Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1981 240D
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1981 240D 120K miles

I recently purchased a new instrument cluster because one of the gears in the original speedometer chipped one of its teeth off, and in turn made a horrid clicking noise every second while driving (the speedo cable has been disconnected for about 3 weeks now).

Are there any tips and or tricks that I should know about before, during or after this process that I should know about? For instance, I am looking at the replacement cluster and notice the oil pressure gauge is obviously pressurized, if I disconnect it will there be any negative ramifications?

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
No, you need to swap it out, so hold the hex on the cluster when you use another wrench to tighten the "nut" on the end of the line in your car. It's similar to a brake line, the "nut" tightens without the inside turning.

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
349 Posts
A few months ago, I had my mechanic replace my speedometer cable after I couldn't remove the instrument cluster. Since then, the plastic shield on the front of the cluster has some spots on the inside that are quite annoying to see everyday, and on occasion I'll hear a rattling noise from within the cluster as if something isn't quite tight enough.

Does anyone feel the need to use the custom instrument removal tools?

·
Registered
2012 E350 :-) 2002 E320 (sold)
432 Posts
Does anyone feel the need to use the custom instrument removal tools?
No, I used a bent metal coat hanger several times. Don't use a flimsy white hanger. Pull on one side and then the other. It should come out easily. NO key in the ignition.

·
Registered
'83 300D
638 Posts
Just make sure not to start the car with the oil line loose/disconnected, oil will squirt out all over the place.
This can't be stated enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts