Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for an expert. I picked up a 2000 AMG ML55 instrument cluster. It goes up to 160 mph. I have a 1999 ML 430. I think my cluster goes to 120mpg. Assuming I have a professional install the AMG one and reset to the correct mileage to my ML, will the speed reading be off due to the differences in max speed? (yes, I know it’s a completely stupid project but I’m running out of things to do in my W163).

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Quick question for an expert. I picked up a 2000 AMG ML55 instrument cluster. It goes up to 160 mph. I have a 1999 ML 430. I think my cluster goes to 120mpg. Assuming I have a professional install the AMG one and reset to the correct mileage to my ML, will the speed reading be off due to the differences in max speed? (yes, I know it’s a completely stupid project but I’m running out of things to do in my W163).
It's a DIY job for a cluster swap (or face gauge swap). 2 cable harnesses on the backside to disconnect.

As for the visual difference on the cluster speedo, there was a recent post by one of the vet members (dont recall who) that stated the speed needle readings will adjust accordingly (Just paraphrasing on this). I was not aware of that before.
Also, your new speedo will show the new mileage reading, not your original mileage reading.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Very cool -- I'm following this thread, because I have an ML55 AMG cluster that I wanted to install on my father's '05 ML500, but I didn't install because I didn't know if it would mess something up. Please post back with all the information if you install it!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Very cool -- I'm following this thread, because I have an ML55 AMG cluster that I wanted to install on my father's '05 ML500, but I didn't install because I didn't know if it would mess something up. Please post back with all the information if you install it!
Are you looking for the 'white face' gauges (and chrome plastic ring) OR is it just the "160mph speedo display you are looking for ?

edit
gauges or on amazon

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are you looking for the 'white face' gauges (and chrome plastic ring) OR is it just the "160mph speedo display you are looking for ?
khomer, I have this cluster sitting in my parts cabinet, and I would like to use that, just because I already have it! I love what you did with the white dials, and I might end up doing that for Pops (he has the rings already because its a "Special Edition"). Thank you for the link -- that's a reasonable price. I could probably sell the AMG cluster and buy those instead.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, I was just re-reading that myself when I saw this thread pop up. I didn't get a definitive answer from MB, just that "it won't work". But that seems to conflict with some of the other stories I've read on the forum. I'll probably end up just selling the AMG and buying the white dials. But I'm still very curious about the details of this swap!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
khomer, I have this cluster sitting in my parts cabinet, and I would like to use that, just because I already have it! I love what you did with the white dials, and I might end up doing that for Pops (he has the rings already because its a "Special Edition"). Thank you for the link -- that's a reasonable price. I could probably sell the AMG cluster and buy those instead.
If you dont have the need to sell the parts, I'd hold onto them. You never know, if you find yourself a smokin deal on an ML55 W163 that shows up in front of your eyes. :)

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
When I swapped the cluster in my 430 to the 55 cluster it was a straight swap over. The only thing that didn’t work with the new 55 cluster was the centre console lights for whatever reason. Make sure if you just swap the card over the speed is segmented the same on both cards. A 55 card on your 500 cluster won’t read the same speed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you dont have the need to sell the parts, I'd hold onto them. You never know, if you find yourself a smokin deal on an ML55 W163 that shows up in front of your eyes. :)
Haha, that would be very cool! My local indie MB mechanic has two, both are gems, I see them driving around town or at his business. He's a master MB mechanic, and his favorite MB is the W163, and the ML55 in particular. And I think two of his grown kids have W163's, and his son is an MB mechanic and has a W163. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I swapped the cluster in my 430 to the 55 cluster it was a straight swap over. The only thing that didn’t work with the new 55 cluster was the centre console lights for whatever reason. Make sure if you just swap the card over the speed is segmented the same on both cards. A 55 card on your 500 cluster won’t read the same speed.
Thanks for the reply -- What do you mean "card"? Is there a circuit board to swap as well?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts