Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

installing blinker mirrors help

1929 Views 12 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Pewhipadus
Hi I purchased a 1997 S320 last week, so I am new to the W140 world. The first thing I had to do was get those Mercedes-signature blinker mirrors, so I purchased a set from Ebay.

Does anyone have any idea how to take the old mirror cover off? I see theres no screw or anything holding it in. I fold the mirrors in and keep pulling but to no avail. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
86 560SEL
1,334 Posts
I am not sure, but I think you need to start from inside of the car. Remove the cover pla...

I am not sure, but I think you need to start from inside of the car. Remove the cover plate and you'd see the stuff you need to remove, I think.

· Registered
BMW E36, MB W140
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can remove the entire mirror assembly from the body (3 screws visible when mirror fo...

I can remove the entire mirror assembly from the body (3 screws visible when mirror folded), but I can't get the painted cover off the mirror assembly. (the blinker mirror cover goes over the originl mirror assembly).

the instructions that came with the blinker mirrors simply saids to pull it off. I'm afraid of pulling too hard...

thanks

· Registered
See signature
60 Posts
Where did you purchase them from? I asked a seller if they'd fit my '92 w140 and he said t...

Where did you purchase them from? I asked a seller if they'd fit my '92 w140 and he said they won't fit. Aren't all of the w140 mirrors the same? Give a good yank, and if you break off the cover, you still have that new set to put on :)

· Registered
BMW E36, MB W140
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i purchased it from the Ebay vendor "bmwmb", you can search him on Ebay... he hasn'...

i purchased it from the Ebay vendor "bmwmb", you can search him on Ebay... he hasn't posted the mirrors for awhile, but was told he still has them... you can probably

it fits the C (95-2000), the E(96-98), and all S W140, since they all have same mirror...

i can't just pull the cover off with brute force, the cover won't break, but the mirror assembly (motors and hinge) will... i can already hear it making awful crackling noises...

· Registered
1998 S320 Black
6 Posts
Hi, I got 98 S320 Black delivered from Taxas. And a stupid truck driver bamed on guard rails while unloading and broken both side mirrors. The mirrors are operatable, but they are just dangling on the air... :-<

Do you know where I can buy the mirrors in a cheap price, and is it easy to replace them myself? I brought the car to a local Benz dealer and they were asking $1,400 at minimum!!! Couldn't believe that would costs that much!

Appreciate your advise.

-Joon San Francisco

· Registered
BMW E36, MB W140
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Joon,

S-class mirrors are about $325usd each from the auto-recyclers. Awhile back I phoned some recyclers in east Los Angeles, and that was the price they quoted me.

I also heard that C-class (W202) mirrors will fit the W140 S-class (same mirror), but they won't have the motor to fold-in the mirror, so you'd have to figure out how to move the motor over... C-class mirrors are very cheap on Ebay, like $50 bucks or so...

Rainmaker

· Registered
W140/JagVDP
43 Posts
RE: Removing Old Cover

First. Move mirror glass in as far as they will go. Don't do this and the innermost part will bind as you attempt to pull the mirror cover out.
Second. Bring both mirrors in towards the car.
Third. Study your new mirrors. Find the corresponding two tabs (about 1.5 inches in) on the installed mirror.
Forth. Locate a 2.5" rod (spring) in front of the tabs.
Fifth. With a thin blade screwdriver, gently lift the spring from the bottom clip... Now the top. Pull cover off. It's difficult to see, but if you look at the top of the spring there's a loop you can slip a thin screwdriver into. If you're careful you can just lift it from the plastic tabs.

· Registered
W140/JagVDP
43 Posts
RE: Wiring blinker mirrors

Remove the driver’s side sill. It just pries up. The green/black wire is passenger’s side, the orange/white is driver’s side. (I would remove the trunk lights and use a meter to make sure… And to trace the proper brown wires. Remove the door panels, push the new mirror wire(s) alongside the existing mirror wire loom and feed through the door, down to the rubber connector, through the foot wells, and over to the right sill.
You may also, bring the wire(s) from the foot wells, through the firewall, along the fender(s), and up to the front corner lights. This method would save you the need to trace wires and no need to splice in extra wire on the passenger’s side. The corner lights have the three wires harnessed to them. The red wire on the mirrors attaches to the grn/blk (pass) orng/wht (driv). Brn to brn, and of course, blk to blk,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.