Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would depart from my earlier threads which addressed certain questions and post a more meaningful title, as well as show progress to date.

This is not yet a completed project.

I still have to fit the wiring boots properly, organize and tie down the ECU harness, and re-do a couple of fittings.

I had it running for a half hour yesterday and all went well, but I did end up with a few coolant leaks at 3 fittings which are presently being addressed.

Here you go! Click on each image for a larger view.

Loren

Attachments

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,641 Posts
Ya know, you're just getting the rest of us pi$$ed off! Keep up the nice work and pics. I usually find a nicely done engine bay more interesting than the the rest of the car!

·
Registered
1973 450SL
968 Posts
i don't think i'll be able to open my hood ever again...

very nice work

and i agree with CheifRider about a nice looking engine bay

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Guy's

yes, roman, it's powder coated. I also did the Air Cleaner in Powder Coat.

RadioTek, :confused: Res. cap? blower cover? Air Cleaner? Hmmmmm? Lots of things are missing right now. I am just trying to figure out where my coolant leak is coming from. I have a hunch that it's simply the torque of the bolts for the head of the water pump. I will get it figured, and then finish her off.

After that it will be off to the shop for a final tune up. A lot of stuff has changed so things are now out a bit.

Loren

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,865 Posts
I thought I would depart from my earlier threads which addressed certain questions and post a more meaningful title, as well as show progress to date.

This is not yet a completed project.

I still have to fit the wiring boots properly, organize and tie down the ECU harness, and re-do a couple of fittings.

I had it running for a half hour yesterday and all went well, but I did end up with a few coolant leaks at 3 fittings which are presently being addressed.

Here you go! Click on each image for a larger view.

Loren
That would certainly win best engine in any car show I was at.

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would certainly win best engine in any car show I was at.
Thanks, roncallo. The only problem is that I have never seen an award for best engine, so I will just keep on doing what I am doing and enjoy it. I can hardly wait to get her on the road again. We had the best January and February in history out west here, and now that she's almost ready to go the weather is forecast for crappy for the next 2 weeks.

Loren

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
I'm not going to go anywhere near this level of detail or originality when I do mine, but I've got most of the rubber,injectors, seals, o-rings, and vacuum valves to do this job. The cost really adds up. I wasn't really willing to pay $50-$60 (W/shipping) for Eastwood's kit, but I found a reasonably-priced paint at Virginia Vettes that is "gold cad paint". I've tried it out, and it looks pretty good, but I'm not sure about its (or any paint of this type, for that matter) durability. I also got "alumina blast" for the manifold, which is supposed to duplicate raw aluminum castings. It's pretty good too, not too shiny with a touch of gray.

I suspect that what I will find in the valley after removing the intake manifold will be shocking. It's probably like the Le Brea tar pits in there.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,221 Posts
Nice job.
Even i would have trouble beating the snot out of that.

NopTop = blower cover.

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Strife2, yes the costs really do start adding up especially if you go to the degree that I did. I got a quote for cad plating ($250) and thought it would be reasonable to add about $3-400 to that to do the job for a total of $750. The joke was on me! My final job was about 4 times that, but then I did a whole bunch of things that most wouldn't do.

I gave some thought to Aluma-Blast, but decided on Powder Coating in the end. PC is more durable than paint, IMO.

I would definitely go with plating. My total cost for plating was only $125 which was perhaps a bit of a bargain. Again, plating is much more durable than paint. The only reason that I used Estwoods product on a couple of items was that they just simply can't be plated due to the electrical components inside.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,865 Posts
But then there is Samson! :surrender:

Cool and unique but not quite show quality especially with those tie wraps on the AC lines yet to be installed.

Hears a car that one best engine at a show I go to in Fleetwood PA.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
71 R107 350 SL. 03 Nissan 350Z. 07 Merc C200
637 Posts
Thanks, Guy's

yes, roman, it's powder coated. I also did the Air Cleaner in Powder Coat.

RadioTek, :confused: Res. cap? blower cover? Air Cleaner? Hmmmmm? Lots of things are missing right now. I am just trying to figure out where my coolant leak is coming from. I have a hunch that it's simply the torque of the bolts for the head of the water pump. I will get it figured, and then finish her off.

After that it will be off to the shop for a final tune up. A lot of stuff has changed so things are now out a bit.

Loren
Inspiriational Loren...Congratulations...
Did you paint the fire wall?
Is it realistic to replace I wonder... Mine is well cracked on the battery side.

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, 4wsboy

Yes, there was some re-painting done in the area of the battery due to acid corrosion of the pre-existing paint. That is the original firewall rubber cover.

I don't think you could replace the rubber unless you removed the engine, however, if you were ever in the position where the engine was removed it sure would be something to consider.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,144 Posts
Thanks, 4wsboy

Yes, there was some re-painting done in the area of the battery due to acid corrosion of the pre-existing paint. That is the original firewall rubber cover.

I don't think you could replace the rubber unless you removed the engine, however, if you were ever in the position where the engine was removed it sure would be something to consider.
I have thought about doing it. Battery side of mine had deformed and keeps coming away.

Definitely can't see doing it in one piece, but perhaps it could be done in sections by cutting the rubber into three parts?

Maybe I will just try a better glue! It gets hot back there due to exhaust manifold, so need something that will stand the temperatures.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have thought about doing it. Battery side of mine had deformed and keeps coming away.

Definitely can't see doing it in one piece, but perhaps it could be done in sections by cutting the rubber into three parts?

Maybe I will just try a better glue! It gets hot back there due to exhaust manifold, so need something that will stand the temperatures.
I only need the section behind the battery. P.O. sprayed over the cracks and it looks worse I reckon.

Any idea what the material is and /or its availability?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thanks, 4wsboy

Thanks Loren.

Too many questions for here, have you got a log of any sort re: what was cleaned, coated and / or replaced etc. ?

eg The throttle linkage?

Steve

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
Thanks Loren.

Too many questions for here, have you got a log of any sort re: what was cleaned, coated and / or replaced etc. ?

eg The throttle linkage?

Steve
Steve, one of the OZBENZ guys in Sydney had all the parts pictured below electoplated back to new condition at a place in Smithfield for $130.00

Not bad eh? I'm think of getting my bits done there now...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts