Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
03' SLK230-Sold, 05' C320
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband finally got "his dream car"...a 2000 Viper ACR. Our daily drivers - my SLK and his 2500 Silverado are insured through Mercury. Mercury's quote for the Viper was unbelievably expensive, so after doing some research I found a "specialty" exotic car insurance that was more than reasonable. He purchased the car in December of 04 and moved the Viper onto the new insurance policy in February (last month). While taking a friend for a ride, he got onto the freeway onramp and something made a popping sound under the car - he couldn't move the steering wheel and hit a road sign and tried to muscle the steering wheel to get the car onto the freeway shoulder. Looking at the car, one wouldn't think there was too much damage, although it is not drivable because the right front tire and wheel well are thrashed. My husband kept saying OMG OMG, it's totaled. I looked at him like he was crazy, it just didn't look like it was that badly damaged - couldn't have been more than, what 8k to 12k in repairs? HAHAHAHAHAHA (so not funny) My husband's dream car has been declared "a total loss" by the insurance company, over $45k to repair!! Wholly $#@*!
Anyway, my insurance question is this: now that he has an accident claim from this insurance company, is this going to effect the rates on our other insurance policy from Mercury? If anyone has any information on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
'98 SLK230, 2007 Black E63 AMG
189 Posts
First off, what caused the accident? What was the popping noise?

Second... the car was totaled just from hitting a street sign... that really sucks.

As far as the insurance issue goes, it depends on assigned fault. If the accident is deemed his fault, then I think it could impact your insurance (an accident is an accident from their standpoint).
Having your rates raised because of an accident has nothing to do with what insurance company paid how much money, it has to do with you jumping up in risk catagory. The more tickets and accidents you have on your record, the greater risk you at for having another accident, so the more your insurance company charges. The system is not totally unfair, in that if you have an accident that it not your fault (leaglly, not just in in your opinion[;)]), that usually will not count against you.

however given this is a single car accident, I think it will likely be counted as his fault (no other driver to blame).

Is he going to replace the car and try to insure it again? My best advice would be to do nothing. The one good thing here is that the car was insured with another company, so the first company would need a reason to go and update you record before they would notice this other accident. They may not do this anytime soon.

Also, if this is his only accident/ticket in the past three years, it might not cause any rate change.

Good luck
PT

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
there lots of "ifs"

Insurance company can only raise rates if he is at fault for the accident. Whey will raise the rate only if they become aware of the accident. It may be in your policy that you must let them know in a case like yours, or they can drop you when it's theirs turn to pay (unless they have to pay they'll be happily collecting your payments). After some years with one insurance company they can't raise your rates, but they can drop you instead.

BTW, Allstate sucks.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
IT all depends how the insurance company treats it. Is it an at fault accident of nor. For example if the car was parked and someone pulled a hit & run the insurance rates would not go up (a generalization).

·
Registered
'98 SLK230, 2007 Black E63 AMG
189 Posts
To further clarify, you definitly should read your policy and make sure there is not a requirement to notify them of an accident. If not, clearly you should not volunteer this information.

I recently had an accident and as a result, my insurance company re-examined my risk catagory. In doing so, they found a speeding ticket my wife got like 2 years ago. They then included that (and the accident) and raised my rates. However, they never would have known about the ticket if not for the accident (that triggered the "audit"). My point is, that they don't routinely re-examine everyone's driving record, so you might get away with them never knowning...

PT

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be honest with you, we really don't know the exact cause of the accident. We had some severe rains (for southern california anyway) and the road was a little "slick". My husband said that it looks to him like the rear axel rod might have broke (not sure about that though - I was listening to him, but not really understanding what he was saying). The insurance comp was trying to pin the accident on Dodge because there was a recall on the rear suspension something or other BUT it was only for Viper's that were raced which is not the situation with my husband. The total estimate to replace the parts with OEM parts was $45k. The wheels & tires alone were estimated at $28k. Anyway the whole situation totally sucks for my husband, he has wanted this car, this exact car for a long time. Only 39 of them were made. He's freaking out now because he thinks that somehow the other insurance comp (Mercury) is going to be informed of the accident and our rates will skyrocket. I guess we'll just have to see what happens. Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
SLK32AMG
712 Posts
itswindee - 3/30/2005 6:57 PM

To be honest with you, we really don't know the exact cause of the accident. We had some severe rains (for southern california anyway) and the road was a little "slick". My husband said that it looks to him like the rear axel rod might have broke (not sure about that though - I was listening to him, but not really understanding what he was saying). The insurance comp was trying to pin the accident on Dodge because there was a recall on the rear suspension something or other BUT it was only for Viper's that were raced which is not the situation with my husband. The total estimate to replace the parts with OEM parts was $45k. The wheels & tires alone were estimated at $28k. Anyway the whole situation totally sucks for my husband, he has wanted this car, this exact car for a long time. Only 39 of them were made. He's freaking out now because he thinks that somehow the other insurance comp (Mercury) is going to be informed of the accident and our rates will skyrocket. I guess we'll just have to see what happens. Thank you for your response.
$28K for wheels and tires. Even with the Koni/Meritor/BBS setup, that's outrageous. That shold be the price of a reworked suspension system. Can you post the breakdown of the estimate?

·
Registered
slk
187 Posts
The steering became non-responsive. He couldn't do anything to avoid the accident. It wasn't his fault the steering wheel became non-responsive. The rates shouldn't increase. If he actually drove into a stop sign, using the steering wheel, then its his fault.

·
Registered
01SLK320 totaled =(
672 Posts
It would be under comprehensive, not collision, so the at-fault wouldn't apply.

Just like when my Cobra got hit by a piece of debris on the freeway, it is a non-chargeable incident (at least through AAA insurance).

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
Find out what broke and caused the steering to not function. Steering box (rack and pinion), part of the anti-theft interlocking mechanism in the steering column (?), what broke....

Then go after who supplied the faulty parts, either to Dodge or by Dodge. Find some accident investigator to help.

Oh, yeah, if it is totaled, you might want to buy back from the insurance company and fix it yourself. Some good deals are made this way....kinda like makeing lemonade when life hands you a lemon.

Regards

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
Someone ran into my car, not my fault, and his insurance paid. However, when i looked around for new quotes at renewal time, i was told that my premium would increase because of the accident. Apparently because I had a "not at fault" accident the chances are increased that next time the accident will be my fault. How do you like that, no accidents before either. I even have a "protected bonus policy" that I pay extra for. Insurance companies are SCUM BAGS and CROOKS. they will try to screw you for anything. My company just got taken over by a large bank and insurance company. I'm quitting on principle that I don't wanna work for a bunch of thieves.

·
Registered
99 230 SLK Sport
42 Posts
Good news, I'm in Southern California and also a Mercury customer. I too had another car which hit a lose tire tread from a semi causing me to hit the center divider (BIG piece).

Mercury paid the claim, it was comp, not collision so my rates never went up since noone was at fault. They will want to see a police report stating the failure that lead to the accident.

In the end, I took my insurance settlement check and bought my SLK and have never been happier!

My two cents...keep your mouth closed and your hand writing checks quickly for your insurance premiums as they become due. Your rates are not likely to change. Should Mercury ask questions down the road, keep a copy of that police report handy. Make sure the other insurance company pays the claim under COMP, NOT COLLISION!! How they pay this claim is how it will appear on his driving record.

Also, regardless of it's intended use, if only 39 cars were made and some were under suspension recall for what you suspect might have caused your accident, consult legal council and go after Dodge for payment. An private inspector can quickly determine the exact point of failure and ultimately win your case. (Some pain & suffering compensation might also make you sleep alittle better.) [:D][:D][:D]

Jaye

·
Registered
SLK32AMG
712 Posts
BlueBenz - 3/31/2005 3:11 AM

Someone ran into my car, not my fault, and his insurance paid. However, when i looked around for new quotes at renewal time, i was told that my premium would increase because of the accident. Apparently because I had a "not at fault" accident the chances are increased that next time the accident will be my fault. How do you like that, no accidents before either. I even have a "protected bonus policy" that I pay extra for. Insurance companies are SCUM BAGS and CROOKS. they will try to screw you for anything. My company just got taken over by a large bank and insurance company. I'm quitting on principle that I don't wanna work for a bunch of thieves.
I'm not sure how it is out in England, but in most states there are strict insurance laws regarding this. It is probably a result of requiring all drivers to have insurance. I know in California that if you are not at fault, the insurance company can not raise your rates. Some states unfortunately have "no-fault" insurance where both pay no matter what. I think that just rewards the bad drivers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Max, I have a question for you.....if he buys back the car from the insurance company, will it have a clear title or will it now be considered a salvaged title car? Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for your reply Jaye. One problem though, there wasn't a police report taken....the police were never called. Only 2 phone calls made after the accident one to me and the other was to AAA to get the car towed home.....[:(]

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
I'll fulley restore your viper for free. If your interested im me.

--brian

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
It somehow depends on the legalities of the state in question....also in how the insurance claim was settled. And lastly, was the title surrendered to the insurance co. and then had to be reassigned to the new owner (even if it is you again) thru the dmv. If the title doesn't go thru the dmv process and remains attached to you, how they gonna know it was ever even scratched. There are a whole lot of ways to beat carfax also.

Regards

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MAX BLAKELY - 4/6/2005 4:59 AM

It somehow depends on the legalities of the state in question....also in how the insurance claim was settled. And lastly, was the title surrendered to the insurance co. and then had to be reassigned to the new owner (even if it is you again) thru the dmv. If the title doesn't go thru the dmv process and remains attached to you, how they gonna know it was ever even scratched.

The DMV is aware of the accident because the insurance company sent a SR-1 form to fill out. Looks like my husband is totally screwed.....urghhhh.

Everyone - thanks for your help and responses.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We haven't received the breakdown from the claim's adjuster. The estimate was sent directly to the insurance company, although the adjuster called us and gave my husband the number he came up....replace hood, passenger side door panel, front windshield, rear bumper and wheels. Who says American parts are cheaper??? LOL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts