Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SL600 and 2005 SL500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings and thanks for any help. 2004 SL600 intercooler pump making a slight squeeling noise. Figured pump was going/gone bad so replaced and still have same squeeling sound. Also tested old pump and does pump water well. I am pretty sure there is a good amount of air still in the system. The only video or way I have seen to bleed the air was to take the schrader valves off of the top pipes and pipe into radiator cap to bleed (i hope you guys know what i am describing). This has not worked at all and we have seen no fluid movement thru the clear tubing we used.

What is the proper way to bleed or completely fill the intercooler pump system properly.

Also, what turns the pump on/off or does it stay on all the time. I have read there is a relay, is that correct and what triggers it on/off.

Thanks very much for any help.

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
Greetings and thanks for any help. 2004 SL600 intercooler pump making a slight squeeling noise. Figured pump was going/gone bad so replaced and still have same squeeling sound. Also tested old pump and does pump water well. I am pretty sure there is a good amount of air still in the system. The only video or way I have seen to bleed the air was to take the schrader valves off of the top pipes and pipe into radiator cap to bleed (i hope you guys know what i am describing). This has not worked at all and we have seen no fluid movement thru the clear tubing we used.

What is the proper way to bleed or completely fill the intercooler pump system properly.

Also, what turns the pump on/off or does it stay on all the time. I have read there is a relay, is that correct and what triggers it on/off.

Thanks very much for any help.
Are you positive you replaced the correct pump? there is one for intercooler, and another for circulating coolant while engine speed is slow, to help the heater core stay warm at traffic light and long idle, etc.

Both pumps can be turned on at will using SDS in engine managment diagnosis.

Both pumps are self bleeding, because they have narrow hoses, and almost never need special work to bleed them.

·
Registered
2004 SL600 and 2005 SL500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bayhas, thank you very much for responding. I know we replaced the right pump because we followed noise as well as followed lines, etc to the intercooler system.

My main question would be how to bleed the intercooler plumbing system because when we replaced the pump there seemed to be very little fluid in the system (did not clamp lines to or from pump and almost no fluid ran out) When we went to fill the system we put just a little fluid in the fill cap and that topped it off. When we then ran her we still got squeals from the pump which we believed was due to not enough fluid in system so pump lost its prime - or air in system.

Anyway...following your input - is it correct to believe that - any air in system will go up to the schrader ports at the top of the system and should be bled out under pressure over time. Then simply pour replacement fluid in intercooler fill cap?

Thanks for any help. Live in whats called Slower Lower Delaware - even mercedes dealer has not not worked on many if any sl600 and does not know what RennTech is. (I have RennTech upgrades including intercooler).

Again, THANKS VERY MUCH

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
Keep in mind in SL600 and SL65 the intercooling circuit is separate from main cooling circuit, Mercedes call is low temp cooling system.

Make sure the fluid in the low temp circuit is adequate.

·
Registered
'06 E500, '99 ML430 & '07 SL65 AMG
648 Posts
The WIS process for bleeding the low temperature system is very involved. What i have been successful in doing, is to fill it up as much as I can, drive the car until it is warm, use the Schreader valve to bleed (you will hear air until there is coolant coming out). When the engine is cold, I would fill it up with coolant through the filler.

Repeat until there is no more air coming out when warm. It takes a few drives until you get it completely aired out. As bayhas points out, the pump is self-bleeding so there should not be any air trapped in there.

If you REALLY want the WIS process, I can find it for you, but fair warning, you will not be able to do it unless you buy the special equipment that is needed.

·
Registered
W164 GL450, W221 S550, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
880 Posts
SO, how separate are the intercooler system water from the radiator system coolant? My SL600 began leaking coolant about a half gallon to drive 10-15 miles. Shop says it was an intercooler hose that has a small slit in it. The place where I was adding water was the main coolant reservoir. So, when they replace all the intercooler hoses (they are 14 years old) there should be no more coolant leak. But why would the main reservoir be the one that is down a half gallon? If they replace all those hoses and clamps, (Have to get them from Germany!) and there is still a leak I will be pretty unhappy. Is there someplace where those two coolant systems share their coolant? If not then there is possibly another leak as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is my second favorite specialty tool in the shop! Gets ALL of the air out and coolant in QUICKLY. There are cheaper versions but I use this quite a bit so I went with quality over price. It also checks for leaks under vacuum. HTH

Amazon.com: UView 550000 Airlift Cooling System Leak Checker and Airlock Purge Tool Kit: Automotive
I just found this info. I have a 2005 SL600 I need to bleed my intercoolers of air and my radiator after disassembly and refit. Will this system you have posted do the job that I'm trying to accomplish? Any help would be appreciated. I have other guys suggesting several other products adding up to $250, this system above on Amazon is nearly have that price. Also guys are saying I need to run the pump independently of the engine running using a STAR/DAS system which I currently don't have yet. Do I need to invest in this also just to bleed this system?

Thanks Wayne

·
Registered
1 Posts
You will be fine with the air lift. It is an exceptional tool and has served me well. I have used it at least 100 times since I have purchased it. I will never do a cooling system refill without it. It is not worth the risk of an air pocket which can damage the engine.

·
Registered
W164 GL450, W221 S550, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
880 Posts
I got one of those vacuum radiator coolant system bleeder/filler kits, Haven't used it yet but one day...
If replacing a intercooler pump, advisable to get from FCPeuro, the Bosch pump with part number ending in "010" that flows about 2X the flow of the original this will get you about an additional 25-30 HP due to more cooling. RennTech sells a pump for a huge amount of money that flows about 4-5X 5the flow of original but probably doesn't get you that many more HP and for the money the 010 pump is really best. That said, the RennTech ECU upgrade is absolutely incredible if more power would be what you were looking for! But, I digress. Earlier versions of the V12 Twin turbo had a hose nipple near the filler cap at rear of motor for the instercooler "low temp" cooling system. When shutdown at high temp, some coolant could drip out of this hose nipple then later you will have small anout of air int e system. Later versions of the twin turbo fitted a reservoir like a little brake master cylinder looking thing that would catch these drips so the system wouldn't be getting air in it. There are threads on here that describe the retrofit of this reservoir if you wanted to do a little project and install that on yours. I haven't yet, but maybe one day... When one of my intercooler system hoses began to crack and leak, I had a local foreign car shop that is super familiar and experienced with these Benzos replace every coolant hose on the car, and as I said the whole kit of intercooler hoses had to be ordered from mercedes and came from Germany after weeks of waiting. After that, every hose on the SL600 is new again, and the car is super happy. Definitely the fastest thing I have ever driven, and the most amazing car!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts