Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a set of Euro headlamps off a guy for $200 (who pulled them off a 500SEL in a junkyard :crybaby2: ) And when I asked what the huge vacuum diaphragm inside it was for, he said it was for leveling the lights. He told me to make them work, I'd need the roller switch that controls them, the valve body that modulates the amount of vacuum, and a vacuum source. I found a bezel with switch on CL for $10, and I've got plenty of vacuum sources under the hood, but where can I get the valve body?

Some searching around has genuinely confused me, as the valve body isn't mentioned very often and it seems that it may or may not exist. The one time it was, it came in the form of a giant German word (Scheinwerferniveauregulierung :eek:).

I don't really need them, it's more of a desire to complete the install and make them work to their complete functionality. Besides, if I don't install them, I'm almost certain at some point I'm going to wish I did.

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
there is a post somewhere here which shows where you 'T' into the vacuum source - you may have to search through a fair few Euro headlight threads to find it - it was this year however...

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
but where can I get the valve body?

Some searching around has genuinely confused me, as the valve body isn't mentioned very often and it seems that it may or may not exist. The one time it was, it came in the form of a giant German word (Scheinwerferniveauregulierung :eek:).
Pretty common one way vacuum valve for Mercedes.

Number 6 in the diagram:

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty common one way vacuum valve for Mercedes.

Number 6 in the diagram:
Thank you very, very much. That's exactly what I needed to know.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,149 Posts
Ooh thats great, many thanks. Still unable to get my levelling to work despite changing bezel, valve etc. This will be very useful.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,149 Posts
That works an absolute treat. Thanks very much for posting it up. My non working headlamp adjust has been bugging me for ages, but i just T'd into the economy gauge vacuum line as suggested and its all good now. Yay :)

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,738 Posts
Coincidence, I just found one more 0 - 1 - 2 - 4 four position switch in my glove box.
Bosch # 0 307 650 100, Mercedes # looks like 000 800 0473, the similar Hella switch has the same MB #, Hella 5LL003595-00 Hella 2.
The switch plates / surrounds are part # Mercedes 126 689 00 80, one (of the 4 in front of me) is updated.
In addition to the white stenciled light graphics on top, it also has them on the bottom right for the pull out stops to turn on the front fogs, and front fogs with bright red rear warning light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts