Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been answered before,.
Looking to buy a vito in the near future (mind you after reading some of the horror stories on this forum???)
I need to buy a van with seats in the rear, one second row of seats. Exactly like the one adamuk has in his photo.
Are these classed as vans or cars/mpvs. What do I call it when I inform the insurance people? Because I understand that insurance people don't like vans being used as private cars..
Any experiences.

Thanks. Jake

·
Registered
2000 108CDI, 2007 120 CDI long, Suzuki K5 GSXR track bike, 2005 Kawasaki ZX10R
1,423 Posts
E-van £107 for the year as PLG, what more can i say

·
Registered
Vito 111CDi 2004
1,109 Posts
Try shield or adrian flux. They insure customised vans. Many van insurers will also insure your van as a 'window van' as these are also available as factory.

·
Registered
Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
2,401 Posts
they are classed exactly how the log book classes them i.e van or car
whether they have seats, windows or swimming pool.

you can get the classification altered by DVLA but its difficult and expensive.

I have Vito - with 6 seats - with side windows in sliding door
its still listed as a van BUT all alterations (extra seats, windows etc) must be notified to the insurer.

best to notify in writing, by registered post as they have less room to wriggle out of a payment if in an accident.

when asked (or stated) who did the alterations, its always best if the alterer is unknown and done sometime before you got it (unless by a big reputable company accompanied by the type approval certificates)

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks you lot

Sorry about the delay in saying thanks for your responses. Just moved house and lost my login details, so I had to reregister...

I willl be trying those insurance companies.
But there is one thing I ommited to say!
I havent been able to find a decent dualiner for the money I have, so I am going to buy a normal panel van and add the seats myself (or rather get a mechanic to fit the seats i get, which I will buy from a reputable company with a certificate - M1, N1 ?)
The log book will therefore just say panel van.

I will tell the insurance company that i have added extra seats (or just say that they were there when I bought the van). If I dont tell DVLA what are the implications?
Will I have to change taxation class blah blah blah
I wont be adding a side window just yet.Will that change things?

Basically I will be driving abroad a lot this summer. so I need the seats for the missus and baby in the front and the parents in law in the back (!)
I looked at the dutch auto trader site - most of the vitos there all seem to have side windows and rear seats - why is it such a problem here?

Or has anyone got a dark blue blue, low mileage immaculate dualiner going ridiculously cheap?

Thansks again for your help

·
Registered
Vito 111CDi 2004
1,109 Posts
Panel vans can be insured with more than 3 seats. These are still classed as 'panel vans' to the DVLA but are known in the trade as 'Window Vans'. It's not unusual to have a row of 3 seats fitted behind the front seats. Look at any AA van. Mine's that configuration before I converted it to a camper. Insurance companies are quite familiar with this configuration so just tell them the number of seats you have fitted

Cheers

Adam.

·
Registered
Vito 112 CDi year:2001
303 Posts
Basically I will be driving abroad a lot this summer. so I need the seats for the missus and baby in the front and the parents in law in the back (!)
Inlaws?? Forget the seats, best option is to go for a solid bulkhead and fit a couple of tube train style hanger straps from the roof.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for the advice...

Thanks for the advice. I considered that as well. But then I thought why waste money on hanging straps!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts