Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Received my carpets and they are not exactly same as originals. Close but several need some trimming to make them fit.

I have the console carpets installed and luckily I had the console out and the old carpets as a guide. I had to trim them to get proper curve where they insert into console. Once installed, they look fine. Luckily they did not have edging on except in one corner, otherwise I would have had to cut it off.

The problem I see now, is with the threshhold carpets. As you can see below, they are different and have a large return piece. This carpet has to clear the seat tracks.

What do you think I should do? - just cut off the return piece?? It is also too wide and if trimmed to just meet the floor, there would not be much left.

Any idea why the original had the flap with snap fastener and just on the driver's side?

BTW, I asked the vendor but he said they look fine to him! I am sure they WILL be fine once installed.

He suggested the Cognac color as a better match than the brown and it does look a lot better than the original dark brown.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
The problem I see now, is with the threshhold carpets. As you can see below, they are different and have a large return piece. This carpet has to clear the seat tracks.
Sorry, I'd love to help but they must have changed carpet design between your car and either of mine. They didn't have carpet pieces that look like either of the ones you pictured. Have you tried dry fitting it? Maybe the original carpet looked like that.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,104 Posts
If the lower picture is the original then clearly you have the wrong carpets. It's not brain surgery. The guy you bought from must have a little extra shit in him 'cause he's full.

I haven't heard of anybody having to modify to that extent. Who did you end up buying from?

I cut my own carpets using the originals as templates and guess what? They fit like a charm!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I'd love to help but they must have changed carpet design between your car and either of mine. They didn't have carpet pieces that look like either of the ones you pictured. Have you tried dry fitting it? Maybe the original carpet looked like that.
This is an early car, so that might be the difference.

I did try dry fitting the new one, but there is no place for the return piece that would be under the seat rack, except on the floor, and that makes no sense. I think I may just have to cut it off.

The old carpet is an original - the snap on the flap is a bit weird - seems like it is intended to be removed for some type of adjustment or lubrication, but only on driver's side!

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the lower picture is the original then clearly you have the wrong carpets. It's not brain surgery. The guy you bought from must have a little extra shit in him 'cause he's full.

I haven't heard of anybody having to modify to that extent. Who did you end up buying from?

I cut my own carpets using the originals as templates and guess what? They fit like a charm!
Nobby,

Now that the carpets are almost complete, I wish I had taken your route.

There were quite a few things wrong and poor workmanship on the edging. I may still have some problems when I try and install the seats.

The vendor was John - the guy ussun and other recommended. Also known as QualityTops&interiors and GermanAutoTops.

Price was good and carpet itself OK.

In the end it will look OK, but I should have probably gone with WU or Heritage in Vancouver or cut the pieces myself as you did.

·
Always Remembered RIP
3,381 Posts
I really hope they came out good. I didn't install mine myself so I didn't go through all the details like you. Mine came out so good I still think John was a great deal for me. He also did my seat leather and the came out so really nice too.

I can see that the match wasn't very accurate for you. Do you have pics of the finished job. I'd really like to see it all.

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
Nobby,

Now that the carpets are almost complete, I wish I had taken your route.

There were quite a few things wrong and poor workmanship on the edging. I may still have some problems when I try and install the seats.

The vendor was John - the guy ussun and other recommended. Also known as QualityTops&interiors and GermanAutoTops.

Price was good and carpet itself OK.

In the end it will look OK, but I should have probably gone with WU or Heritage in Vancouver or cut the pieces myself as you did.
I got my carpets from GermanAutoTops and I had no problem installing them into a 560SL. I am assuming he only is making one cut and that it is most likely for the 560SL.

As far as quality is concerned I found the carpets came with no parring at all. But I paid about $700 for the complete kit if I recall something like 20 pieces of carpet. I priced out the left front carpet from MB and for that one carpet which comes with an inch of padding it was over $700. As I have always said you get what you pay for but with MB you pay alot more to get a little more.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as quality is concerned I found the carpets came with no parring at all.
What do you mean by parring?

I looked up the price of a carpet set for my car on German Auto Tops site. It is $719.00. Yet, same seller (John) is selling similar set on eBay under name QualityTopsandinteriorsfor 1/2 the price. To add to confusion, emails come from "Armen Oganesyan <[email protected]>" but are signed John!

I can't fault John on the service - carpets were shipped on time and he went to the trouble of getting me some vinyl dye.

But, none of the carpets really fit properly. I could post more pictures to illustrate the problems, but don't think I will. If anyone is ordering and wants to see them, I can send them on.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Looks great in the pictures! I would be interested in knowing what problems you had with fitting the carpet?

I have been thinking of changing from palimino to black also. What pieces did you dye and what pieces did you replace? I would be very interested in knowing how the dye holds up to wear?

·
Registered
370 Posts
You didn't happen to take a pic of the console sides did you? I have the newer style console now (less sides), but would like to see what is involved with the new sides.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I got my carpets from GermanAutoTops and I had no problem installing them into a 560SL. I am assuming he only is making one cut and that it is most likely for the 560SL.
Roncallo, Ussun,

If the cut is the same, did either of you have either of these problems?

Under parcel shelf:

Tunnel cover not curved, so rides up on console

opening for seat track would cover mounting holes if I had not cut carpet :

There were a few other issues too.

Too bad since service was quick and seller was helpful.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Definitely not under the parcel shelf, they were rounded and fit perfectly. I did have to trim for the seat track on the driver side, but I had to do that for both the 75 (from one guy) and the 78 (from another place), so I didn't gripe. It seemed to be the thing.

I don't know where you got them from, but I'd call and give them a chance to fix it. Maybe they won't, and that's when you tell them you'll be sure to let all the other 107 owners know.

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
What do you mean by parring?

I looked up the price of a carpet set for my car on German Auto Tops site. It is $719.00. Yet, same seller (John) is selling similar set on eBay under name QualityTopsandinteriorsfor 1/2 the price. To add to confusion, emails come from "Armen Oganesyan <[email protected]>" but are signed John!

I can't fault John on the service - carpets were shipped on time and he went to the trouble of getting me some vinyl dye.

But, none of the carpets really fit properly. I could post more pictures to illustrate the problems, but don't think I will. If anyone is ordering and wants to see them, I can send them on.
parring that is the fat finger version of padding. I'm not sure of the price I paid but I did purchase through e-bay.

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
Looks great in the pictures! I would be interested in knowing what problems you had with fitting the carpet?

I have been thinking of changing from palimino to black also. What pieces did you dye and what pieces did you replace? I would be very interested in knowing how the dye holds up to wear?
I used SEM flexible coatings. The SEM , when prepped right actually hold up very well. I havent had any problems. The biggest problem is that if you scratch black over palimino it become very obvious. And you will always scratch when remove the instrument cluster or AC control panel. You always need to have a can to touch up just for this reason.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
Roncallo, Ussun,

There were a few other issues too.

Too bad since service was quick and seller was helpful.
Mine generally had a similar mismatch you show in in the second picture not much of a significant factor. I did not have the gaps you show under the parcel shelf.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I don't know where you got them from, but I'd call and give them a chance to fix it. Maybe they won't, and that's when you tell them you'll be sure to let all the other 107 owners know.
The supplier (John) did offer to fix the problems. But cross border shipping and a further delay make this impractical.

There should not have been so many fit-up problems, but in the end, it looks fine. That is, except for one thing.

The heel pad is wrinkled and will not lie flat. I even unglued it from the underpadding and re-glued it, but it stays the same. Must have been put on loose and on a cold day :) Vinyl expands a lot more than most products.

Any suggestions other than cover it up?

BTW, the console is not THAT colour! Dye must reflect flash differently from other parts!

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Any suggestions other than cover it up?
Yes, but not about your heel pad.

If you look at the accessory tray in the new center console, you'll see it has a lip overlapping the bottom of the tray all the way around the edges. It's supposed to have a small piece of carpet in there. Gives it a nice finished look.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts