Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560 SEL
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 560SEL with the original radio. I don't want to change the 'look' but want to have the capability to integrate a CD player/iPod with the car.

I think I can install CD and iPod but can only use with audio via transmission to a designated FM station.

I am seeking other options for hardwiring for better sound and wanted to know if anyone else out there had any concepts or solutions. Would also entertain a new radio, but only if it is was in keeping with the older look of the car. Trying to restore and keep the car for long time to come. Money no object.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Sedan
67 Posts
I've been thinking about this as well. My 94 E320 with the Becker 1492 looks good and I don't want to replace the head unit.

Here's a thought I'd like to see fleshed out:

1. My stereo has a CD changer input. This connector has 10 or so pins on it.

2. P.I.E. sells (thru Crutchfield) a $40 adapter that allows me to hook an Alpine 6 disc changer to the 1492.

So, I wonder what the connector's pinout looks like - Does it have a 'line-in' for left and right channel? If so, could I engineer a custom connector to provide an aux input for the 1492?

And if that's the case, couldn't any Mercedes stereo with an CD connector be configured as well? At this point I'm not so much concerned with the 1492's ability to control the ipod, but I am concerned with the sound quality of an FM modulator -- the bandwidth compression is unacceptable.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Sedan
67 Posts
ipod adapter for 1994-1995 E class!

I think I may have a solution *IF* your car has the plug for the option cd changer --

I looked at the PIE adapter and found that it creates an 'M-bus' connector which can control the disc changer. I then found an 'aux input' cable for an M-bus head unit.

So, my thought is to spend $20 on the adapter and $15 on the aux cable and viola, I have a hard wired input for my ipod.

I found the stuff at Crutchfield.

P.I.E. MBZ-ALP -- CD controller $20
Alpine KCM-122B -- aux input $15

I'm buying the stuff and will let you know.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Sedan
67 Posts
RE: ipod adapter for 1994-1995 E class!

Well, I struck out on this one. The M-bus is far more than a simple on/off circuit.

The left and right channels are indeed in the connector, but the Mercedes radio requires a stream of communication between the changer and itself.

I did however find that Monster's icruze has determined this earlier and truly come out with a good solution. Although they sell for $250, I found one on ebay for $160.

Additionally, Monster says that M-bus is used on Mercedes from 1994-1998, which is a lot of cars, in my mind. My 94 E320 fits this bill.

I guess I'm out $35, but at least the icruze will allow me to get where I want to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts