Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
02 S500
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been noticing this for a while now , so i thought i post this up. im sure some of you havent noticed this but i have . my uncles 2000 s class cluster has solid lines along the speedometer numbers and iv noticed 01 and up with newer style clusters. my 02 s500 as well has broken lines along the speedometer numbers. so im curious were early 2000 clusters a bad design? , because iv seen those go bad and the newer ones fail as well, my 02 had replacement already . so its not a big deal but basicly looking for an explanation as to why only 2000's had the solid lines. thanks guys .

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 S550 Bi-Turbo 4Matic
303 Posts
Maybe it has to do with a bad design, that's why the 10 year replacement guarantee now, and also cruise control maybe?

In the newer ones you can set your cruise control at 45MPH and it will light up at exactly that, but in the older models you can either do 40MPH or 50MPH.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
02 S500
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mugur good point , completely spaced and didnt think about cruise, my cars already had a cluster put in from previous owner becuase of flickering, my current cluster flickers sometimes too. im curious if MBenz is actually putting new transistors in the circuit board and fixing them properly. if it goes i still fall under the recall so thats a plus.

·
Registered
2012 S550 Bi-Turbo 4Matic
303 Posts
a5benzo, if the new cluster still flickers i would get it back to the dealer and ask for another replacement.
You have one year to do it for free, after that will be a few hundreds.

·
Registered
02 S500
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
owner before me got the cluster replaced. iv had the car almost a year now. but my friend is a service advisor at mercedes of sac so im going to ask him if he could take a look at it and replace.

·
Registered
171 Posts
00-01 backlight always went out, 02 seems to have the problem fixed and maybe thats why there was a recall on the earlier model. Then again the 00 (atleast the one I had) was a POS.

·
Registered
171 Posts
what went wrong with your 2000? iv seen some with some high miles.
Everything that could ever go wrong went wrong from airmatic 4 times to cluster, from radio to electrical problems, from ball joints to engine mounts, from wiper motor to AC system replacement, oh yah almost forgot about that little plug that flooded my car. I can keep going you know. My 00 had a production date of sept 99 so it was really a 99. I was very hesitant to buy another S500 but my 04 now with 82K miles is still going strong.

·
Registered
02 S500
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
popo you had a really early production date. im glad your 04 is good. my 02 is doing good , just preventative maintenance and im replacing airmatic shock up front, fixing the leaky transmission connector and etc... my cousin has 01 s500 with 170k , it runs great. ill try to post an airmatic diy when i do my front stut , sometime this week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts