Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed a couple burned out bulbs in the cluster over the weekend. Thanks go to Brett San Diego and Benzdoc for their postings on how to do this. I combined their methods. Anyone going to attempt this should read my webpage. I want everyone to avoid cracking their cluster frame as I did*&^%$#@!

http://www.v12uberalles.com/instrument_cluster_removal.htm

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
The most important tip to remember when pulling with the

hooks is to splay the hook handle outward at the same time you pull toward you. Bending the handle outward levers the hook part of the tool into the teeth on the cluster. You've got to do this to prevent the hook end from slipping off and possibly breaking the clear plastic window.

Also, very important. Pull only one side at a time if you're using the pull hooks only method to remove the cluster. It's easier, and you can concentrate on bending the hook outward while pulling when working only one hook at a time.

Another nice tip that Benzdoc mentioned. Put a little white grease (or any other mild lubricant) on the rubber spring seats on the cluster. Removal next time will be much easier.

Great effort on the web site.

Brett

·
Registered
1995 MB s320
235 Posts
if i broke the plastic window already, can i fix it somehow????....i bouhgt the wodd grain one and i broke the plastic on it... can i take the plastic out of my original one and put it in the new one so i dont pay for a brand new wood one...????

Laz

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had to take care of some bulbs in my cluster last night. Read a few posts on the site and then went at it. 12 minutes later the cluster was back in the car. Pulled off the pillar cover, used a small flat screw driver to pry up the speaker cover, used the same one to take out the two screws, took out the vent, took out the vent duct, got my fingers in there and pushed out one side of the cluster, pulled a little from the front and it was out. Did my thing, slid it back in and buttoned everything up. Don't be afraid. It's all very easy to do :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing the process. When I have to work on my car, I will try to do the same for everyone. This is how to beat the high costs of repair on our cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts