Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Rescue Wagon
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine I bought was sold as a 95 M104 but there's differences between my blown engine and what I bought.
The first is the belt tensioner is the screw type and not the spring.
The second is the intake manifold has a little box under the runners. What is that? Is this from a 96 model?
White Automotive tire Light Black Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1995 E320 Wagon
154 Posts
That's for a m104.991 engine which is out of the SL320 (R129). The E320 has a m104.992.

I don't know if there are a lot of differences between the two. Power is listed as higher for the SL320 version 231PS vs 220PS. I think this is because the compression ratio is higher for the 991 vs 992. 10 vs 9.2 respectively.

I read in an issue of The Star that an owner swapped the intake manifold in his wagon for one out of an R129 for more power. I am skeptical that it would do much, but that's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
Rescue Wagon
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to rub my eyes for a moment when I read 991 and 992. Those are Porsche 911 designations. :D
Do these blocks have numbers? Mine is pretty dirty so I haven't found it yet. I'm super curious now where this engine came from. Like I also mentioned the tensioner is different too. Other than that visually they're almost identical.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Wagon
154 Posts
Is there a hole in the intake boot for the resonator?

Personally I like the tensioner on the 992 model, it's very easy to deal with. I'm guessing if you want to switch to the newer version of the tensioner you need to swap over most of the accessories. Does the replacement engine have a different power steering pump? I know the wagon one has the SLS setup so the pump is for both rear suspension and power steering. Could be other differences as well. I wonder if the wagon's computer will be fine with the increased compression? Not something I know just a thought. It most likely doesn't care.

You can verify the engine version by the number on the block.

·
Registered
12 odyssey (90k) 1995 E320 wagon (307k) 1983 500se (172k) 1995 Cabrio (123k)
3,359 Posts
Late build 95 cars used a now standard spring loaded tensioner, replacing the screw out with rubber bushing older style. Early 95 and down used the style that started on m103 cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts