Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190e 2.3 16v
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I would like to remove the instrument cluster of my 190e 2.3 16v because I want to change the light bulbs that illuminate the instrument cluster. Can somebody please tell me what I have to do.

Thank you very much

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,805 Posts
Are the lights dim due to age or has the dimmer switch been turned down? The dimmer switch is built into the odometer reset button and it's amazing how many Mercedes owners, W124 included, didn't know it was there.

There are two wedge bulbs that provide the light for the instrument cluster, but they are mounted it the back of the cluster, so replacing them requires that the cluster be removed. Obviously, it would be an opportune time to replace the dash warning bulbs too. I think if you search the forum you'll find the instructions to pull the cluster, otherwise we can talk you thru it.

·
Registered
190e 2.3 16v
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply
There is nothing wrong with the dimmer switch. I will search the forum for instruction on how to remove the instrument cluster. If I can't find it then I will ask for help

Thanks again

·
Registered
190e 2.3 16v
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi everyone

I managed to pull the instrument cluster out but I am not sure about the air duct because I am scared once I get it out, it will be very hard to put it back in. Is the speedo cable plug in or screwed into the back of the cluster? Its frustrating when I managed to pull the cluster out but I cant remove it.

Help me please

·
Registered
1985 190E 2.3 (Sold)
210 Posts
cosworth2.3owner - 3/12/2005 9:22 PM

Hi everyone

I managed to pull the instrument cluster out but I am not sure about the air duct because I am scared once I get it out, it will be very hard to put it back in. Is the speedo cable plug in or screwed into the back of the cluster? Its frustrating when I managed to pull the cluster out but I cant remove it.

Help me please
The speedo cable is screwed in. Unscrew it counterclock wise. Just make sure you dont pull it and stretch it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts