Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

installing a hands free car phone utilizing existing wiring..

2227 Views 10 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  NZ Benz
has anyone done this? The '92 600 sel I am getting comes with a phone, but I suppose I will not be able to use it since it's analog? anyway, I am wanting to install a hands free cellular in an attractive way and, if possible, use the existing wiring... Has anyone done this?<br>
<br>
Thank you
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We've discussed this on a BMW message board and to no avail. Difficult to simple wire-in a digital phone to the existing wiring. Can be done with new wiring. I believe you would lose the radio-mute function. You could activate the existing phone if you wish. I have it active and calls are forwarded to my digital phone when I'm out of the car retaining the in-car features.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 95 S-600- and I would not activate the out of date phone- it is (in my opinion) a waste of money- the new cell phones are so great- and the hands free kits are so easy to use- why would you want to deal with that out of date phone ? leave it alone and use your cordless with a hands free kit- great reception easy to use.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a hand-free kit for a Motorola Startac installed today. I didn't like the grungy Verizon installers so I took it to a high-end audio installer. For $225 excluding the kit, they did a fabulous job:<br> <br> - uses the existing in-car speakers on top of the dash (awesome sound!)<br> - mutes the stereo when phone is on a call<br> - utilizes the existing AM/FM/cell antenna<br> - utilizes the existing overhead mic wiring, and just had to change out part of the mic itself<br> <br> So, it's entirely possible to use some of the stuff. You could even put the phone inside the console if you really wanted to; I had a pedestal mounted on the RSH of the tranny hump so that the phone is just to the right of the gear knob. You just have to find a shop where the people are really motivated.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you David,<br> Was the shop you took it a franchise or a one of a kind? <br> I have talked to one audio sound store that has some experience in working with the exisiting wiring in MB & BMW's, but I'm not sure he was real keen on doing it again...<br> Anyway, I'm glad that you have a good result. It gives me hope...<br> Kathy

· Registered
1995 MB S320V: 2006 kawasaki vulcan 900 lt
414 Posts
phone

i was reading a complete description of how to wire in a new nocia phone on one of the other forums about an hour ago, can't remember which one. it has pictures too. mutes the radio as well . he got the kit from england!

· Registered
93 500SEL & 99 S500
1,041 Posts
I too would like information!! I read about putting the bluetooth reciever in, but I do not have a bluetooth phone, and I am not about to buy one!! I would like to simply wire in my existing Motorola phone! Please advise!

· Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,336 Posts
dantefr - 2/13/2006 7:04 PM

I too would like information!! I read about putting the bluetooth reciever in, but I do not have a bluetooth phone, and I am not about to buy one!! I would like to simply wire in my existing Motorola phone! Please advise!
I have a blue tooth phone and just today got a kit for it by a company called blue ant. It will work with all phones. Cost to install is $149(NZ) If you know the cars systems you should be able to do it yourself. The shop I am using have a flat rate of the $149 looking at the post in the DIY section they are in for a suprise as they said it was simple. It may be but to me it looks like a mess.

Sorry I thought that you said that you were going to buy one. Bluetooth phones are a low prices at the moment though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.