Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Registered
2016 GL450 and 2002 ML320
Discussion Starter #1
My instrument cluster is not lighting up at night when my headlights are on, which is frustrating and also dangerous. I've checked the fuse and the relay for the instrument panel and they are both fine. I also removed the cluster and replaced all of the bulbs and it's still not lighting up. So, there is something else going on to prevent the cluster from lighting up.

My wife hit a deer months ago and did damage to the bumper and radiator. Someone removed the set of wires and plugs that are pictured below. I can't find a matching part with the number listed- A163 540 58 09. Does anyone know what these connect to? Since replacing the radiator the ML320 runs great, but the heater keeps going from hot to cold air and the cluster isn't lighting up. Could these issues be related?

I appreciate any help on this one! Thank you

Attachments

Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold馃槩 2013 ML500,馃榿 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
Looking at that extra picture, the last one I would say it鈥檚 of your replacement bumper and it went to the bottom fog lights. Does the replacement bumper have or had fog lights.
It could be the light switch causing the problem with the cluster lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the new bumper has fog lights and they are working. What light switch would be causing the cluster lighting issue?

Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold馃槩 2013 ML500,馃榿 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
Yes, the new bumper has fog lights and they are working. What light switch would be causing the cluster lighting issue?
Did your old bumper have fog lights, if so it could be off one of them.
On the steering column

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
If you look over the diagram your issue could be in the AAM. when lights are switched on did you check for power at the fuse or relay to b sure the fuse box did not receive damage? fuse
9 relay 58

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Matt, yes my old bumper had fog lights. The fog light switch isn鈥檛 on the steering column though it鈥檚 near the stereo below the low gear switch. So, the new bumper鈥檚 fog lights work just fine and if the bundle of chords and plugs was from the old bumper for the old fog lights then that likely isn鈥檛 the issue with my instrument lights. Right?

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Wally, thanks for the diagram I will look it over. The fuse and relay for the instrument cluster lighting is the same for the rear license plate lights and the rear license plate lights work just fine.

Registered
Dallas, Texas
Wally, thanks for the diagram I will look it over. The fuse and relay for the instrument cluster lighting is the same for the rear license plate lights and the rear license plate lights work just fine.
Are all other illuminated things like ACC panel, lower control panel with window switches working? Brightness control not turned all the way down?

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Witek, everything else is working and illuminated. You all might laugh at me but where on Earth is the dashboard brightness control located, if any? Lol. I've owned 3 of these ML320s and never knew there was a brightness control. I've looked everywhere but don't see it at all.

Registered
Dallas, Texas
Witek, everything else is working and illuminated. You all might laugh at me but where on Earth is the dashboard brightness control located, if any? Lol. I've owned 3 of these ML320s and never knew there was a brightness control. I've looked everywhere but don't see it at all.
Page 86 of Owners Manual.

Attachments

Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
Same knob for resetting trip mileage left on cluster turn it to increase>

Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
It's daytime here, but yeah... the knob on the left needed to be cranked up. I definitely feel like a huge retard! Thanks ya'll
Been there more than I can count on my fingers. Welcome to the HRC. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
I replaced every 12V - 1.5W bulb in the instrument cluster, but the center of the cluster around the speedometer is still dark. I noticed there were 2 larger bulbs that were bigger than 1.5W with a yellow back on them and they were in the middle of the cluster (likely the ones that illuminate the speedometer area). Does anyone know what kind of bulbs those are? I can't find any other cluster bulbs online besides the 1.5W smaller ones.

Attachments

Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
I can look later I just pulled some from an cluster at a pick and pull they don't charge for blubs and the cluster was just sitting there.

But those are what you need the small ones are just for the warning lights the two big one are for illumination.

Registered
Dallas, Texas
I replaced every 12V - 1.5W bulb in the instrument cluster, but the center of the cluster around the speedometer is still dark. I noticed there were 2 larger bulbs that were bigger than 1.5W with a yellow back on them and they were in the middle of the cluster (likely the ones that illuminate the speedometer area). Does anyone know what kind of bulbs those are? I can't find any other cluster bulbs online besides the 1.5W smaller ones.
It is 2W bulb MB part number 001 544 55 94 or Jahn 27225.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts