Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 sl 500
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all this is my 1st post as I have returned to the r129 ownership after being out for a while. I got a great deal on a 95 sl500 and it runs well but has a few things that will need sorting out. The most troublesome I believe is the odometer and temp readout is barley visible in the day and is absent at night. The rest of the cluster works fine with no issues. The car is stock and have no modifications. It seems that the dimmer is unrelated to these LED's. I believe my car was one of the first ones to go from the mechanical counter to the electronic one. What am I looking at here to fix this. I am very good working with the electrics for cars but would like some insight before tearing into the cluster. Thanks

·
Registered
SL-LESS (for now) and 2002 Jaguar XJ8 Executive
270 Posts
Welcome and congratulations with your SL.:thumbsup:

One of the easiest jobs on the R129.
Remove the cluster (well described on the forum) and remove the 2 bulb sockets at the back.
Replace the 2 bulbs, that’s it!
These are no LED’s.

Kind regards, Hans.

·
Registered
1995 sl 500
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hans
Thanks for the reply. So what your saying is the LCD readout for the odometer,temp,and trip meter is lit by 2 bulbs? What is the rest of the cluster lit by? I should probably change those while I am at it right? Thanks again
Jesse

·
Registered
SL-LESS (for now) and 2002 Jaguar XJ8 Executive
270 Posts
That is exactly what i am saying.
See the picture. The red marked lines are the bulbs for the digital readout and the green ones are for the analogue dials.
You will need 2 x T5 1,2 Watt bulbs & 4 T10 5 Watt bulbs.
Don't know how these bulbs are called outside Europe, you will have to look it up. Because i don't know where you are coming from.

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 sl 500
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hans
This is great thanks for the picture. It is amazing what a photo can explain. I bought a tool kit so i can do the repair. I will go to dealer for the bulbs.
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts