Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC(gone but not forgoten) 1988 560SL 1998 E320 4matic wagon
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the life expectancy of the seals under the intake? I was looking at the thread of the engines in Belgim and the one pic of the rear of the engine shows the seals. Im thinking the air flow comes up thru these to the heads ? Also is the snokel looking thing that connects the air horn to the lover intake rubber also? I just did the chain and guides and am fighting a rough idle wondering if any of these could be the culprit? How much of a PITA is it to get to these?

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
The first photo shows the intake plenum, and the second is a depiction of the underside of the intake manifold where it seals to the intake plenum. There are rubber seals for each of the 8 ports, which seal to the plenum.

The actual manifold seals are between the heads and the manifold; mine aren't on there, but you can see the surfaces.

To answer the PITA question, isn't everything a PITA on these engines? You'll have to remove the fuel distributor and related components, as well as the throttle linkages (take photos; it's not intuitive by any means) along with the air distribution hoses. Basically the entire top of the engine comes off, minus the heads. You need not remove the valve covers.

I suppose it depends on there you live and the climate, but all the rubber on my engine was fried from what would have been 100,000miles. There was enough sand in the engine block valley to build a sand castle..."No winters" my a**...

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC(gone but not forgoten) 1988 560SL 1998 E320 4matic wagon
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the pics explains alot. I asume that is the throttle body on the lower manifold. Is the piece that connects this to the airhorn rubber also? I also asume that there are no clamps on the rubber bits in between the manifold halfs?

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
No clamps on the little rubber seals, for the plenum. Four of the bolts that go through the intake manifold thread into the plenum, and it essentially pulls it up until it hits the cast stops on the bottom of the manifold/top of the plenum.

The throttle body is on the lower manifold, or the intake plenum as the Merc parts guys will say.

The fuel distributor boot goes over the throttle body manifold; which is situated on top of the plenum, under the intake manifold in it's own void.

If you don't want to deal with that "hose clamp" on the rubber boot from the FD which seats on the throttle body, purchase a hose clamp from a 2001 BMW M3. It will be the clamp (on the BMW) that goes around the intake boot, right near the MAF, into the air box.

It's a direct fit, and beats trying to figure out that other hose clamp. You can easily access the nut on the BMW hose clamp by situating it so the nut can be reached from the front right of the engine (looking at it); simply stick a very long 1/4" drive extension between the distributor (on the Merc now) and the intake manifold, 6mm socket, and you're good to go.

I have the part number for the BMW hose clamp at home; I can get it if you need it. It just makes everything alot easier, and makes you wonder why they didn't do that in the first place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts