Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the kit delivered and have read thru the instructions several times, seems pretty straight forward and is nothing I havent done before. I was wondering if anyone who has installed it before could give me an idea of how long I should expect the process to take?

Is there anything that you found challenging?

Thanks,

·
Registered
'98 SLK230, 2007 Black E63 AMG
189 Posts
I am going to be ordering one of these in the next week or so, so if you want to post some pics and experience with your install, that would be great!

PT

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
they need a group buy... $400 for the trick is too much!!!

if it was $200 i'd get it in a heart beat!

·
Registered
189 Posts
SLKRoadster99 - 5/11/2005 9:34 PM

I agree, thats why I have been putting off getting it, but I finally decided that I want to be able to open the top from outside, and there is no other option...

Maybe we could negoitate with Jerry...

PT

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
yes lets do a group buy or something and haggle[:D]

I love to be able to open the top from outside. it would be the hottest thing to do. my brothers Z4 he can do it from outside just by turning the key....VWs/Audis can raise or lower windows... but WHY CAN'T WE!?

it blows

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ok, anyone interested post in this thread and lets see how many there are.

The new R171's can do it BTW.

PT

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
YEAH BOYCOTT VARIOROOF COMANDER ....i mean LETS all go buy it so he will drop the price for us [:)]

I WANT THIS :)

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
YES we got like 4 people now

can someone officially talk to the seller and maybe he can HOOK US UP?

lol

·
Registered
SLK32
915 Posts
pterion - 5/11/2005 5:41 PM

Ok, anyone interested post in this thread and lets see how many there are.

The new R171's can do it BTW.

PT
Yeah, if you're standing 3 feet away from the passenger door. The bipes is much cooler than that, open the top from across the parking lot, completely open by the time you get to the car.

Actually, I think the best part is walking away and putting the top up remotely.

BTW, is it standard? or an option on the R171? If an option, how much does the option cost? I looked it up, it's part of the $1450 package. I'd say the BVRC is well worth it.

However, more power to you if you can get a group buy.

·
Registered
SLK
543 Posts
pterion - 5/11/2005 9:56 PM

SLKRoadster99 - 5/11/2005 9:34 PM

I agree, thats why I have been putting off getting it, but I finally decided that I want to be able to open the top from outside, and there is no other option...

Maybe we could negoitate with Jerry...

PT
THERE IS ANOTHER OPTION

I have installed the Patriot car alarm module which uses a mobile sim card for communication with my phone. I ring a number, input my security number and then by pressing different numbers it commands it to do different things.

When i push 31# the ignition turns on to accessories and the roof comes off and then the ignition turns off.

When i push 30# the ignition comes on, the roof closes and then it turns off again.

It also commands the engine start, windows up and down, heater, stereo etc.

When the alarm goes off it rings my mobile and i can listen in on what is going on in the car and talk to would be theieves.

get one - it works well

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
hell yeah like 7 people now.....

i'll just have to contact the seller about this.

about the cell phone idea... where are you? in US? cuz it seems way too nice for the USA. we don't have no cell phone tricks or nothing lol

but sounds neat though. I wanna get it done. DO you think aftermarket alarm company has a module to control the windows but instead control the roof?

that would be awesome!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have two SLKs that I'd like to have fitted for this add-on; the one-touch feature is a great reason alone, but the drive-way 25mph is what I'm interested in getting. Nobody feels sorry for a Mercedes owner, and especially those who stall traffic when caught with the roof in mid-operation at a green traffic light.

Count me in for a Vario roof commander, at least one.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
143 Posts
I've had the BVRC for a year and it's great. Dick Bipes did a great engineering job with this.

Most of the wiring was straightforward and I did it myself.

The one note of caution, splicing the wires in on wiring harness can be a bit intimidating. You either do it under the dash or under the hood. Take a very close look at that and make sure you understand which wires in the harness must be spliced.

I found I couldn't trace out which wires to splice with 100% confidence, so rather than having me screw up a perfectly good $40K automobile, I ended up having my independent MB repair shop do it.

Best of luck guys! Enjoy the "after effects"!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts