Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes ML430
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '99 ML430 that has recently started having issues at the instrument cluster. For about 6 months or so, the fuel gauge has been malfunctioning. Everytime you fill the tank to full, the gauge will drop to empty and the light will come on. It will stay this way until you stop the car and restart (usually at least 50 miles or so). The trip odometer still works, but always shows inaccurate distances (sometimes says near 500 miles).

Another issue is every now and then, all of the service lights will come on, the warning beep will sound, and all the needles will go down to 0. This does not happen often, but when it does, I'm usually driving around 65-75mph. It happened again yesterday to my wife and she said she thought the ML was losing power.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to reset the instrument cluster to see if this problem corrects itself, or if there is a way to test it and see if it is going dead? It seems that these issues are central to the cluster and I figure it must be going dead. I have not tried the fuel gauge fuse reset yet, but I will if anyone else has had success with that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
23,299 Posts
There is no reset. The connector to the harness for the cluster may be loose.

The fuel gauge may not be related at all. It is more likely the sender on the pump inside
the fuel tank.

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes ML430
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a way to check the connector to the harness without having to remove it?

Also if the fuel sender was bad, would that cause a loss in mpg? I feel like I've been getting about 50-70 miles less per tank recently.

·
Registered
03 ML350
366 Posts
.... Everytime you fill the tank to full, the gauge will drop to empty and the light will come on....
as noodles said: fuel gauge issue may not be related to the inst.cluster.

that's exactly what happened to me every time i overfilled the tank.
after burning few liters of gas the gauge shows normal values.

when i fill it to the point when the pump stops by itself everything is ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.