Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 300sl24v
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
Can someone plse tell me how to get behind the instrument cluster as my backlight bulb has blown.
Thanks Pete[:)]

·
Registered
500SL 1999
1 Posts
Instrument Cluster Removal

Pete,
I have the same question. If you find out please let me know. I will do the same. Thanks, Alan

·
Registered
SL60
46 Posts
there is a special tool that is required to remove the instrument cluster properly. It c...

there is a special tool that is required to remove the instrument cluster properly. It cost about $20-$30. You can get it at the dealer or at a local auto shop store.

·
Registered
92 300E
78 Posts
What is the tool called, or is it a generic "pry something from the dashboard" class of to...

What is the tool called, or is it a generic "pry something from the dashboard" class of tool?

I've got some dirt behind the bezel on mine that drives me nuts and would be worth the money to get rid of. Anyone have the tool or know what it's called?

·
Registered
SL60
46 Posts
it's called the instrument pull hook, when I bought an aftermarket instrument cluster li...

it's called the instrument pull hook, when I bought an aftermarket instrument cluster like those of the silver arrow edition. The kit came with the two tools to remove the cluster, one for the pointers and the other for removing the whole unit from the dash board. check the pic below.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 300E
78 Posts
You're awesome, Quicksilver827!! Thanks for the info. Any tips on how to use? Just fit ...

You're awesome, Quicksilver827!! Thanks for the info. Any tips on how to use? Just fit it behind to bezel somewhere and pull? Any words of your experience with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

·
Registered
SL60
46 Posts
I did this a couple of months ago and I vaguely remember, the new instrument cluster came ...

I did this a couple of months ago and I vaguely remember, the new instrument cluster came with installation instructions, but now I can't find it. It took me about two hours to finish the job. I could be done faster but I'm one of those perfectionist type of guy that won't stop until is look nice and perfect.
I did some research and found this link that shows how to remove panel check it out. Just click on the hyperlink.
http://business.baylor.edu/Richard_Easley//autofaqs/clock.htm

·
Registered
SL 500
9 Posts
Pulling the instrument panel

Be very careful pulling the instrument panel. It is easy to do, but some models require that you disconnect the speedometer cable. Some don't. I am not sure about the SL yet. My 300E requires disconnecting it in order to get the instrument panel out enough to get behind it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts