Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before I get into my new intercooler install and the info about where you guys can buy it and I promise you all you will all want to buy one let me post some photos and a very short history of past intercoolers and the problems as I saw them.

The first thing I want to make very clear is that I always take a very long time going over any mod before I take action. I look at the past attempts and previous mods on the SLK's if any were made and then I will just sit back and look at my car. If possible I will ask Damo to photo shop the mod if it is a mod that requires photo shopping. I will then sometimes take another 6 months just asking others what they think and taking my sweet time before I take any action.

In this case it has been around 4 years of gathering info. Buellwinkle made a lot of attempts and I owe him a debt of grattitude for the large amount of time and money he spent on his car so many thanks Carl.

The intercooler that Renntech made for Carl had the worst end tanks I have ever seen in my life. No wonder they had such bad results. From what I have seen each intercooler made for the SLK's all had design flaws. Even the Brabus intercooler, with some of the finest welding I have ever seen, and that is the cores were just to damm thick and as a result there was to much pressure loss. On a car that has a turbo you can just crank up the boost controller but on a car that uses old small roots blowers you cannot afford to lose boost period. The Brabus intercooler is almost 4" thick!!! Another flaw was that no one modified the air dam on the front bumpers to get more air to cool that frontal area of the core. Another more serious flaw was that they did not install custom intercooler shrouding. A really BIG mistake that Brabus made was that they mounted the intercooler so far forward that even if a person was to modify the air damm to increase the air flow and install custom shrouding the intercooler is so far foward there is no way to get that extra air flow over the core. I know Brabus knows what they are doing but anyone who knows about air flow can see my points are valid. It is about Brabus knowing thier customers and what they would be willing to spend versus results but I also bet thier engineers would agree with me 100%

Brabus claims thier intercooler gains 10bhp. The OEM intercooler is just a tad under 5" X 22" X 2". This is 220 square inches. The Brabus is 22" X 7" X 3.34 for 514 square inches. Snogard paid 1.5K for his and since Brabus no longer makes parts for the R170 anymore if you were lucky to find one I am sure the price would be well over 2k and quite possibly well above that amount depending on where you located it. I LOVE anything BRABUS and do not doubt any claims they make but this is one claim I would have to see to beleive. The Brabus intercooler is well over 200% larger than the OEM intercooler. The ACC intercooler is 530 Euros and this translates into $780.00. It is 75% larger than our OEM intercooler. I have serious concerns with the inlet endtank. Notice how square it is. This cannot be good for smooth air flow. The reports on the German SLK forums are very positive and the owner is Gerad and his is really a nice man. I just think it is not tall enough and for me it is all about the frontal core area for cooling efficency.

The intercooler I purchased off of Ebay is 2 1/2" X 22" X 7" and is 385 square inches or 75% larger. It is the high quality bar and plate design. Matt from our forums came over to give me a helping hand. To our amazment it slide right in and required NO grinding, cutting or any modifications at all. I thought on the left hand side of the radiator bracket I might have to cut out a piece that is angled just a tad bit to ensure I could have it as far back as possible to ensure it would get as much air flow over the core for all of the reasons I mentioned above. I only had to drill 2 holes for the top 2 mounting brackets. For the bottom 2 brackets you can use 2 existing holes!!!! What more can you ask for!

Matt used some rubber stripping with adheasive on the back that I had purcahed from Home Depot some time ago for my doors. He placed it on the bottom of the bracket and on the top of the bumper to when the intercooler sat it would be sealed air tight and it would not rub against any metal. It also sits against the bumper but is against the rubber seal.

I am going to use this weekend to remove the bumper, install the shrouding, and cut and modify the air dam on the bumper to flow more air. It will bring out the grill mesh I bought flush with the same mesh I used for my fog lights that I removed. The stock air damm is 3" tall and when I am done it will be around 5" tall. The one photo shows what it will look like. I think it will make my car look much more agressive. Not for everyone but I love the look. We used rubber washers so the intercooler is mounted tight but has leeway.

I bought the 2 90 degree silcoine elbows from Boost Controllers.com. They are 2 1/2" and I also bought 2 metal 2 1/2" couplers from them. I would recommend buying 1 2 1/2" to 2 1/4" reducing silicone elbow for the inlet side and of course one 2 1/4" metal coupler for the inlet side. We used the 2 1/2" tube and coupler on the inlet side but damm was it tight. If not for Matts skills with rubbers we would have been up shit creek without a paddle. The outlet side has an OEM reducing rubber piece that works real good so Matts skills were only required on the inlet and not the oulet. This is starting to creep me out. I think he used a lubricant which he said .......................lets stop this right now. Matt is really good at what he does....................... oh you guys get the picture. My family was right upstairs and the door was wide open. The garage door. STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The intercooler is from Ebay. The seller is ETD Motors. The title of the item was CXRacing INTERCOOLER 28x7x2.5 HONDA CIVIC CRX DEL SOL. COST........$59.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to post photos of the older intercoolers but I will post photos of the Brabus intercooler to show you guys how far forward it is mounted and how thick it is and the rest is of mine and that silly guy is Matt. $59.00 vs thousands. Pressure loss. I felt none. My wife says she felt the car ran faster. I am going to now replace the intercooler inlet and outlet piping with 2 1/2" piping. Geting ready for that modified M45 boys!!!!! $59.00 boys!! !!!

They have a website at CXRacing.com. You can just buy the intercooler right from them and they also sell the tubing and couplers really cheap. Nice people and the product speaks for itself. Much better design that the ACC and $780.00 versus $59.00 and that ACC price does not even include the import and mailing price. Best part I have ever found on my own for my car period. The Duke is looking down on me smiling with pride doing shooters saying "Thats my boy". Ask Matt What he thinks. Well Matt????????

When you call them ask for Kevin. They are very helpful and return emails right away and are located in California so support South Cali!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6
72 Posts
Matts skills with rubbers we would have been up shit creek without a paddle. The outlet side has an OEM reducing rubber piece that works real good so Matts skills were only required on the inlet and not the oulet. This is starting to creep me out. I think he used a lubricant which he said .......................lets stop this right now. Matt is really good at what he does....................... oh you guys get the picture. My family was right upstairs and the door was wide open. The garage door. STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL, I'm speechless :eek:

Steve Johnson said:
Ask Matt What he thinks. Well Matt????????
Back on topic :thumbsup: the intercooler fits like a glove. Only simple brackets were needed to be cut to securely mount the chiller. The biggest pain had to be getting that coupler in the OEM intercooler piping.

·
Registered
1999 MB SLK 230 Sport 5Spd
392 Posts
:thumbsup: Wow Steve, awesome install... :thumbsup:

You read my mind... i was thinking renntech or ACC front-mount, but 1K+ [email protected]&K That! lol Ebay intercooler is the SAME quality as ACC and so much better priced! I'm planning on doing that FMIC and piping in about 3 weeks :D with before and afters(dyno runs + boost readings and full powerband pressure read-outs). Sorry i haven't emailed you or called, been a little busy lately, new apartment and new job have me running around... Good luck with those pipes, let me know how difficult they were...

Thanks for the pics:bowdown:

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Matt, I am going to buy a 2 1/2" to 2 1/4 reducing elbow tonight to ensure long lifebut the more I look at it the more I cannot belive how easy it went in. Now no one on thos forum has no excuses to not buy an intercooler. The car feels a tad faster but no pressure loss for sure. The numbers the company posted for the intercooler are right on the money. I wonder how many members will actually buy it. $59.00 so they have no excuses. No skills. It fits right in and only 2 holes to drill. No excuses. But you will see as always you can lead them to the water but................. well you know the rest. Your help was so .....well.... helpful!!! I just wish we had a pre and post dyno fo just the air filter. What do you think it was good for. On hot days have you ever tried touching your air filter to see how hot it gets. In city driving I have go to think it gets very hot. Timew to take nap. I am still burned out from Sunday night!!!!!!!!! How as the drink for the misses. At least the injectors should only take about hlaf an hour at most!!!!!!!!! When do you wan to do the grill mesh install!!!!

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
:thumbsup: Wow Steve, awesome install... :thumbsup:

You read my mind... i was thinking renntech or ACC front-mount, but 1K+ [email protected]&K That! lol Ebay intercooler is the SAME quality as ACC and so much better priced! I'm planning on doing that FMIC and piping in about 3 weeks :D with before and afters(dyno runs + boost readings and full powerband pressure read-outs). Sorry i haven't emailed you or called, been a little busy lately, new apartment and new job have me running around... Good luck with those pipes, and if you do the MAS let me know how difficult, maby I'll give it a whirl!

Thanks for the pics:bowdown:

Peter, There is no way the ACC is the same quality as my intercooler. The bottom of the inlet end tank of the ACC is really lousy. It is square and will disrupt the air flow really bad. Just look at it my friend. The end tanks are way to big for the core. How they sell my intercooler for $59.00 and make any money I will never know but ask Matt about the quality. He can vouch for everything I am saying.

Look at the welds on the end tanks of the ACC. Crap. Now look at the welds on my $59.00 intercooler. The photos speak for themselves. The end tanks on the ACC were like extra pieces someone found and just used without any thought to air flow. The inlet side is square for christ sake and you would think the $780.00 intercooler (closer to 1K with import and postage) would have the smooth end tanks, nice welds, and the taller frotanl area which take advantage to the SLK's bumpoer layout. The ACC intercooler is 23.5" long and is mounted out much farther which means you will end up with the same problem as the Brabus. Pretty clear choice. OPen up the PDf file. IT is the install file for the ACC intercooler. Check out the end tanks and there is even one of the brackets that you are required to bend yourself!!!! For that price I would think it would be easier to install than a $59.00 installer but such is not the case. The owner of the ACC company is such a nice man, will return your emials and will even negotiate the price a few eruos but I mean a few euros and that is it. I think with shipping he offered to sell one to me for around $800.00 but for under $100.00 I bougth one that is a bar and plate that requires no modifications, mounts as far back as is possible, and will take full advantage of the shrouding and increasing air flow when I modify my front bumper. Case closed. I can use the extra money saved for other parts!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 MB SLK 230 Sport 5Spd
392 Posts
Steve, by quality i mean welded and fabricated, but wow did you prove me wrong, lol didn't see any clear pictures of the welds and THEY SUCK! lol next week I'm ordering my intercooler, but not really doing much until my pipes are ready and i have a chance to dyno it stock... I'm still getting used to the car, only 1-2 weeks into driving it and i don't want to let it go! (first day filled up 2 times LMAO) left the garage at 545am and didn't get back till 3am next morning... i think i got out 3 times, and never more then 1 hour...

still debating on sleeping in it at night, but the seats don't recline :(

·
1998 SLK 230
2,594 Posts
looking good! i might get one myself soon...

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 Sport
138 Posts
Is this the right one? Overall Size 28"X7"X2.5", Core Size 22"x7"x2.5", 2.5" Inlet & Outlet, 2.5" Core. I didn't see any metal couplers on either website you mentioned. Do you have a part number for the 2-1/4" metal coupler?

·
Registered
98 slk230, 02 X5, 06 RX 400, 98 civic TC, 86 celica gts.
251 Posts
I have same front intercooler on my other car for like 2 years now and i tell you I never had boost leak. Ebay cheap and all worth the money if you know exactly what your doing. For that price I would buy one extra incase you hit a mad squirrel and f^&*k up your intercooler:D..Good job man! Make sure you bent the end of the locking clamp 90' towards screw this will prevent from getting loose during vibration. :thumbsup:

Maintenance tools for intercooler = Twezers...:D use to pull out stuck rocks..

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Is this the right one? Overall Size 28"X7"X2.5", Core Size 22"x7"x2.5", 2.5" Inlet & Outlet, 2.5" Core. I didn't see any metal couplers on either website you mentioned. Do you have a part number for the 2-1/4" metal coupler?
That is the right one! The core is 22" x 7" x 2.5" and the over all size is 28" x7" x 2.5 and the inlet and outlet is 2.5". Boost controller .com has the metal couplers I can assure you. call them if you have to but they have them on the website. Like I said call them if you need to but they are there. If you guys have any problems whatsoever call me at (858)699-7353 and I will hook you up. No problemo dudes!!!!!!! So Cal all the way!!!!!!!!!!! As far as a 2 1/4" metal coupler I do not think they sell that size so I will find one ok!!!! If not then try a web search and I bet you can find one. We just took our 2 1/2" and sanded down the end and filed it down some and it went in with some vaseline. Now here come the comments. It will work but it will be a 2 man job.
Now more comments. Sorry about this Matt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am just trying to make it easy for you guys but if you cannot find the 2 1/4" coupler just use the 2 1/2" coupler and call Matt. Sorry Matt! Get the Vaseline and sand and file and call Matt. Sorry Matt!!!!!!!!!!

Now when I mean any problems I am not talking about problems like Matts and I am not F...ing Dear Abbey ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feel free to call but no deep panting in the back ground and the very first time I hear that shit and a zipper unzipping I am changing my number!

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Leave it to Jeff for the 1st comments!!!!!!!! Kevin from CXRacing is getting involved and will know which intercooler you guys will want. Here is a photo of the box just in case. Jeff you will have a September box in the mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt is one of the best guys I have ever met and has a great sense of humor but I do not want to take this thing to far so the Matt jokes stop here and now. Besides you guys have Steve to kick around anyway.

The OEM shrouding will be able to be modified and I am going to work on that this weekend. Matt and myself looked at the front bumper. I posted a photo of what it is going to look like when I enlarger the front air damm to lfow more air. The OEM opening is just under 3" and I am going to have it enlarged to just under 5" so that should make quite a difference and it will also show off that good looking intercooler. I think I will have a local body shop modify the bumper for me. Cost will be minimal and that way I will not fkck it up as I do most projects.

Attachments

·
1998 SLK 230
2,594 Posts
doing calcs based on diff manafactures claims this cooler should be good for up to ~300bhp... the stock cooler looks like its good for ~220bhp.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Very nice and clean install you have there. I do a lot of work with Kevin and their products are top notch and cheap. You should get a Group Buy together.

·
Registered
Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6
72 Posts
Matt, I am going to buy a 2 1/2" to 2 1/4 reducing elbow tonight to ensure long...
Yea that's probably not a bad idea.

Steve Johnson said:
I just wish we had a pre and post dyno fo just the air filter. What do you think it was good for. On hot days have you ever tried touching your air filter to see how hot it gets. In city driving I have go to think it gets very hot.
I haven't checked it but I'm sure that it is marginally warm. I still gotta get you the overall dimensions of the piping to get that coating quote. We could always throw the small K&N back on, get it dynoed, then throw the Green filter on and see if there are any number changes??

Steve Johnson said:
How as the drink for the misses.
She dug it :thumbsup:

Steve Johnson said:
At least the injectors should only take about hlaf an hour at most!!!!!!!!!
Yea like the 1hour quote to install the intercooler :1poke: I Kid I Kid :thumbsup:

Steve Johnson said:
When do you wan to do the grill mesh install!!!!
That may have to wait till the weekend of the 30th?

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice and clean install you have there. I do a lot of work with Kevin and their products are top notch and cheap. You should get a Group Buy together.
IMHO based upon the quality of the intercooler this speaks volumes about you. Welcome to the disfunctional family. I have to tell you though I was never smart enough to even make the checkers club and I am not the head cheese around here but as you found out the dick cheese. Agains WTTC Anthony!

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Matt, Just let me know when you can do the grill mesh and we will do the injectors at the same time. I really would not worry to much about putting your car through dyno runs just to prove gains for the filter. We both know what it gained. It would be a differnt story if we were trying to fab up an intake like Anthony but in your case no worries. It really even surprised me as to the gain. If your filter does get that hot sitting in front of the radiator then I think Anthony might just have a chance to pick up some nice gains with his idea!

1 - 20 of 132 Posts