Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Wagon
162 Posts
That's for a m104.991 engine which is out of the SL320 (R129). The E320 has a m104.992.

I don't know if there are a lot of differences between the two. Power is listed as higher for the SL320 version 231PS vs 220PS. I think this is because the compression ratio is higher for the 991 vs 992. 10 vs 9.2 respectively.

I read in an issue of The Star that an owner swapped the intake manifold in his wagon for one out of an R129 for more power. I am skeptical that it would do much, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Wagon
162 Posts
Is there a hole in the intake boot for the resonator?

Personally I like the tensioner on the 992 model, it's very easy to deal with. I'm guessing if you want to switch to the newer version of the tensioner you need to swap over most of the accessories. Does the replacement engine have a different power steering pump? I know the wagon one has the SLS setup so the pump is for both rear suspension and power steering. Could be other differences as well. I wonder if the wagon's computer will be fine with the increased compression? Not something I know just a thought. It most likely doesn't care.

You can verify the engine version by the number on the block.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts