Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instructions for installing radio in '99 SLK-230 (Manual). Wiring color codes provided!

OMG, OMG, OMG! WOW! Thats the first thing I must say. This thing ROCKS! I installed a Pioneer Premier DEH-P940MP cd/mp3 player (same as the Pioneer DEH-P9400MP) in the dash, but kept the stock amplifier and speakers. It sounds so much better! Louder without distortion. More low end. The stock Bose amp does a pretty good job. I used the front speaker wires from the radio, NOT the line outs. It seems to work fine. I set the fader to front. I do not know how it would sound using the line outs.<br>
<br>
The only downside I see so far is that the display is difficult to read in the daylight.<br>
<br>
It took me about 45 minutes to install this radio from start to finish.<br>
<br>
Tools needed...<br>
Small flat knife blade or similar object to remove OEM radio<br>
Wire cutters<br>
Crimping tool<br>
Electrical tape<br>
Wire connectors (closed ended or butt connectors)<br>
Multimeter (or test light... I suggest multimeter)<br>
These AWESOME instructions :)<br>
<br>
I suggest using a wire harness to install the new radio. This way, no wires are cut, and the OEM radio can be reinstalled in 5 min if you ever sell the car.<br>
<br>
I suggest NOT using tape to connect wires together. I suggest using insulated closed ended connectors THAT YOU CRIMP! Twist the wires together and CRIMP! Or use insulated butt-connectors. Do NOT use twist on connectors.<br>
<br>
Harness: Metra Turbowire wire harness #70-9002 for VW. This package comes with two harnesses. The smaller 10 pin harness is NOT used in this installation. The main 16 pin harness is the one that is used. This harness must be modified. It has to be cut in two (props to Gary Hart for this info www.garyhart.com). Do NOT follow wiring codes on back of bag or the writing on the wires themselves. These are incorrect for this car (for instance, 12v constant and ignition are switched). Remember, this is NOT a VW.<br>
<br>
Always use a multimeter to double check wiring. Wire the radio wires to the harness BEFORE plugging the harness to the car. Cover all unused wires individually with a piece of tape to prevent shorts.<br>
<br>
Antenna adapter: Antennaworks antenna adapter cable #40-VW10 for VW/Audi.<br>
<br>
Wiring color codes on the Mercedes harness:<br>
<br>
Brown = Ground<br>
Pink w/ yellow stripe & green dots = 12v ignition<br>
Gray w/ blue stripe = Illumination<br>
Blue w/ white stripe = Amp turn on lead<br>
Red w/ green stripe = 12v constant<br>
Yellow w/ green stripe = ? (I didn't check, sorry)<br>
Green w/ white stripe = ? (I didn't check, sorry)<br>
-------------------------------------------------<br>
Blue w/ red stripe = Left front negative<br>
Blue = Left front positive<br>
Yellow w/ brown stripe = Right front negative<br>
Yellow = Right front positive<br>
<br>
These instructions MIGHT work for other years or SLK models. TEST BEFORE CONNECTING!!!<br>
<br>
There you go! Get yourself a radio and install it! If you live in Jersey, or tri-state area, I can help with installation! :)<br>
<br>
Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have!<br>
<br>
Paul 'NJ CoolBreeze' Lomba<br>
[email protected]<br>
<br>
P.S. Wow this is a long post! :)<br>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts