Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
once you have removed the gauge cluster from the dashboard, and unplugged the 4 connecters, take the cluster to a clean, well lit area.

prepare the cluster and rings, notice my orange helper in the corner.

start by taking the first screw off.

and the second.

now turn the cluster upside down, and gently pry the 5 tabs off.

once the 5 tabs are released at once, take the facia off.

remove the indicators strips, and set them with the gauges away.

start with the smallest chrome ring.

insert the small ring (clock and gas tank level) through the next larger hole, and slide it behind the clear plastic.

push down to make sure it sticks, make sure you press down 360* degree around. repeat for the other side.

in a similar fashion, slide the 2nd larger ring (tacho and tri gauge) through the speedo opening.

·
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

push down to make sure it sticks, dont toch the clear plastic on the iside, its really hard to clean. rubber gloves are not a bad idea.

insert the large ring as seen in the picture.

turn it and twist it.

and now turn it to align the flat line with the flat section of the speed openning.

make sure the ring and the openning edge are perfectly aligned, use the VDO marking as a refrence. this is critical.

make sure no finge prints are on the inside of the clear plastic, and place the cover back where it belongs, watch for the 2 shafts to go through the holes.

do not lock the facia just yet, notice the holes on the side to inset the indicators strip.

slide the strips in on both side.

now you can safely lock the 5 tabs, then reinstall the 2 screws.

nJoy the great look.

·
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
612 Posts
thank you very much Bayhas! always enjoy ur writeups.

slightly off topic but what would be involved in replacing the clock in the instrument cluster?
....is the cluster one unit?
from your nice pictures its almost looks like the tack, speedo and clock are held in by screws?

is replacing the clock alone possible?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Thank you Bayhas, for sharing the procedure. It'll be of great help, as I would have the chrome rings and white gauge faces installed after the holidays.

Chicky

·
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Bayhas, for sharing the procedure. It'll be of great help, as I would have the chrome rings and white gauge faces installed after the holidays.

Chicky
yeah, the R129 cluster is very very close to the W140, if not interchangable...

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
slightly off topic but what would be involved in replacing the clock in the instrument cluster?
....is the cluster one unit?
from your nice pictures its almost looks like the tack, speedo and clock are held in by screws?

is replacing the clock alone possible?
I repaired back light of outside temperature display recently and I can confirm that you can replace the clock. You can replace each unit (clock, speedo, fuel gauge ...) as a separate unit. Basically, you must remove the plastic transparent cover as it is presented in the above pictures and then unscrew the clock (I did not do it, but I assume with high certainity that it is so).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thank you

Thank you Bayhas for the great tutorial and pics. I see that you are over the 300k + miles plateau, congratulations.
This will definitely be my first project for the new year. Thanks again!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
So going back to my previous question, how did you manage to squeeze the burlwood inside the cluster? or can you take the front face off :confused:

·
Registered
139 Posts
So going back to my previous question, how did you manage to squeeze the burlwood inside the cluster? or can you take the front face off :confused:
Let me clear it up for you, I bought the actual cluster housing, complete with front face etc. that is made out of actual burl wood at a cost of a few hundred dollars. Based on your question, I assume you are talking about the burlwood tape application that can be applied to the original cluster? If yes, I do not know how you can apply it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Let me clear it up for you, I bought the actual cluster housing, complete with front face etc. that is made out of actual burl wood at a cost of a few hundred dollars. Based on your question, I assume you are talking about the burlwood tape application that can be applied to the original cluster? If yes, I do not know how you can apply it.
Thanks for the clarification. I remember your pictures when Bayhas was gathering up members for the chrome rings though I always assumed you did the 2-step installation :surrender:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts