Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1977 450SL
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all, in the middle of refreshing all the seals on the intake manifold.
Been searching for several days and my chilton and CD manuals dont have the info but I need to know the torque setting and torque sequence for the manifold bolts. Been looking at the computer so long Im going crosseyed.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,209 Posts
Been searching for several days and my chilton and CD manuals dont have the info but I need to know the torque setting and torque sequence for the manifold bolts. Been looking at the computer so long Im going crosseyed.
Thanks
I never found the intake manifold torque anywhere for my 560SL. I just used standard torque for aluminum.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,338 Posts
Thanks
I once tried to find those torques. So far as I know, they are not in the shop manual or the TDM. This is what one good mechanic advised:

"There are no torque specs for the intake and there is no pattern
to tighten them by. Experience teaches us that you tighten from
the center out. Make sure your gaskets are glued in the proper
locations around the water holes. Just make 'em tight."

You could try using a torque calculator like this one:

FUTEK Bolt Torque Calculator | Bolt Torque Calculators

If we get say 10ft-lb, then next problem for me would be just how to achieve that - The cheap click type torque wrenches are apparently nowhere near accurate especially at the low end of their range.

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,900 Posts
What is your exact engine model?

So far, the closest I found was for a M119.960 (500) that top/botom halves are to be tightened to 25Nm and that the patern should be like this:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,338 Posts
What is your exact engine model?

So far, the closest I found was for a M119.960 (500) that top/botom halves are to be tightened to 25Nm and that the patern should be like this:
The torque would depend on the bolt size and thread depth. Probably same for M117, but should be checked. Torque sounds about right for M8 bolts.

·
Registered
1977 450SL
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The engine is a 117.985. I couldnt believe all the black gunk that was inside the manifold galleries. Still cleaning it out.
Thanks for all the replies. sounds like it is a tighten it till it feels good situation.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 560sl, 1966 Porsche 912, 2007 Tacoma
46 Posts
hello, I know this is an old post. I am currently taking off my intake manifold on my 87 560sl. The EGR tube is a real PIA. How did you tackle this.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,521 Posts
OT This isn't an answer. But I'm wondering if you have plug fouling trouble with your 912?
I picked an early 1966 model from the factory and sold it because I had to change plugs every 2000 miles and it always "blew" blip blip blip etc at the worst possible time.Porsche dealer was no help.I believe NGK had one that worked for the 912 but I found that out after I sold it. Apart from that it was great. My Porsche toolkit spark plug spanner is perfect on the 107 (I've had it all that time).Sorry to divert you.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 560sl, 1966 Porsche 912, 2007 Tacoma
46 Posts
Hello, my 912 has never given me a problem. I have owned it for about 10 years now. Its no doubt a lot easier to work on then the 107...hahaha. I could probably take that engine apart in one day. However the parts are crazy expensive for the 356/912. Let me know if you ever sell that tool kit. I'm also looking for an owners manual. :)

Now my 107 is another story. I finally got the intake apart on it. That damn EGR tube is a (F#*cker) I am going to need a new rubber plenum that attached from the lower manifold to the fuel distribution unit. (cracked) The manifold is filthy and in all honesty if I can save this engine I would be glad that I'm doing all this anyway since I plan to keep this car long term. Next are the heads.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,521 Posts
Hello, my 912 has never given me a problem. I have owned it for about 10 years now. Its no doubt a lot easier to work on then the 107...hahaha. I could probably take that engine apart in one day. However the parts are crazy expensive for the 356/912. Let me know if you ever sell that tool kit. I'm also looking for an owners manual. :)
Unfortunately the manual went with the car. BTW a VW motor will bolt straight onto a 356 or 912. I had a beautiful 356B in midnight navy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts