Really looking for my next car to be a Mercedes.. looking at a W211 E Class as well, more recently I have seen a bunch of early 2000 S classes, a 2001 S430 w/142k , and a 2001 S500 w/127k.. Would you not recommend either of these cars, or one over the other? I'm young so if you could have any insight into that if you think they'd be money pits please let me know. Along with reliability, common problems, what to look for etc. Thank you!
Great cars, but if you dont know how or learn how to work on it yourself, its costly. Ill list the things i like first:
1. You can get a nice luxury car for cheap. ( all the w220 models).
2. Interior leather is nice.
3. Build quality is very good. ( fit and finish,most of the materials are good)
4. Smooth ride.
5. Looks great with the right wheels and tires.
What i dont like:
1. Hard to convert to a aftermarket radio, speakers, etc. because of the fiber optic system. Your factory head unit WILL go out eventually.
2. Over engineered electronics. Too much going on and overly complicated.
3. Expensive to repair.
4. Air suspension system. Can be a very costly repair.
5. Fake wood trim on the doors.
6. These are some of the reasons you can get one for cheap.