Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got some Depo Headlamps and they fit fine but just wondering on the wiring connection is different from the factory, what and how to modify to make the connection fit to the depo headlamps (i'll be installing H4 and H3 bulbs?) thanks Mac

·
Registered
1984 300CD, 1983 240TD Euro
2,652 Posts
You need to change the four pronged plugs to the six pronged plugs.
Part # 011 545 50 28
They snap open easily. The plugs are available at the dealer for a $2 $3 each or look on eBay for "Mercedes european headlight plugs" (not my listing). Also parts.com. If you can get to a salvage yard, W123 - W124 and W201 use the plugs on the tail lights.

Here is a wire diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to change the four pronged plugs to the six pronged plugs.
Part # 011 545 50 28
They snap open easily. The plugs are available at the dealer for a $2 $3 each or look on eBay for "Mercedes european headlight plugs" (not my listing). Also parts.com. If you can get to a salvage yard, W123 - W124 and W201 use the plugs on the tail lights.

Here is a wire diagram.
Ok, thanks.
Just to be clarify the depo lights have 5 pronged and the original had 4 pronged. So will the 6 pronged plugs work with the depo 5 pronged lights. If so than i can just get the Part # 011 545 50 28 from local Mercedes local dealer and I'm good or there a another part # for the 5 pronged? thanks

·
Registered
1984 300CD, 1983 240TD Euro
2,652 Posts
Ok, thanks.
Just to be clarify the depo lights have 5 pronged and the original had 4 pronged. So will the 6 pronged plugs work with the depo 5 pronged lights.
Yes. Bosch, Hella and Depot European headlights all have the same plug configuration.

If so than i can just get the Part # 011 545 50 28 from local Mercedes local dealer and I'm good or there a another part # for the 5 pronged? thanks
You need 2 plugs but no other parts needed from the dealer.

OK, I'll try to explain the 6 prong plugs and the 5 prongs on the lights. Tiny numbers are imprinted on the plug-in side of the plug or you can look at the attached wire diagram. If you look at the wire diagram you will see that the # 1 post is vacant. For the simple connection to your headlights, # 3 will also be vacant, # 3 is for "City Lights".

What are "City Lights", you may ask?

European models don't have side lights, front or back, as required by USDOT, they have city lights in the front. This done with a small 4w bulb incorporated into the main reflector of the Euro headlights. The instructions I posted address the use of a jumper wire from your US side/corner light to the 4w city light prong in the plug. I normally sell a kit for this, but I am in the middle of a move and I am presently out of stock. LOOK HERE Maybe in September.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
IIRC the Depo city light isn't the same bulb as in the Bosch or Hella. I think it's a "wedge" type bulb instead.

Those city lights look cool. Yeah us in the NAM (North American Market) don't get them but the ROW (rest of world) W123's all had them standard, with the exception of a few certain cases. Gary's attached file is the one to use. You may either want to splice a new line from the park light wire from the turn signal to the city light slot in the 6-pin connector, or simple disconnect the said wire from the turn signal light and wire it into the city light slot instead. In my case I just spliced another wire in order not to butcher the original wiring insulation. I placed electrical tape into one of the dual contacts of the turn signal bulb, because one of them is for the side marker. If I didn't do that, the side marker would be on together with the city lights. I prefer the city lights by themselves.

Shown here with Bosch headlights & 5W (not 4W - see below) city light

If your city lights use the same type of bulb as the Bosch or Hella, you can use a higher wattage bulb (5W) in place of the standard 4W. This will give a whiter light but the bulb will be slightly more expensive.

·
Registered
w140 s500 1994,w123 230c, w123 280ce etc
279 Posts
W123 euro lamps

I am currently breaking a w123 here in the uk if you want I will snip the plugs and some wiring if any good to you for the shipping cost.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may either want to splice a new line from the park light wire from the turn signal to the city light slot in the 6-pin connector, or simple disconnect the said wire from the turn signal light and wire it into the city light slot instead. In my case I just spliced another wire in order not to butcher the original wiring insulation. I placed electrical tape into one of the dual contacts of the turn signal bulb, because one of them is for the side marker. If I didn't do that, the side marker would be on together with the city lights. I prefer the city lights by themselves.
I did ordered the 6 pin connector. You mentioned you just spliced the wire (#4 wire) from the turn signal; instead of connecting the jumper wire inside connector, making a three way connection...one going to the turn signal light and other to the headlamps, correct?
And which dual contacts did you place the electrical tape over so the side marker would not turn on with city lights?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I did ordered the 6 pin connector. You mentioned you just spliced the wire (#4 wire) from the turn signal; instead of connecting the jumper wire inside connector, making a three way connection...one going to the turn signal light and other to the headlamps, correct?
I mentioned two options: splice a new (jumper) wire from the park light to the city light or grab the original park light and reposition into the city light slot.

And which dual contacts did you place the electrical tape over so the side marker would not turn on with city lights?
You'll just have to test which of the two contacts to tape, I don't recall which one but this is a very easy step. If you grab the original wire for the park lights and transfer this to the city light, then there's no need to tape the other contact.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, that was fairly easy. Just haven't got the city lights, yet. Now, what bulbs do i need to get for the city lights for the Depo ( read at another post that these may work:
, but can't seem to find where would these fit in the Depo lights).
Also, any reason why i need the parking lights and city lights. can i just keep the city lights, only? Is it better just to have the city lights (if so, could i just remove the connector from the parking light and put it in #3 on the head lamps).
If looks as most folks keep both...

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Parking lights are required by the US DOT. If you wish to run them in tandem with the city lights, you can do so. But if you want to do it the correct way, the only the city lights are lit when the first detent of the headlight switch is activated, to the right.

I forgot what bulbs the DEPO uses, I think it's a wedge bulb. For future reference, you may wish to post that thread where you read that LEDs work good on these headlights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts