Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1981 U1300L
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help! im getting a hard time from insurance providers about my new 1300L. im avoiding the use of the "u" word,opting instead calling it a mb 1300L.
they get all twitchy when the vin # dosent have enough numbers. any suggestions?
cheers, kris

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
I had no problem getting insurance, thoug I work through an agent that I have developed a good relationship with. You will have a hard time going straight to an insurance company. I never mentioned the word 'Unimog', I told them that it is a large Mercedes pickup, and registered it with a 10,000lb GVW. So I can only legally cary about 1500lbs, but it keeps me with a standard truck insurance policy, not a commercial policy. I don't feel that I'm being sneaky or dishonest, the truth seems to be that the word Unimog scares insurance companies. The previous state, Virginia, had added the letters WDB to the beginning of the vin#, so that it would be recognized by US departments of transportation, I dont know what or if those particular letters stand for anything. Sure the mog can safely handle more, but how often will I really need to haul more than that? Almost never... Bythe way, my policy is through Progressive, and I have had no problems, or affiliations

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,407 Posts
No problem.

In their world of databases, some insurance providers need a 17 character VIN.

Simply take your chassis number and append WDB in front of it. Bam - 17 digits conforming to the "new" (post 1984) world of VIN's.

WDB435115XXXXXXXX

W = West Germany
DB = Daimler Benz
435 = U1300
115 = typical type
XXXXXXXX = SN

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,407 Posts
Another thing - if they get heartburn over the whole U1300 deal, just call it a 435.

Yeah - Mercedes-Benz 435 Pickup. Pretty much matches the model number format they use on the cars. Making it blend into the system is never a bad thing. [:D]

·
Registered
1975 Unimog 416 Danish Troop Carrier
144 Posts
I'm in NJ and had no problem insuring my 416, they only asked me what it was like. (I said a H1 or Tahoe). I had it insured before I took delivery. I insured it has just a regular cargo truck 10,000 lbs GVW (full coverage) and have just change it to a Historic Vehicle. My company is State Farm.

BTW: the cost was between my 1999 Maxima and 2000 F250

Good luck,

Brian Heuschkel
1975 416 military

1 - 7 of 7 Posts