Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
'00 E430 Sport -
12 Posts
Damn I need to do this but am a Total novice when it comes to tinkering and soldering, never even used a soldering iron before, this seems to be too difficult for me to do without ruining anything =[

·
Registered
2002 CLK55 Cab, G37 Vert, G37xS sedan
53 Posts
Took my cluster apart about 4 times after finally giving up. Paying $350 to let someone else fix it. Already saved myself thousands by being a DIY'er...can't win them all :D

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
304 Posts
Damn I need to do this but am a Total novice when it comes to tinkering and soldering, never even used a soldering iron before, this seems to be too difficult for me to do without ruining anything =[
There's a non-solder option I used, it's earlier in this thread somewhere. Worked great.

·
Registered
clk 230k
63 Posts
my pixels werent too bad to begin with but came on like new all by themselves for about 2 weeks then went back to a little messed up again. its got to be a loose connection. will try the fix when the weather improves in london

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just toasted my instrument cluster trying to "fix" the pixels. : ( If I buy a used instrument cluster, does the dealer have to syncronise it with my car, or can I just install the used one and be good to go?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes-Benz CLK430
18 Posts
Unless you are a pro, I really do NOT recommend using a soldering iron on the ribbon contacts. If your iron is running too hot, it will melt the ribbon with just a touch. This just makes matters worse.

I do recommend the process of drilling the holes and using screws to tighten the connections.

·
Registered
Mercedes clk 430 V8
17 Posts
Interesting topic, I'm sure there is a lot of guys will be to scared to try this, got a lot of things to fix on my clk it becoming more of a project car, and this is on the list I will be trying to fix this problem myself. Good luck guys

·
Registered
ML 350 (W166) / CLK 320 Avantgarde (W208)
29 Posts
This was fixed on my old W208 CLK when the original 11-year old battery was replaced with a new one.

·
Registered
E55 AMG V8 Kompressor W211
283 Posts
video of needel gauge face removal

If I was you I would try what cristela did

Pop the Speedo needle off and on and readjust...
If unclear of the describtion made by Dantus
"just adding very nice writeup Dantus nice job"

But here this video will clear it up is a bit bad quality but shows very well what Dantus describes.
http://www.white-face-gauges.com/Video_Tachoscheiben_Tacho_ab_Null_kmh.wmv

OBS video is in german language, but look the video no audio needed is straigth forward

·
Registered
E55 AMG V8 Kompressor W211
283 Posts
Digital display middle + right fading out

Huge thanks to creator of this awesome job all..

I got a quistion I hope can be answered before I rip out my dash again doing it all over again but go to ask first and hope some friendly souls see it and perhabs knows why and what..

I recently changed my dashboard gauge faces and all was working just fine, but I remember when tearing of the old faces the speedometer kind of popped out a little I just pushed it back in and my old standard bulbs well some was blown so had no choice other than to put back the old blue leds and these have been working just fine before
the digital displays was so bright and sharp

but since I changed to this:

Yep went from Kmh to Miles got both tough ;-)
But now the dials/gauge are so nice 100% better than the picture can show, the needles glow almost neonish very nice but the digital display middle and right kind of fade out while the left display THE TEMP shines nice and sharp??

I dunno why but could it be related to the Speedomoter popped a bit out? I am worried if some wires perhabs could been damaged?
got to add to that I did have 1 incident where the digital displays went all out suddenly had happent 1 time only swicth of the ignition on again and all back to normal kind of hehe..
So worried it has been working nice all a long never had these issue you guys have been facing so I hope some advices before I take it all out again...

Last but not least little tip, buy a can of compressed air is good to have around before assemble spray and make sure all dust is gone..
In advance and thanks to all who contributed to this nice splented thread.
N.B Sry my English not the fines of them hehe

·
Registered
2012 W212 E550 Sedan - all stock
26 Posts
just fixed my pixels

I used the non-boned ribbons from ak speedo. They have a very useful video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoAMLCBmKXY

A few tips from my experience:

1) Replace all the bulbs in the instrument cluster while you have it out as a few bulbs blew on me that I am sure were original from the factory from 2001 on the reinstall.

2) I used Q-tips and 91% Isopropyl Alcohol on the contacts on the board. About 10 Q-tips and light elbow grease and the contacts were all gold and shiny like new. Do not use any liquids on the lcd's. Like the video said, an old credit card or other plastic card worked just fine and you will still be able to see the imprints of the old ribbon on the LCD once clean so you can easily line up the new ribbon.

3) When you are all but finished and ready to put the big plastic front cover back on, instead of setting the back cover with the cluster attached on a flat surface, needles on top and putting the front cover on from the top, it is almost impossible to get the flimsy plastic lens pieces on each side that are somewhat triangular have the words like check engine, Brake, etc, on them not to fall or slide off their perches. So it was much more easy to put the front cover face-down onto a towel or padded surface. Since it isn't flat, hold front cover from underneath so where it connects and snaps to the cluster/back cover is level. Put those flimsy "check engine" somewhat triangular lenses onto their perches in the front cover. Then lower the back cover/cluster onto the front cover from above. e.g. Needles on bottom or said a different way, needles facing down

4) Definitely slip in old credit cards or similar plastic cards where yo uare going to slip your hook in to not chew up your dash. I also put a towel onto the steering column to try and avoid scratching the stering wheel, column and cruise handle, etc. when pulling the cluster out.

Pixels look new.

Total bill was under $60 for ribbons, bulbs, alcohol, q-tips, hook tool part # 140- 589-03-22-00 (note it is sold as a pair although noted as "tool" singular, you don't need to buy 2) or make your own from a wire hangar but watch out for it being too sharp to cut up your dash. The tool is smooth.

Also, even though the tool is smooth and you may have used the plastic cards so the tool/hangar doesn't leave any marks, many times while pulling it out, the cluster itself might put dings/pocks/dimples/creases in the dash on its way out from the back, like the wire harnesses, etc. If this happens, don't panic as long as not ripped. I had a dozen 1/4" dimples in the dash where the harness ticked it when shimmying the cluster out. After re-install, use a heat-gun or hair dryer. I was truly amazed as they all came out flat in about 15 mins. If using a hair dryer, you may wish to cover the back of it where the air is drawn in to the hairdryer to make the air flowing out hotter. That extra heat from covering up the back definitely sped up the process although you could burn out your hair dryer, but hey the dash looks great like nothing worse for wear.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2002 E270 CDI (Man)
9 Posts
This is the first reply i make on this forum. I own a 2002 e270cdi whit manual gearbox (!) and I´m about to do the repair work on the cluster.
My question is... what hapends if you replace the blue background whith for exampel red.... Will it be red backgroundlight?

·
Registered
2003 CLK320 Cabriolet
142 Posts
This is boom! The best post (and there have been many) regarding self-repair for the pixel problem so many of us have.

I even feel I could fix it myself now instead of sending it off to some Ebay guy.

Many Thanks!!! Will keep the forum posted on how my efforts turn out.

101 - 120 of 133 Posts