Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help here because I unfortunately don't have answers for a few things yet (but hope to once you guys reply, heh ) [;)]

Anyway... I was wondering if a Playstation 2 Mini (or whatever they call the new smaller one) would fit inside the glovebox (the one on front of the passenger). Has anyone got a PS2 Mini and could try to confirm this for me?

I have a standard PS2, but having looked at pics of the newer version, I suspect it might just fit inside that glove box.

My second question, is about the 12V plug in the passenger foot area. Is it also the standard cigarette lighter type plug? AS some of you may know, I don't have any plug there... I did however look at the 12V plug in a CLS and some other MB (forgot which one, lol) and it looked just like a cigarette lighter plug...

Third, I read on these forums that the COMAND system has a video in (cinch connector or something like that) inside. Has anyone seen it, are there any pics of it?

I'm just wondering, how easy would it be to place a PS2 Mini (seems to be the only console that would fit in there easily) in the glove box, get some juice from the electric plug (it's not too hard to find converts that change a standard wall socket plug to a cigarette lighter type connector), and finally, pass a video cable to the COMAND system [:D]

The only other two things left would be to find a place on the comand where the audi cables could be hooked up to, and where to navigate in the menus in order to choose to use the video in feed.

I know they have TV enabled in some countries (Japan?) for the new SLK, and that some tuners in Europe (think it was Brabus) offers this too, so if all of this is possible, why not install a game console too [:)]

Maybe a Game Cube would fit in there if one did not have the CD changer (btw, the european CD changer, as I already mentioned in one other thread, is a thin one, so there's plenty of space underneath it to place a PS2 mini below it, maybe not possible in the American version, which from the sound of it, takes up all the space in the glove box).

Any ambitious minds here want to help me mod my car in order to add a PS2 inside [;)] ?

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Email: [email protected]
Fax/Mailbox number: 07884563928
Subject: RE: R171 Comand Unit. Previous messageNext message

Reply to sender Reply to sender and all recipients Forward this message Delete this message Print this message Print this message as a fax Mark this message as unread
To: [email protected]
Date: 12/04/2005 09:42
Hi Brian,

The comand housing does not have the hole for the video connector...I might
be able to send you a picture of the COAX connector at the main board so you
can see where it gets soldered in...if I can find a digital camera that is
(I left mine at my friends place in the US).

I have plenty of TV tuners and wiring harnesses for those comands...you will
have to use an aftermarket 4way diversity antenna as MB does not have
original antenna amps for the SLK that support the TV feature...a complete
TV kit will cost approx 1300 euro incl. 19% dutch VAT and shipping...

***please leave the string of mails attached in your reply***

greetingz from the Netherlands,
Steve Krabbenborg

www.MBenzNL.com

----Original Message Follows----
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: R171 Comand Unit.
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:36:56 +0100

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your speedy reply, I happen to know a qualified electronics
engineer - a very good one - Me!!!

Do you know if the silk screen on the mainboard is marked up to show the
position of the connector (do you perhaps have a system schematic?) - is
there a blanked off hole in the chassis/case for the connector? and going
back to a couple of my original questions 1) can you supply a suitable tuner
and at at what price? and how do I remove the COMAND head unit? is this done
from behind the dash.

Thanks again in anticipation,

B. Rgds,

Brian.

> --------- Original message ----------
> From : "Steve MBenzNL" <[email protected]>
> To : [email protected]
> Cc :
> Sent : Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:21:39 +0200

> Subject : RE: R171 Comand Unit.
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> DEventhough I mainly perform in the US - our company is actually based in
> the Netherlands...
>
> The SLK comands do not come with the COAX connector needed for the MB TV
> tuner...the unit has all the required software and variable settings (to
be
> set with MB stardiagnose) to support the mercedes TV tuner but is simply
> lacking that connector needed to feed the video signals in.
>
> If you know of a qualified electronical engineer - I am sure he can add
that
> connector to the mainboard after which TV can be connected to the SLK
comand
> as well...
>
> The W211 and R171 comands are exactly the same (except for the faceplate)
so
> if you can source yourself a 211 comand with video connectors (hard to
> find...and beware for the older ones on ebay as those usually have
serious
> problems) you can swap the faceplates...
>
> ***please leave the string of mails attached in your reply***
>
> greetingz from the Netherlands,
>
> Steve Krabbenborg
>
> www.MBenzNL.com
>
>
>
> ----Original Message Follows----
> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: R171 Comand Unit.
> Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:39:49 +0100
>
> I read your very interesting article on the diferences between the
European
> and USA versions of the Comand unit. I live in England and have a UK
spec
> R171 which plays video DVD's etc. I wonder if you could spare the time
to
> answer the following questions:-
>
> 1. How do you remove the Comand unit from the dash.
>
> 2. If the European W211 unit has a co-ax tv tuner input, I wonder if mine
on
> my SLK does also. If it does, are there options in the software to
control
> the tuner, or would I need a software/firmware upgrade. If you think it
> will work, I wonder if you could recomend a suitable tuner, and supply it
as
> well (with the exchange rate as it is at the moment, I get a lot of gear
> from the States - it's cheaper than buying it directly from Germany -
> Bizarre!!)
>
> Thanking you in advance,
>
> Best Rgds,
>
> Brian.
>
>
>

Hi Shiggi wotsit (still can't cope with your name!) Steve at mbenznl.com should have your answers.

Cheers,

Wool.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, I'll send him a mail then [:D]

If I can hook up a video and audio in connectors to the comand, I could hook up a small enough game console, for those long trips [:D]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Shinigami - 4/18/2005 1:31 PM

Cool, I'll send him a mail then [:D]

If I can hook up a video and audio in connectors to the comand, I could hook up a small enough game console, for those long trips [:D]
Not while you are driving I hope...[:0]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No no, I'll leave that to my GF if we ake long road trips. That way she won't be bored if we drive a thousand miles in one day or something [;)]

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
The plug in the side is a generic 12V power outlet but if you dont switch off the game console when you exit the car then how will you know if you are draining the battery or not. i dont know if it is an outlet that is ignition switched.

As for the space I think you need to consider the heat not the room inside. Heat is far more serious than phyiscal space. The thermal buildup can really mess with the equipment.

As for the coax connection. If it does exist then it would surely be SMB (FAKRA) like all of the phone wiring and all of the navigation wiring.

Personally I dont see a prospect for the TV connection working at all since the COMAND expects to see not just a video picture but also a "wakeup" signal coming from a TV tuner that doesnt exist.

If it doesnt get that signal "HEY THIS IS A WORKING TV TUNER" then it will say that nothing is connected. That is one of the features that emulators incorporate if you consider the role of the DIETZ equipment range for COMAND 2.0 and so on.

I surely dont endorse any such company. Just an example.

Your idea is plausible but I dont see enough demand for it to actually work. I would hold out for the TV tuner solution and piggy-back the gaming solution on top of that. It is one method but it always works .... if it is possible.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True, true... but when would that solution come out?

As I mentioned, TV tuner is an option in Japan (maybe importing it here would be the trick?) and Brabus offers stuff like this (even with internet use) for nav systems in MB's. But that'll be an expensive solution :
I know all about heat problems (see plenty of it with the computers I work with [;)] ), and the PS2 might require an extra fan in the glove box, but this too depends on being able to fit the console into the glove box (I have the measurements now, so I'll go see if it would fit). With enough leeway between all 4 sides (top, left, right and behind), it might work without an extra fan. And then of course, the glove box would need to be held open during use (due to the cables from the game controller), so this too would help it breathe (unless I went with wireless controllers).

But you do raise some valid pointers there. I'll see if I can dig up any other info.

·
Registered
SLK 200
8 Posts
What video interface you have thought to put?

I would like to put a TDT Tuner, but I do not find any video interface to be able to connect it.

Greetings

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spoke with someone (Well, wrote to them via e-mail) about this, and there's two things that can be done.

Either replace the head unit for one which has the connectors (think it was the CLK one that would work), or solder an extra board that has the functions, to the missing connectors.

Both methods are kinda expensive (more then I'd like to put into it).

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have none of the info. I was only told about the 'requirements', but you'll have to ask the same person I did about this (the e-mail address is mentioned earlier in this thread).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts