Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

101 - 120 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Been for sale for at least 5 years. I have email correspondence with the seller dated 2013. Excerpts:

" I purchased the car in 1999 and I believe it had around 17,000 miles on it. This was my premier car and I put well over $30,000 into it. Overall the car runs very strong and it is great shape for the year and miles. Everyone has their own opinion so you'll have to see for yourself. The issues I can think of is their is a slight squeak in one of the shocks and their is a sensor going out that monitors the front wheel. It trips the suspension light on from time to time. I've put about $8,000 into the car in the last 2 years as you can see service history from Feldman's. I have 18" AMG mono block wheels with All season tires on them and the wheels on the car now I have two sets. The car is being stored this winter in my Father in Law's garage but it's only 25min away so I can access it at anytime. I don't have anymore recent pics then what I put on Craigs. If you are serious I can go over the car in person with you and you can take it for a drive. It's pulls very strong with the V12."

and

"the Car is all body kit which cost about $15,000 for just the parts before its painted and installed. I also have H&R lowering springs in the car which drop it about 1.5". Everything was purchased by me and installed by Mercedes, or Mercedes recommended shops."

and

"All fluids and plugs have been changed. I've replaced several sensors, water pump, and a lot of other things. It's a great car for someone willing to put in a little money and have one of a kind vehicle. I also had a chip in the windshield and go a brand new OEM factory windshield installed a few months ago. The squeak is from the shocks and I've had them checked out at the dealer and this is common for these cars. Functionally they are perfect but it's just a noise issue. You can verify all this from the dealer where I've had the car serviced the last 10 years. These cars are also known to have a slight leak from the power steering pump during cold weather. This is due to the gasket seal shrinking a little and so you may have to add a little power steering fluid in the spring. I also have a car cover and the original stereo deck components. "

Steve

PS In case someone wonders, the Surpa you see on the pictures puts 825HP to the Rear Wheels at 34lbs of boost....not for sale!
Hi SteveB,

Great news for 2018! Just purchased the 1998 S600 with 57K miles and in great shape except monor adjustmentss like refurb of rims etc. Very pleased and looking forward to receive it from UK.
Regards, Erastus

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Hey! Hope am not a sucker! Just bought a 1998 S600 W140 for 16K USD with 57K miles on the speedo and everything in perfect condition mechanically and bodywise. will require refurb of wheels.

Best regards,
Erastus
Congratulations! Show us some pictures!

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I actually thought, based on the condition, that $5,500 for a 1998 S600, if everything works was a pretty good price. But, I think the seller is looking for a sucker.
I apologize for my delayed response the Car is a 99 S600 with some play in the price, looking for a quick sale and I didn't test drive as I think I will go with a 2006 E500 same price with no issues

The issues for the 600 are as follows:

1. Both bumpers need work (front cracked clip missing so not hanging properly missing tow cover, needs refurbish paint/Rear bumper. needs refurbish paint)
2. Rear window regulators not working
3. Rear window is splitting (condensation build up) replacement window included in price (unsure of quality)
4. Rear antenna missing needs replacement (tried to fix and made a mess) repraint rear quarter
4. Trunk does not close properly, leak in pneumatic line handle does not retract
5. Wrong size tires and rims
6. Window switches need replaced (Wood trim in good shape, unsure if windows function properly)
7. Leather needs reconditioning
8. Soft close functions on doors
9. Starts and Runs smooth
10. Rear sunshade operational but needs cleaning and adjustment (noisy going to fail)
11. Body in decent shape, some dings and scratches but appears straight
12. Minimal rust
13. Sunroof functions properly
14. Missing Mercedes Trunk Emblem

Overall not bad for $4500 as a project car, but $5900 is a little much considering the work needed to bring it back to glory

·
Registered
765 Posts
@ burgca , you made the better choice for the money. "Project" W140 cars in the condition you describe are really $2500 to $3500 cars, or less. Maybe more if major service is recent, such as full brake rebuild or comprehensive suspension work. Correcting the items you mentioned on that car are likely only the beginning and getting it right would make your eyes water :crying

The problem is that the money the prior owner spent is NOT an investment, unless they finished the car, and even then they will be under water if they don't keep the it. It's a sickness really. :wink

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I apologize for my delayed response the Car is a 99 S600 with some play in the price, looking for a quick sale and I didn't test drive as I think I will go with a 2006 E500 same price with no issues

The issues for the 600 are as follows:

1. Both bumpers need work (front cracked clip missing so not hanging properly missing tow cover, needs refurbish paint/Rear bumper. needs refurbish paint)
2. Rear window regulators not working
3. Rear window is splitting (condensation build up) replacement window included in price (unsure of quality)
4. Rear antenna missing needs replacement (tried to fix and made a mess) repraint rear quarter
4. Trunk does not close properly, leak in pneumatic line handle does not retract
5. Wrong size tires and rims
6. Window switches need replaced (Wood trim in good shape, unsure if windows function properly)
7. Leather needs reconditioning
8. Soft close functions on doors
9. Starts and Runs smooth
10. Rear sunshade operational but needs cleaning and adjustment (noisy going to fail)
11. Body in decent shape, some dings and scratches but appears straight
12. Minimal rust
13. Sunroof functions properly
14. Missing Mercedes Trunk Emblem

Overall not bad for $4500 as a project car, but $5900 is a little much considering the work needed to bring it back to glory
Thanks for the report. I knew there had to be more to it than what the seller was saying. Now I know why he did not want to allow a PPI. There is no such thing as a cheap W140. But, I keep looking for the diamond in the rough.

·
Registered
61,562 Posts
^ not original dash. EPC light is MY96 only.

You're missing it... this guy can sell. :)

If ad is posted, it means still available.
Location is posted and there is also a map, google it before contacting me for address.
I won't spend another dime in this car since I own 7 more .

I know how much is worth and how rare has become so don't contact me with your stupidity trying to play smart with me.
TEXT ME for address when ready to close the deal SAME DAY.
I have no time for punks with empty pockets.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Guys,

Lets have a running thread on the deals and wacky finds on Craigslist. Try not to post just a link, but upload a picture of the ad, or try screen shot of the ad if possible, so the thread lives forever as these ad's are only good for 7 days.

The R129 forum does this...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1473528-interesting-finds-craigslist.html?highlight=craigslist+deals

it is a buyers market on these cars:

93 Mercedes s500

Yes, it is old, but it is a coupe
Martin's post from late 2016. Then, I bought mine in early 2017. There were a few for sale, 500s and 600s. Like 3. I noticed one a month in working order/complete from then through late last fall. Now, I have seen maybe 2 or 3, and one was a part-out. I have seen nothing on eBay for a month, I searched "all Craigslist" and there are 2 cars. A V8 and a V12. Neither with stock wheels/original.

I think the next 90 days is a key period to see what's left out there as far as the spring selling/buying season. Many OEM parts have gone NLA in the past 12 months, and it looks like the already-scarce supply of the coupes is drying up as well. Buy and hold......long, not short. If you haven't already

·
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Yes, as time goes on their will be less-normal attitude of time on a product

The sale of these cars comes and goes on craig's list, but I'm not after low mileage garage queens with papers.

I buy queens I can tacitly resurrect, and look for a lot of little things others do not see, nor a PPI would NOT see...

Martin

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yes, as time goes on their will be less-normal attitude of time on a product

The sale of these cars comes and goes on craig's list, but I'm not after low mileage garage queens with papers.

I buy queens I can tacitly resurrect, and look for a lot of little things others do not see, nor a PPI would NOT see...

Martin
That's my philosophy with a slight twist!

Someone on here recently bought a 99 S500 sedan with something like teen miles, for something like mid-20s. God bless em, that's a rare bird, but after all that you're still gonna do thousands in road-ready maintenance and repairs as we've all been over and over and on and on about on these boards.

Like you, I go after the survivors, that may have been rode hard, but also have evidence of at least the bare minimums in the service booklet having been taken care of along the way. I throw out the PPI and go with my gut (you throw out the PPI and go with your fine-tooth comb, which is really the smartest way to do it btw!) because I usually don't find the car I want locally, and I also don't want to let my "rational" head make me regret my gut instinct later. If you know these cars and have years of ownership experience, you know a "clean PPI" and a thorough once-over means one thing - you're still going to miss a few grand of "get it just right" repairs. My "law of averages" "gut ppi" has served me pretty well over the years. Of course, if I'd been in CA, 3k miles away, I'd have been a fool to have not done a PPI, or a once over, but you know what? It would mean I would not have this car today, and I'm glad I toughed it out and have just a few more months of toughing it out before it's as close to 100% as any innately-imperfect old Benz can possibly be.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Kent Bergsma of Mercedessource is selling his S600 Coupe and his E320 Coupe as a pair for $17,800. He has several videos on the S600 on YouTube, do a search on "Son of the Beast". It appears to be an extremely clean example. The E320 coupe also appears nice.

Link to his ad on his website:
https://mercedessource.com/store/kents-2-mid-1990s-collector-white-coupes-sale

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
W140 Moderator
7,485 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Lets see how this Thread performs as a Sticky .
I removed my own Sticky Thread "Maintenance Manuals" which is now found in this Thread not to have have to many Stickies on the 1st page . http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1203330-w140-fix-yourself-articles.html
Objections ?. .
I'd suggest combining the Fix it yourself thread and the Photo DIY thread instead as they are the most alike, and leaving the Maintenance manual thread as-is. I like the idea of this thread being a sticky.

Jon

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 211 Posts
About this Discussion
210 Replies
58 Participants
JLCampbell
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing