Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 S600,2007 C350, 1994 C280
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

i have a 1994 C280 with the stock stereo. i would like to add a sub. i already have an amp, sub, cap, and hi/lo converter. i would like to the best place to splice in the hi/low, and where i can get the remote wire from? and where is the stock amp located? is it just in the deck itself?

i was thinking i could splice in the hi/low in the trunk from one of the rear speakers, then just pull the remote wire from the power antenna or something. help!

·
Registered
96 s320 and 97 e320
35 Posts
Good idea about tapping from the antenna for remote turn-on. I was just in mine a few days ago trying to figure out what was wrong with my antenna not going up and found that the remote power is at one end of the connector. I don't remember which end tho. With the connector plugged in the remote turn on is closest to the antenna mast. The wire next to it is constant power, the other 2 I don't know. The amp is mounted to the frame next to the antenna. You will probably have to remove it to get the bottom bolt out of the antenna. The wiring harness for the amp comes in right there too and you should be able to determine by color code which wires are the feed wires from the radio and which are the feeds to the speakers.

Good luck....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info, do you know where i can get the stereo schematics?

in the end i will prollie end up splicing in and powering my speakers with another amp.

·
Registered
96 s320 and 97 e320
35 Posts
You don't really need to use another amp. My son has a 94 I sold to him. It had the stock stereo. We took it to a CC and talked to the folks there about putting in his stereo, speakers and sub out of his previous car. They convinced us to try replacing only the stock radio and adding the sub, using the existing speakers and amp . Didn't even have to use a line level converter. Sure enuff it sounds beautiful. I then replaced only my stock stereo, 97 C280, with a blaupunkt and it sounds mucho better. I needed the line level converter. I would only add a sub to mine now too. CC did the install for 160.00 including parts and ran the 2 channel sub inputs and remote turnon from the HU to the rear. I did my own install of the blaupunkt I bought from crutchfield and my total cost was 150.00. My install was a piece of cake. It took all of about an hour and 45 minutes of that time was splicing the line level converter to the wiring harnesses I got with the kit. Without using the line level converter the blaupunkt has the same connectors as the stock radio, except the changer cable harness (who cares as long as you don't have the changer) and an adapter for the antenna.

Recently I also tried his amp in my car and my Bose speakers sounded even better with his amp than with mine. My amp made his system sound worse. You should have the same amp as he does. The part number ends in 0289, mine ends with 2789. BTW, if you happen to pull out the amp, I would certainly want it if it is the same part number as my son's.

I asked in a couple of forums about the wiring diagram but nobody replied to my request.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahhh okay, thanks for the advice. i wont be adding a second amp then. but theres no way im gonna change out the deck. i live in oakland, and san francisco, california. and my car will get broken into so fast once they see the upgraded deck. i know its very sad, i would love to add like a flip out nav system or something. but i know it wont stay in my car for more than a week. i like the idea of adding subs cause you cant pop the trunk from inside the car when you break in, you have to break the lock, or use a key. a big +++

well thanks for you help ddz, i will prollie get started on it next week sometime.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts