Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
E320 W211
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some reading in the past month and found a lot of informative pages describing the options for retrofitting phone. But unfortunately I haven't found any solutions for 2005 W211 (E-class) yet due to the MOST ring. And I just received an email from mikbox saying no support is planned for near future.

What options do I have, or should I just kick myself for not ordering it during the original purchase? Are the phone stuff pre-wired?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 E500
141 Posts
Your 2005 is pre-wired for a phone. This is not an item that has to be installed at the factory. It does however require a large number of components to be added to the car. I drive a 2005 E500 which was delivered on 10/29/04 and I had the phone (a V600) installed in late January 2005 at the dealership.

"Pre-Wiring" means just that: the "wire" is in the frame of the car where it is supposed to be and the dealer only needs to hook up the neccessary equipment to it and it will integrate perfectly.

The MB phone kit includes something like eight (8) additional pieces of equipment that need to get put in for it to work correctly with your COMAND headunit. Not the least important of these is the MB version of the Motorola handset which includes special software that allows it to integrate with the system in your car. A "regular" V60/V600/V710 like you might buy on Ebay or Amazon.com WILL NOT work with the MB system.

The full install takes about a day and costs around $2,400 or $2,900 depending on whether or not you get the voice activiation option put in (which I recommend that you DO get put in).

Its not cheap, but it works incredibly well. The reception, when the handset is plugged into the car (which connects the phone to an antenna power booster and the exterior antenna on your roof) is practically unshakeable. The integration of the handset with the car is also beautifully implemented. Being able to select your numbers from the COMAND headunit, or by voice is really nice, and the fact that it mutes whatever audio you are listening to and/or plays the phones ring tone loud & clear under any circumstances (via your stereo speakers) is a real benefit. I have missed important business calls in the past because I didn't hear my cell phone ring due to listening to the stereo and/or wind noise from my open windows. This will never happen again now that I have the integrated phone system. In my business, 3 or 4 significant calls that I get because I could hear the phone, as opposed to missing because I just had a regular cell phone sitting in the center armrest that I couldn't hear, could easily end up covering the cost for the complete install of the phone.

If you spend any significant amount of time on the phone while you drive it is worth dropping the cash and getting the full MB integrated kit installed in your car.

·
Registered
E320 W211
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JG,

Thanks for the response. I am a bit of do-it-yourselfer that likes to understand how everything works. Having just retrofitted the W211 navigation, I feel fairly confident tackling this project. Just need to find the right parts now.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2005 E500
141 Posts
buycheap - 3/1/2005 1:58 PM

JG,

Thanks for the response. I am a bit of do-it-yourselfer that likes to understand how everything works. Having just retrofitted the W211 navigation, I feel fairly confident tackling this project. Just need to find the right parts now.

Thanks again.
Here is a link to a past thread where I posted the part #'s that my dealership provided (in early January) for the V710 phone kit for a 2005 E500:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1195937&posts=3&fid=18

The dealer said that MB frequently changes the part #'s but perhaps these numbers will at least get you on your way to finding the complete list. Also, they only gave me four part #'s and it is my understanding that there are about eight partsinvolved in the install.

If you can do this install yourself, you can probably shave $500.00 off the total "dealer-installed" price.

Good luck!

·
Registered
362 Posts
It IS possible to install either a UHI or an MHI phone kit in a car with MOST wiring.

Here is a link with phone kit info:
http://www.mbenznl.com/products/phones/

It is NOT recommended that you do the phone kit install by yourself in an MB with MOST wiring, as those cars need to get reprogrammed through Star after the installation!

greetingz,

BigSis

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,115 Posts
Details for 2005 W211 phone installation:

http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/Phone Install Bulletins/2005 E Sedan.pdf

The only "prewiring" you're going to see is the harnesses from the trunk to the front and maybe antenna cables. No boxes, no phone connector, etc. For 2006 models, not even the front/back harnesses. (USA W211 were "decontented" practically every year.)

Note that in the instructions you stop and omit the final "phone cradle," as the only ones worth getting these days are for iPhone and maybe Blackberry and you get these from the UK. For the most part, you snap a bluetooth puck into the same connector used for cradles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts