Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
looking at your setup:
running a single pulleyed m62 and especially the oem w202 intercooler I can imagine the cheap ebay cooler being a small improvement over oem. There is still a ton of room for improvement

I had nothing but crap with my ebay ic experience: my old car (m45 blower) felt like it has lost a lot of torque (even during cold weather) no leaks to be found, iat's were better but performance was very bad, so I went back to the oem ic and the power was back, (maybe during a hot summer day it would have performed a little better then oem)

my opinion: these universal ebay bar&plate designs are good for turboswaps with adjustable boost pressure but have no place on cars with small superchargers like ours.

I installed the new core this weekend:

the performance is the same as my old blown one, so I'm very satisfied

performance numbers using perfexpert app and 100% accurate car/weather data: 263hp/404nm
(the car has been on a rolling road producing very simular numbers in the past)

for fun: old blown core vs oem cooler:

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
W202 230K Sport manual & a few non Merc's
389 Posts
Ndrmini, thanks for your input. :thumbsup:

My original I.C. has plastic end tanks. I bought an all alloy I.C. (also from a W202) in case I decided to get it modified with a new/better/larger tube & fin core. So, I may just do that as I'm more encouraged more than ever after taking onboard your comments. Gelukkig Nieuwjaar.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's a great idea John! ook een gelukkig nieuwjaar ;) and the car will look a lot better to with the bumper removed

to measure performance:
if you have an android phone you might consider buying the app "perfexpert" not the cheapest app but it provides very accurate results with weather correction

the downside is that it needs accurate calibration and carspecs (gearbox ratio's, precise actual car weight, drag coefficient)
for the carweight: best way is to put it on a scale (a the junkyard or so) with a full tank of gas

that way when you change stuff on the car you will be able to measure small performance changes

about boost:
forget about boost, use the maf signal, the maf measures the amount of air, the more flow, the better

1 bar means nothing if there is no flow ;)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Reckoned this is worth sharing , especially for anybody with plastic end tanks. This factory I.C. has been sitting around for a year on a shelf. It was tested prior to removal and had no leaks, a buddy of mine was going to use it as a mock up on a project car and after testing found it was leaking between the plastic tank and the alloy core - see photo. Basically, these cheapo OEM I.C.'s should be avoided or replaced once they get on in age or boost pressure is raised.

[/url]InkedIMG_20190715_133528564_LI by Johnny Slow, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
389 Posts
Update!

Boost pressure loss is still minimal, if there's is some I can't see the loss on my mechanical (and expensive) boost gauge. .
I put the car back on the road last month for the first time since late last year and gave it a service, checked things over including checking for boost leaks, found one at the MAF were the sensor seats into the housing. But more importantly I rigged up an electronic pressure gauge just to double check the actual boost pressure. Well, well! The larger I.C. has reduced boost pressure by 1.4 psi, not 0.5 as per my mechanical gauge.

Now, I'm sure Subby and Ndrmini (thanks for your input guys) will not be surprised in the slightest (see previous posts) and I for one can now verify that a 90% increase in I.C. core size for the M62 with just a larger crank pulley is only going to cause a boost loss while giving better I.A.T.'s. I prefer to have the boost, so I've now fitted the standard I.C. but this time the older version ,this can be modified being all alloy for a slightly larger deeper core which is the easiest option on the W202, rather than the original later type with the plastic end tanks which was fitted to my car.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gGMxxm]All alloy I.C. by Johnny Slow, on Flickr[/URL]

·
Registered
97 Posts
a 1.4psi drop isn't to bad really,

don't forget that cooling down air makes it denser, you will always end up with a little less pressure compared to the stock intercooler

I also think for a single pulley, the aluminium w202 intercooler you posted with a slightly larger lightweight tube/fin core should be indeed perfect for your application

·
Registered
1999 200Ko ASPpulley 225HP AMG Sway bars/wiechers strut/carbon console /17" wheels/SLK32 calipers
90 Posts
Hello community , i have an slk200 with the ASP ring and i have found an offer on a KWE intercooler .I am wondering if i Shall change it from the CRXracing one .Is it so much better that the chinese intercooler we have all used.Thank you .

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hello community , i have an slk200 with the ASP ring and i have found an offer on a KWE intercooler .I am wondering if i Shall change it from the CRXracing one .Is it so much better that the chinese intercooler we have all used.Thank you .
It's waste of money to be honest, the core is the same as the chinese ones (judging from the pictures, but as usual, i could be wrong)

·
1998 SLK 230
2,594 Posts

·
Registered
1999 200Ko ASPpulley 225HP AMG Sway bars/wiechers strut/carbon console /17" wheels/SLK32 calipers
90 Posts
I just bought one with a good discount,yes i am referring to the KWE intercooler which seems to be 3 inches thick instead of 2 and a half of the crxracing or 2 inceches of the original mercedes.I will post pictures from the exchange one i have it in my hands.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Goodmorning, the KWE intercooler is here.Have a look .Later today i shall start with the fitting.I will post more photos later i guess.I will exchange the common CRX racing i bought and run successfully since 2008.

·
Registered
7 Posts
121 - 132 of 132 Posts