Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone!
I am 17 and I am interested in buying a certain 1984 SEC500 for my first project that is listed as being modified by Lorinser.
Since this is my first time buying an SEC Mercedes or any car in general I was hoping some of the more experienced people could help me out a bit. The car is listed in for sale on a Finnish car site but is based in Estonia (where I luckily live!). I have been looking at different old Mercedes and have even looked at one it was a 450SLC was a bit too rough for a first project. Okay i am getting a bit besides the point. I will try to post some pictures of the car and would like if people could tell me what I should look at when i go to inspect the car and how much should i try to pay for it. It is listed for 7000€. The car is listed having 230 000km.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,089 Posts
Welcome!

That vehicle looks very interesting with its many Lorinser accessories.

Pricing varies a lot by country so I have no idea what the going rate for a 1984 SEC with Lorinser bits would be in Estonia. You're going to have to find some local Mercedes-Benz enthusiasts to guide you.

With any car this age and high miles there are lots of issues to cover.

The primary concern would be the condition of the body and chassis. Too much rust and it's not going to be a viable project.

The next issue to address are all the mechanical issues. Does it consume oil? Have the timing chain and guides been replaced? Is the cooling system working properly? Does the transmission shift properly? What about brakes, suspension components, steering box, etc.?

Find someone local to you with knowledge of these vehicles and give this Lorinser a good inspection.

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
388 Posts
open the boot and look at the rear parcel shelf this is a common place for rust and rot its a big job expensive and the panel is no longer available so you would need to fabricate it or find a rot free one which is not going to be easy
check under doors its a common rot area
lower quarter where bumpers slide onto common rot area and again no longer available
Timing chain tensioner probably due
leaking steering box
If it has sls check it functions well

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys a lot for the helpful replies. I
have a question about the Lorinser modifications themselves. If it has the lorinser gauges etc does it also have engine modifications?
If you guys look at the picture where you can see the gauges there is also an “abs” light on. Does that mean that the system itself is broken or could it also be an easy fix?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,435 Posts
I saw the abs light on too. Luckily it's usually an easy fix yep, quite often just the over voltage protection module. These can go faulty, or get damaged by jump starting.
The idle is a bit high, but that can be due to that same unit. Not expensive from MB.

The car looks nice, but as mentioned above, it's all about the rust when it's not somewhere like California. Just be aware that the thick coating underneath is great, but can split and still completely hide corrosion. Do check the rust thread here on the forum by using search.

Most often these cars have bits added at a later date by owners. It's likely this one has too. No matter, its attractive isn't it. Just don't accept any inflation of value on that score unless documents are available.

Price would be good for the UK, not sure how it goes in Estonia but it seems kind of well priced for somewhere they aren't a common car.

It will no doubt have its problems, but they are lovely cars to work on if you have the inclination. If not, you need a good honest mechanic who knows these cars, and a bit of money.
You just need to avoid anything major.

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
1,894 Posts
SEC500? I shake my head when people can't even get the model number correct on a car they are interested in, I bet it will look great next to your Audi M3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw the abs light on too. Luckily it's usually an easy fix yep, quite often just the over voltage protection module. These can go faulty, or get damaged by jump starting.
The idle is a bit high, but that can be due to that same unit. Not expensive from MB.

The car looks nice, but as mentioned above, it's all about the rust when it's not somewhere like California. Just be aware that the thick coating underneath is great, but can split and still completely hide corrosion. Do check the rust thread here on the forum by using search.

Most often these cars have bits added at a later date by owners. It's likely this one has too. No matter, its attractive isn't it. Just don't accept any inflation of value on that score unless documents are available.

Price would be good for the UK, not sure how it goes in Estonia but it seems kind of well priced for somewhere they aren't a common car.

It will no doubt have its problems, but they are lovely cars to work on if you have the inclination. If not, you need a good honest mechanic who knows these cars, and a bit of money.
You just need to avoid anything major.
Thanks for the info! This car would serve as a project for me and my father so i am definitely very excited about it. I will definitely post more if we end up buying the car or even if we don’t.

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,732 Posts
The repair panel that is under the rear glass that rusts on SEC's is not NLA - P/N 126-647-05-01 is still available circa $120.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts