Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,
My c230 does not have a block heater and I went to Weber Mercedes in Edmonton to inquire about installing a block heater. They said it will cost $600(part)+$200(labor). I also asked other shops, they generally charge $250 for everything. I don't know the difference between them.

Do you have any recommendation if I should go with the dealer or non-dealer shops ? or do you know a good shop that can do a good job with a competitive price?

Thank you very much in advance for your reply,
Best regards,
Song

·
Registered
2007 C230 Sport (RWD)
16 Posts
Block Heater

Hello,

I too have a C230. I do not have a block heater installed in mine either, I have the sports version and it is a U.S. vehicle with rear wheel drive, so I just choose not to drive it in the snow. Even with all season tires, it tends to slip.

Mine is a 2007. What year is yours? Is it under warranty? If it is under warranty, Weber might make an issue if you get the block heater installed from a 3rd party. If it is not under warranty I would check with Prestige Auto Repairs. They exclusively work on Mercedes. They are located at 9747-28 Avenue (780 448-4844). Ask them if their work will void warranty.

Generally Canadian tire will also install a block heater. Their labor charge is about $150. You will need to get the parts from Weber. You may also try the other Mercedes dealership on 111 Avenue.

Regards,

T

Dear all,
My c230 does not have a block heater and I went to Weber Mercedes in Edmonton to inquire about installing a block heater. They said it will cost $600(part)+$200(labor). I also asked other shops, they generally charge $250 for everything. I don't know the difference between them.

Do you have any recommendation if I should go with the dealer or non-dealer shops ? or do you know a good shop that can do a good job with a competitive price?

Thank you very much in advance for your reply,
Best regards,
Song

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Thareesh,
Mine is 2005 sport version. I think may be your is V6?? 2007 must be v6. Is your engine quiet? I put the Nokian Hakkapeliitta winter tire on it. I've heard that the nokian is very good but the car can slide still when I gas off a corner.

No warranty left for me. It turns out that the exhaust manifold is blocking the freeze plug and it will take 5hrs+ to do all the work. The cost is around $800. oppss.. There is another choice is to install a pan heater on the bottom of the oil pan. I will check the shops you told me. They may be able to do it cheaper. Thankss alot!
Best Regards,
Song

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just got a picture of the engine. Is this where they install the block heater??
Best regards,
Song
Yes, that's where they install the block heater.

Is that a picture of YOUR car?

"Most" Canadian Mercedes have block heater installed at factory. You would only need the cable! See that photo,... if that round brass colour cover is like that then you don't have block heater installed. If instead of that round brass colour cover, you have black rubber plug thingy in centre of brass colour ring/nut,... with lettering on ring/nut that reads something like "Made In Canada,... 200W 115V" then you already have block heater installed from factory and would only need cable. In which case you should find yourself a better stealership.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you sunnyray,
yes it is a picture of my car TT. It is a US model so no block heater.
Song

·
Registered
2007 C230 Sport (RWD)
16 Posts
Yes, mine is a V6. Despite the winter driving issues, I really like the summer driving and handling on this car. When I bought it, it had Continental performance tires installed by the factory. After they went bald (and they go bald very quickly) I put Michelin all seasons on it (thinking it might do well in winter). Well, it does ok but I am very cautious if I have to drive it in the winter.

The engine is pretty quite (keeping fingers crossed). Although it has had starting issues when temp reaches the negative teens or twenties (celcius) and if I have not started it up for a couple of weeks. I recently started using Husky or Mohawk Octane 94. Premium Plus gas probably every other fill-up. Your car will love it!!

Thank you Thareesh,
Mine is 2005 sport version. I think may be your is V6?? 2007 must be v6. Is your engine quiet? I put the Nokian Hakkapeliitta winter tire on it. I've heard that the nokian is very good but the car can slide still when I gas off a corner.

No warranty left for me. It turns out that the exhaust manifold is blocking the freeze plug and it will take 5hrs+ to do all the work. The cost is around $800. oppss.. There is another choice is to install a pan heater on the bottom of the oil pan. I will check the shops you told me. They may be able to do it cheaper. Thankss alot!
Best Regards,
Song

·
Registered
R350, CLK350, SLK320, TVR Tasmin
30 Posts
You also have the option of an in-line coolant heater. Canadian Tire can put one in for $200 or less.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i use to live in edm.

just moved down to van a few weeks ago.

i believe its a must for block heater...but 800 bucks?? you gotta be kidding me...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, mine is a V6. Despite the winter driving issues, I really like the summer driving and handling on this car. When I bought it, it had Continental performance tires installed by the factory. After they went bald (and they go bald very quickly) I put Michelin all seasons on it (thinking it might do well in winter). Well, it does ok but I am very cautious if I have to drive it in the winter.

The engine is pretty quite (keeping fingers crossed). Although it has had starting issues when temp reaches the negative teens or twenties (celcius) and if I have not started it up for a couple of weeks. I recently started using Husky or Mohawk Octane 94. Premium Plus gas probably every other fill-up. Your car will love it!!

Thanks for your reply,. I really like the handling of the car too. I agree with the winter driving, the ESP sign is showing often even with the winter tires.
Mohawk Octane 94?? I've never heard of it. Is it very good?? I just filled my tank today. I'll definitely try it next time. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i use to live in edm.

just moved down to van a few weeks ago.

i believe its a must for block heater...but 800 bucks?? you gotta be kidding me...

Lucky you!, I just went to Vancouver. It was green and +10'c. Back to Edmonton and it is still freezzing...and white.. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts