Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking the used trans will get a new filter, front and rear trans seal, electrical plug, new torque converter.

The question is, what other items should I replace while the trans is out?

Rear main seal on the engine? I'm assuming this is a great time to change it, but the thing is it's not leaking so its a toss up.

Any one know who manufactures the genuine OE torque converters for this vehicle?

Should the valve body get replaced?

Is there an OE trans fluid thats a better price than the dealer item?

·
Registered
10 c63, 06 s65
292 Posts
Personally if its not too much work i would change the rear main and i would also check the trans mounts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will post a photo of the dealer invoice of all the parts and part numbers I purchased. Including the 65k mile used trans my DIY total is around 2k not including some tools I had to buy.

From what I hear since I am using a trans 1 year newer I have some SDS coding or adaptation work that needs to be done? Can some one give me some advice on what to look for when I hook up the star computer?

·
Registered
SL500, GLC300
1,689 Posts
can you put a 5 speed in a previously 4 speed car?

·
R129 HTT Founder Member
040 96' SL500, 368 08' E550 4Matic, 775 08' R350 4Matic, 9147 13' Sprinter 2500
7,523 Posts
I'm sure it could be done but considering you are going from a 4 speed hydraulic to a 5 speed electronic it won't be a simple trans swap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,122 Posts
The R129 had 5-sp hydraulic too for earlier 300SL, but that could not handle the torque of the V8 so that was why 500SL had the 4-sp until the 5-sp electronic 722.6x came along.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
1,977 Posts
PLIL plus the contact plate and forward electrical connector o-ring.

Might want to check the K2 (I think this is the right one) spring inside the valve body.

Other than that, the thing that lets go on these trannys is the K2 bearing which requires you to dissassemble the tranny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts