Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1983 380SEC that I have had on blocks for a few years. A friend has a mint 84 500SEC that needs a tranny and engine. Can the 83 380SEC engine and transmission fit the 84 500SEC?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it'll fit, but you'll also need to change the diff, speedo and probably exhaust, and the engine management, etc. if you want it to run well.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is simply not true -- the speedometers, differentials, and the exhaust systems are identical from 1983 to 1984. Your swap should go as smooth as silk, John.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all,<br>
<br>
Ron I hope and really believe you are right. The consensus elsewhere is that its a good, easy fit.<br>
Andrew, looking at the 2 engines side by side they look identical i.e. same block size, and appear to have the same bolt pattern on the exaust manifold as well as exaust pipes. I can't see what engine displacement has to do with speedo performance?<br>
<br>
John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The US delivered 380 and 500 SEC's had the same diff ratios- 2.47:1 .All other 500 SEC's (that is, everywhere else in the world) had the 2.24 diffs. So, if you're in the US, unless the 500 was an import, it'll work in that respect. The change in ratios is what would effect the speedo. <br> Good luck.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ron and Andrew,<br>
<br>
Thankyou very much for the responces. The two vehicles in question here are both in Canada. I will certainly check the specs for each. Thanks again.<br>
<br>
John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts