Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99' Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everybody!

I'm new here and I'm also fairly new at wiring up aftermarket stereo decks and what not.

My dilemma is this;

I have the deck installed it powers up, lights up, etc. but no sound!

I understand the speaker wiring, I have the wiring diagram for my 96' e320 which is a w210 with a Bose Audio System. From what I was told as I have a Bose Audio System, 8 or 10 speakers, that each speaker apparently is individually hooked up to a Bose Amp. (OH, and being cheap I cut the stock radio harness to wire it up)

I guess my question is; (and please dumb this down for me as much as possible as I'm very new)

How do I get sound, and I looking for some sort of Amp Trigger Wire , or something to do with my Ant Trigger Wire, or any Wire for that matter?

I can't wait to get this thing to work, any help or advice would be much appreciated! Thank You. :surrender:

·
Registered
2003 S430
25 Posts
I just installed an aftermarket radio in my E320(with BOSE) and I remember there being a "trigger wire" as you mentioned. On your new radio you're looking for a blue wire with a white stripe on it, that is the "remote wire" that will send the signal to kick the BOSE amp on. I'll have to run out to my car in a little bit and pull the head unit out and tell you which wire on the factory harness you need to tie the blue/white wire into. I want to say it's blue, but don't hold me to it! Give me an hour or so and I'll let you know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just installed an aftermarket radio in my E320(with BOSE) and I remember there being a "trigger wire" as you mentioned. On your new radio you're looking for a blue wire with a white stripe on it, that is the "remote wire" that will send the signal to kick the BOSE amp on. I'll have to run out to my car in a little bit and pull the head unit out and tell you which wire on the factory harness you need to tie the blue/white wire into. I want to say it's blue, but don't hold me to it! Give me an hour or so and I'll let you know.

What a quick response! Thank You. I will simply try a couple different wires with the blue/white wire from my aftermarket to a few of the others from the stock harness, at least until I hear back from you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 S430
25 Posts
Just went out to my car and took a look for you. On my stock wiring harness the wire you're looking for is also blue with the white stripe. As long as your vehicle has the same radio harness from the factory you should be all set! :) I'm sure an E55 has the same wiring harness as my 98 E320

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just went out to my car and took a look for you. On my stock wiring harness the wire you're looking for is also blue with the white stripe. As long as your vehicle has the same radio harness from the factory you should be all set! :) I'm sure an E55 has the same wiring harness as my 98 E320
Sorry it's a 96' e320 I don't know why it says E55, I wish it was an E55 :cool: I'm going to look now! I appreciate the help and advice, I'll let you know shortly what the word is.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the late reply, this did the trick, works perfect now! :D

Blue/White wire was the one that sent the signal to the amp to engage sound. I suggest this Topic to Anybody looking for a solution to this issue.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now I just need to figure out why I hear a high pitch noise from my speakers every now and than when the RPM's get higher, I heard it might not be a secure enough Ground? No worries, this is minor and I can figure out in no time! Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great tip! It works great now!

Excellent! Earlier today, I had the same problem, installing an aftermarket BlueTooth-ready stereo in my 1999 Mercedes E430. I connected all the power and speaker wires up, but I left the blue wire on my radio's plug taped up, since there is no electric motorized antenna, so I didn't think it needed to be hooked up. Everything else was set up fine, but NO SOUND. As soon as I read this, I ran outside in the dark and hooked that blue/white antenna/amp trigger wire to the radio's antenna trigger wire, it started cranking the decibels! That makes perfect sense, since the Bose amplifier wasn't turned on. I just kind of thought it would 'feel' the signal coming from the right and left speaker wires and kick on.

My stereo is kind of badass - my sister-in-law was throwing out her white Bose subwoofer when she remodeled, and she gave it to me - I stuck it in the trunk, behind the seats. It is the size of a desktop PC. It absolutely screams, but with that old Becker stereo, which was failing, it would always make the horrific 'thunder sound' and also the volume control was totally messed up. You would turn it down and the volume would go to 100% in half a second. I just wouldn't turn it on, it was so unpredictable.

Just now, I connected it to my iPhone, and played Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me With Science", at 100%. It was magnificent, and skull-jarring, with that subwoofer screaming. I think I lost a filling! :laugh Thanks for this terrific tip!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is a cheapie stereo

It is a totally cheap Bluetooth stereo, it was $20; the cheapest one that Walmart sells. It is called "Dual", and has USB, AM/FM and Bluetooth. It does not have a CD player, but hey, who uses CDs anymore? Not me; I just stream music from Amazon Radio or Pandora, or more often than that, just listen to Audible books.

I wanted to keep the Becker stereo, but the only way to add Bluetooth was to either re-wire the head unit, or use one of those Bluetooth cassette adapters, which you have to recharge all the time. I considered taking the Becker apart and basically tapping into the cassette input, and connecting a Bluetooth module to that input. But remember that the volume control also needed to be replaced.

I considered getting a nice Kenwood stereo with a video screen for a rear camera, but I also have to worry about someone breaking into my car, and stealing it, since I leave it in a parking lot all day, to ride a commuter van pool to work. NOBODY will steal this Dual stereo.

What is the make and model of the stereo you installed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
A few things to consider about wiring and speakers...

I have installed many car stereos over the years, and one thing that I typically do is have a 9-volt battery with me to attach to the speaker wires. When you put a voltage across speaker wires, it clicks, and you can locate which speaker the wires go to. This did not work, and then I realized that you can not do this trick when you are working on a Mercedes stereo that has an amplifier attached to it. You think that the speaker left front + and - wires go to the speaker, right? No. They go straight to the amplifier, and a different set of wires goes to the speakers. Besides that, the amplifier isn't even on, when you have the car off to do wiring.

Also, I typically have a multi-meter with me when I am doing this. Why? Well, there are two positive power wires and a negative ground. So you see a red wire and you think this is the positive ignition wire. Nope, it might be the always-on wire. One wire on your stereo says Power and one says Memory. Memory needs to be always on, so that the stereo can remember your stations. So, connect the Mercedes' ground wire (mine was brown) to the multi-meter's black probe, and then try the two power wires. One will be always on, even when the car is off; that is the memory wire. The other power wire only comes on when your key is on. Sure, you can always hook both wires to the power, and your stereo will still work, but you might run your battery down if you park it for a week with the radio on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A few things to consider about wiring and speakers...

I have installed many car stereos over the years, and one thing that I typically do is have a 9-volt battery with me to attach to the speaker wires. When you put a voltage across speaker wires, it clicks, and you can locate which speaker the wires go to. This did not work, and then I realized that you can not do this trick when you are working on a Mercedes stereo that has an amplifier attached to it. You think that the speaker left front + and - wires go to the speaker, right? No. They go straight to the amplifier, and a different set of wires goes to the speakers. Besides that, the amplifier isn't even on, when you have the car off to do wiring.

Also, I typically have a multi-meter with me when I am doing this. Why? Well, there are two positive power wires and a negative ground. So you see a red wire and you think this is the positive ignition wire. Nope, it might be the always-on wire. One wire on your stereo says Power and one says Memory. Memory needs to be always on, so that the stereo can remember your stations. So, connect the Mercedes' ground wire (mine was brown) to the multi-meter's black probe, and then try the two power wires. One will be always on, even when the car is off; that is the memory wire. The other power wire only comes on when your key is on. Sure, you can always hook both wires to the power, and your stereo will still work, but you might run your battery down if you park it for a week with the radio on.
Hello, I'm trying to install a boss stereo in a 1995 Mercedes Benz E320. I have the ground, accessory, and constant wires hooked up and my radio comes on the problem I'm having is that in my car I have 2 wires that are blue with a white stripe and don't have that wire on the radio the only wire I have on the radio is a blue power antenna wire. Do you have any idea what I need to do.

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
3,749 Posts
Hello, I'm trying to install a boss stereo in a 1995 Mercedes Benz E320. I have the ground, accessory, and constant wires hooked up and my radio comes on the problem I'm having is that in my car I have 2 wires that are blue with a white stripe and don't have that wire on the radio the only wire I have on the radio is a blue power antenna wire. Do you have any idea what I need to do.
Great more run-on sentences....
Help us help you....
Kindly correct your grammar, punctuation, capitalization so that we can read what you have done.
I/We really dont want to spend time deciphering what you've written

Cheers

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,159 Posts
Do you not have the Boss instructions or wiring schematic on how to perform the hook up? Often, the wire insulation color isn't the most reliable method and there can be many variations on a theme. It isn't as if car manufacturers all use some universal wire color code. Conversely, sound system manufacturers also aren't trying to match colors with the myriad of car wiring harnesses internationally.

So what does your instruction sheet say the blue/white should be connected to?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Everybody!

I'm new here and I'm also fairly new at wiring up aftermarket stereo decks and what not.

My dilemma is this;

I have the deck installed it powers up, lights up, etc. but no sound!

I understand the speaker wiring, I have the wiring diagram for my 96' e320 which is a w210 with a Bose Audio System. From what I was told as I have a Bose Audio System, 8 or 10 speakers, that each speaker apparently is individually hooked up to a Bose Amp. (OH, and being cheap I cut the stock radio harness to wire it up)

I guess my question is; (and please dumb this down for me as much as possible as I'm very new)

How do I get sound, and I looking for some sort of Amp Trigger Wire , or something to do with my Ant Trigger Wire, or any Wire for that matter?

I can't wait to get this thing to work, any help or advice would be much appreciated! Thank You. :surrender:
I got an 2001 c320 and it seems like jumping the wires from the trunk or by the shifter will make wiring an aftermarket radio more simple I have bought two harness kits that contain one of the same harness now I can get get it powered up and I have the swc box from axxess so my thing is I will either tap into the wires at one of those locations or just run all my inside speakers to a miss amp and call it a day

1 - 18 of 18 Posts