Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been asked for instruction to remove bumper on the face lift W210. Since mine (previous) car was a 98, I didn't have detail instruction.

Now that I get the ultimate software for Mercedes, the WIS (Workshop Instruction Software), identical to the one used by authorized Mercedes dealer, I'm happy to say that I have instruction for analysis & repair most Mercedes built in the last 20 years. If you need info in anything, let me know. Cost will be $0.0 to you :)

Instruction for bumper removal, haven't figure out how to make pdf file to jpeg file w/ larger size

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,907 Posts
Thanks zam I just added it to our sticky*.

-JOE55

*Should you find any just PM gregs210 with the thread title.

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
Could I possibly get Steering rack removal instructions.

Oh, and transfer case removal as well.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
450SLC; E320 (W211); E350 (W212)
26 Posts
Back Bumper and Trunk Lid Replacement

I am about to swap out a damaged back bumper skin and dented trunk lid on my '97 E420 with ones I brought from a salvage yard. Any info you can give me on doing this would be much appreciated. Regards, BillT

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OliverK said:
Could I possibly get Steering rack removal instructions.

Oh, and transfer case removal as well.

Thanks so much.
PM me your email, I'll send the pdf file to you. Converting the pdf to jpeg right now to image display take too much of time (I don't know how to do it fast)

Transfer case is VIN specific, so if you want info on it, PM me your VIN as well.

BillTMI said:
I am about to swap out a damaged back bumper skin and dented trunk lid on my '97 E420 with ones I brought from a salvage yard. Any info you can give me on doing this would be much appreciated. Regards, BillT
PM me your email.

For everyone, if you need info, pls PM me your email, I'll send you the instruction in acrobat format. If anyone volunteer to convert these pdf file to jpeg for displaying here, let me know, I'll send them to you

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was told that I can just attach the pdf file, let me give it a try here

Instruction to remove front/rear bumper, seat, trunk, steering rack, and to work on transfer case

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OliverK said:
Thanks a lot.

I have to ask, how did you get this, and how much did you pay?

Thanks,
Oliver
Sorry, I can't reveal it. Don't want to get my source in trouble. I paid nothing for it.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic (mine) | 2004 CL600 (mom's)
21 Posts
Zam, could you possible attach the PDF for front shock install on a 4matic?

thanks.
Any luck with this? I subscribed to the alldatadiy.com for a year, but it's a bit difficult to gather. Has lots of useful information, however. Any PDF's would be great for the 4Matic front shock/spring R&R.

·
Registered
Mercedes
238 Posts
could you get a me pdf on detailed instructions on how to replace a coupe of things? i need the lower c member car replaced (the long straight beam under the bumper reinforcement and i also need instructions on how to remove a bumper for my w203 2003 mercedes c230 kompressor 4 dr sedan....thanks a lot.

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
Since these instructions are for the post facelift, here are some of the differences. The 97 and earlier have several extra components, such as chrome strips and a plastic cover just below the headlights. The advantage of the plastic cover is that it can stay on during bumper removal, but I removed it anyway just to have extra clearance.

BTY, the chrome strips are a complete PIA to install.

Attachments

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
There are only 4 nuts that hold on the front bumper highlighted below (2 in front of the radiator, and one on each fender next to the side light marker).

Access to the nuts in front of the radiator will require pulling up on the black plastic grid to remove the lower tab inserts. Also, due to tight clearances these nuts are best removed using a box end ratcheting wrench (such as Sears Gear Wrench). I could not get a socket wrench combo into this space.

Access to the side nuts can be done through the drop panel, and a long arm. The bumper bolt hole for the body frame is larger than the bolt to allow positioning with the bumper to get the body seam gaps to look right. This may require two people for final positioning.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Side marker lights come out prior to dropping the bumper, as described earlier for the post-facelift models.

I found it easier to remove the fog lights after dropping the bumper onto some wooden blocks. They each have three attachment points - two slip connectors and a plastic connector close to the bumper. I cut the plastic connector off and replaced with a mechanical nut/bolt, and used threadlocker.

Photo of the backside of the bumper is shown below, with the four bolts circled. Temperature sensor on the driver's side comes out with a pulling force. Location is marked by the straight line in the photo.

For reassembly, start the nut engagement of the bolts at the front of the radiator, then start the side nuts. Best done with a helper.

Finally, as shown in the photo, I used a rubber drop cloth to protect the new bumper. Had the new pieces painted by a bodyshop at around $300, and did not want to scratch the paint.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts