Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1982 MERCEDES 280SE AUSTRALIAN DELIVERED RHD
78 Posts
"Reliable people"~??? That's such a rare trait today, and virtually impossible to find. The world has changed so dramatically that most of the tradespeople and service providers today are simply unskilled, unable, unreliable, without knowledge, and just looking for an easy mark. The last of the people I knew on whom I could depend on without question retired in the mid '90's. It saddens me greatly that it is so. I am no longer young. I am not rich. I don't envy nor am I jealous of anyone. I am an honest, God fearing man living by the "golden rule" and refuse to conform to today's distorted values.
Yes it's hard to find reliable people anytime I think, that's why I clung to them in business, & why we received so much business by word-of-mouth we didn't have to advertise. They are still around, you just have to look harder for them.

·
Registered
Too many to list
9,801 Posts
With over 45 cars I’ve used Grundy , Grundy mvp (aig private client ) and Hagerty, as I have Multiple Llc’s with different cars and need different policies.

Grundy mvp is the best . This is different from regular Grundy collector car insurance . It is written by aig private client . I believe it has a 5 car minimum . It puts both daily drivers and collector cars on one policy . No mileage or locked garage requirements

·
Registered
SL63 Iridium Silver Metallic
706 Posts
Over the years I've had a number of my collector/classic cars insured by Grundy. I filled out their application and sent them a check to cover my 35 year old 1986 420SEL. They denied me coverage based on three factors:
1) I failed to list additional drivers. I'm a widower and live alone. So who else is going to drive my car~??
2)
The stated value I claimed was too high. For value I requested only $12,000 for a car with just under 40K miles~!
3) They don't consider my car to be a "classic".
Check Hagerty. Especially if you have a newer daily driver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Over the years I've had a number of my collector/classic cars insured by Grundy. I filled out their application and sent them a check to cover my 35 year old 1986 420SEL. They denied me coverage based on three factors:
1) I failed to list additional drivers. I'm a widower and live alone. So who else is going to drive my car~??
2)
The stated value I claimed was too high. For value I requested only $12,000 for a car with just under 40K miles~!
3) They don't consider my car to be a "classic".
Contact Hagerty. Extremely easy to deal with. Basically all they ask for is the serial # and a photo. Very affordable also.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
574 Posts
My understanding is that Hagerty and Grundy do not work for "daily drivers" (I drive about 12,000 miles a year). Is that correct?

·
Registered
2006 CLK 500 cabriolet
8 Posts
Correct, we have our daily vehicles insured by others and the toys by hagarty. If I add or delete it is simply a phone call no pics or anything just a statement of value that I choose

·
Registered
Too many to list
9,801 Posts
My understanding is that Hagerty and Grundy do not work for "daily drivers" (I drive about 12,000 miles a year). Is that correct?
That used to be correct before Grundy started their mvp program which insures ALL cars . It’s a completely separate insurance product designed to cover all cars , trailers etc . and is the best of the three options (Grundy collector car , hagerty collector car , Grundy mvp )

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,193 Posts
Along with others contributing here, I have Hagerty Agreed Value on my 91 Euro SEC. Initially, I set the agreed figure to what I paid for the car.... in 2017.
Roughly 38,600 miles upon delivery. $20K~ish or so when all the dust had settled. We go forward, a bunch $$ additional at this point.

In 2017, AMG Aero1wheels, the Tri-Ys, factory NO-Cat exhaust was fitted, subsequently a REMUS 126 rear section was added.

In 2018 H&R springs, Bilstein B8 Sport Shocks & the Dkubus 19mm rear bar were installed.

These mods have inflamed my 'Inner Hoodlum' here... Totally!

IMG_2903.jpg IMG_4736.jpg

Where might I now re-value with Hagerty?

My stock '87 560SEC Federal version is on regular insurance, though driven not at all really.

Cheers,

MBL

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
574 Posts
Tusabes, thanks will check out Grundy mvp.

·
Registered
Too many to list
9,801 Posts
I believe you have to have a minimum of five vehicles covered under mvp, it can include trailers RVs etc

·
Registered
78 Posts
Along with others contributing here, I have Hagerty Agreed Value on my 91 Euro SEC. Initially, I set the agreed figure to what I paid for the car.... in 2017.
Roughly 38,600 miles upon delivery. $20K~ish or so when all the dust had settled. We go forward, a bunch $$ additional at this point.

In 2017, AMG Aero1wheels, the Tri-Ys, factory NO-Cat exhaust was fitted, subsequently a REMUS 126 rear section was added.

In 2018 H&R springs, Bilstein B8 Sport Shocks & the Dkubus 19mm rear bar were installed.

These mods have inflamed my 'Inner Hoodlum' here... Totally!

View attachment 2670688 View attachment 2670689

Where might I now re-value with Hagerty?

My stock '87 560SEC Federal version is on regular insurance, though driven not at all really.

Cheers,

MBL
You need to have a look at the policy wording & the insurers rules about modifications, extras and accessories.

Most if not all insurers want them notified and specified on the policy; as a safety issue to ensure you get paid, it's a no-brainer.

The onus is on the policyholder to inform the insurer. In my youth my policies had pages and pages of modifications and accessories. Once the rule is complied with & all noted on thepolicy, the insurer can't argue they didn't know about the extras....

An accredited appraiser or valuer who will produce a written report for attachment to the policy is a start, you could approach your insurer and ask for some recommendations as to whom they accept.

Market appraisals, dealers and the like aren't accepted, it must accurately reflect the cost to put it back into the condition it was in before the loss, and also describe the present vehicle condition, such as low mileage, mechanical and external condition, well-maintained throughout etc.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
574 Posts
I believe you have to have a minimum of five vehicles covered under mvp, it can include trailers RVs etc
Grundy MVP asks for three cars. I should have kept my old Hyundai. Guess I will stick with USAA.

·
Premium Member
1986 Mercedes 420SEL
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Grundy MVP asks for three cars. I should have kept my old Hyundai. Guess I will stick with USAA.
After jerking me off, Grundy has still not sent my check back~! Since I was running out of time I went with Hartford which cost me an extra $300 annually. I now have no annual mileage or driving restrictions, do not have to send them pictures, and I don't have to keep the car in a garage.

·
Premium Member
1986 Mercedes 420SEL
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
After jerking me off, Grundy has still not sent my check back~! Since I was running out of time I went with Hartford which cost me an extra $300 annually. I now have no annual mileage or driving restrictions, do not have to send them pictures, and I don't have to keep the car in a garage.
We are always "happy" with our new insurance company. Usually it's a function of the premium. When we become "unhappy" is when we need to submit a claim. That's when they show their true colors. Allstate show me that way back with an auto claim. I"m a slow learner so in more recent years I submitted a homeowners claim for hurricane damage. The second time required engagement of legal help to get halfway satisfied. "True colors"~!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
We are always "happy" with our new insurance company. Usually it's a function of the premium. When we become "unhappy" is when we need to submit a claim. That's when they show their true colors. Allstate show me that way back with an auto claim. I"m a slow learner so in more recent years I submitted a homeowners claim for hurricane damage. The second time required engagement of legal help to get halfway satisfied. "True colors"~!!
People have been saying that to me for 35 years "I've had no problem with XYZ" like I'm an idiot who couldn't possibly know what I'm talking about. My first question is "Have you ever had a claim" & they nearly all answer "No". Funnily enough I would often get a call from them later on complaining their insurer won't pay a claim & would I help ? Brokers know which insurers pay their claims, which ones argue the value, authorise second hand or non-genuine parts, force short-cuts on repairs, low repair rates & don't pay out for months. When you find a good insurer who doesn't do any of this & pays their claims promptly, fairly and without complaint/argument, you've found a good insurer.

·
Premium Member
1985 300D, 1991 560SEL
103 Posts
Usaa is not what it used to be. They've been horrible to me in a few claims recently. If it weren't for the fact that they've erroneously classified two instances as "at fault" collisions I'd have dropped them in July with glee. As it is, I'm in a battle with them to change the record of those two instances so I can go elsewhere.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts