Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any source available that would assist me in finding out what parts would fit my "85" 300D Turbo from other 123"s. For instance would a trans from a 1981 300D fit into my car, etc.
Thanks

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
I dont know if you care but thought id mention, if you were interested in electric seats, the sd seats fit right in and wire them up to the ash tray. Just thought id mention it [|)]

MARSH

·
Registered
500 Posts
What you probably need is an EPC (Electronic Parts Catalog), basically the Mercedes dealer parts catalog. They cover all models from the 1960's to present. Have seen them on Ebay in the past. For some parts, you could use aftermarket parts dealers online catalogs, such as this site. Just look up your car, then the car you are looking to get a part from and see if they are the same part number.

As far as the transmission, I know the turbo models used a heavier duty transmission than the non-turbos, but don't know if they can be swapped.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
55Gullwing - 4/27/2005 10:39 AM

So I guess that means that the power seats are all self contained (switches are on seats?) and only need power and ground?
Yes exactly, wasnt to hard to wire, i just bolted the ground wire down to one of the seat bolts, the left front one. And the positive wire i ran up to the ash tray. Of course blew a fuse after a few tries so i put a higher amp fuse in and now it works perfect. I bolted the Switch underneat the seat in the front. I like them alot because there is more movement and they are alot more comfortable. But i would never spend money on the seats, i got them for free so i thought, why not? The only downside is the seats are creme color and the rest of the interior is that blood red color. But no big deal.

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the advice. I use salvage yards as a source of parts and have difficulty at times on what year Benz's are similar.
John

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,428 Posts
In general, it's safe sticking to cars from 1982 - 84 for turbos. 1985 123 diesels have a lot of changes, such as injection pump, transmission, turbo, etc. A lot of other stuff is unchanged. You just have to be careful when taking parts off an '85. In your case, stick with cars from 1977 - 81 when you can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts