Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
C9H9N Offensive Odor Exuder
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,455 Posts
Why not just buy the outer mirror shells color coded to match your car that has the LED blinkers in them? They are all over ebay and not very expensive. Besides, I'd rather have the larger mirrors since the smaller ones are hell to deal with when driving.

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well arent the mirrors shaped differently therefore I have to get a whole new mirror and backing?

If not... Dont I have to wire the blinkers to the mirrors???

·
11,455 Posts
sblackman said:
Well arent the mirrors shaped differently therefore I have to get a whole new mirror and backing?

If not... Dont I have to wire the blinkers to the mirrors???
Yes. You have to splice into the side markers to make the blinkers work. The wires are supposed to be supplied with the mirrors to do this. I think it is a simply butt and clip splicer.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
redeye did this to his ML. I don't know how he did it though.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
cmitch said:
Besides, I'd rather have the larger mirrors since the smaller ones are hell to deal with when driving.
I've always wondered about that.

·
11,455 Posts
bocabenz said:
I've always wondered about that.
Since I own an earlier gen and a later gen ML, I can compare between the two. The newer, smaller mirror, while it looks great, is the most bone-headed thing they could have done for safety. I prefer the 99 mirror for safety.

·
Registered
2004 CL55
1,525 Posts
i've done this mod yesterday. can help with wiring when you decide to swap these. i never liked those large mirrors on my ML. always resembled me 'ears' not mirrors. new ones are much better in my opinion, but i must admit you have to get used to them after you were driving with your old mirrors. they are smaller and you have to catch them with your eye prior to actually looking into the mirror. but then again... fed up with 'ears'. easy to do mod.. like 3/10. ;)

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
cmitch said:
Since I own an earlier gen and a later gen ML, I can compare between the two. The newer, smaller mirror, while it looks great, is the most bone-headed thing they could have done for safety. I prefer the 99 mirror for safety.
And it looks like they got even smaller in the W164. I saw a silver W164 and a new X5 in Viet Nam, and with the bright color on the ML, the dinky mirrors reminded me of Shrek.

YouTube - Mercedes ML vs BMW X5

That said, I still love the 164. :D

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
I agree on the overall safety advantage

cmitch said:
The "Look" is a personal choice, but on the newer w163 the mirror housings look way too small for the relative size of the vehicle. And having driven w163 ML500 loaners they are not nearly as functional as my '99s. Not to mention the interior rear-view mirrors which have that weird reversed panoramic distortion that drove me nuts (the w164 has this too). I'm not worried about the increased wind resistance or raised drag coefficient, I can't hear any wind noise anyway. But for me the issue is when small quick cars go to pass me from the left or right I have an excellent view of their actions when I also try to change lanes at the same time. It aides in my decision to go before them or wait until they pass. Otherwise I can/will cut them off and I just don't want to do that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts