Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport 6-speed
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I just finished installing K&N filters in my 2008 C300 6 speed. I must say I instantly noticed a significant increase in throttle response and also increased partial throttle torque. I gunned it once and it pulls much harder above 5000 rpms. I have read the other threads hut none with a manual transmission. Power gains are more noticible with a manual tranny in my opinion. Has anyone had similar results with K&N filters?!

P.S. I am not worried about he MAF sendsors. I know how to lubricate the filter I wont have any issues.

·
Registered
2008 Steel Grey C300 Sport 6MT
55 Posts
Is install easy enough? What do you mean lubricate filter so sensor doesn't go off?

I have a 6 speed and would love to do this...I also just started driving without ESP on and have noticed an improvement in throttle response as well.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport 6-speed
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No issues...

I mentioned the MAF sensor issue due to other members claiming that KN filter cause malfuntions. Well the ONLY way in can cause a malfunction is if you drench it with the special KN oil after cleaning it, and if you apply the oil on the wrong side. The filters come with instrucions on how to maintain them. I had a 2006 Lancer Evolution with 21lbs. of boost and never had an issue after cleaning and lubricationg it several times. I will dyno it next week just to get an idea of how many WHP the C300 6-spd has. Must say its the best bang for the buck and also cost effective because you will never have to buy air filters again.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport 6-speed
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pep Boys

I bought my filters at pep boys. They were 49.88 each but there was a $10 coupon in their flyer which dropped the price so in total was $85 with tax. Believe me you can hear the difference with the 6-spd C300. Very throaty note and aggressive at high RPM. Low end torque @1500 RPM is increased as well. I believe power gains were across the whole power band. i don't feel a loss of power anywhere. Will update once dynoed.

·
Registered
2008 Mercedes C300 4-Matic Sport
16 Posts
well I'm glad it worked out for u Giovanni. I know how u must feel going from a torque monster like the EVO and now driving a much more slower/sluggish car. I myself owned a 2006 Scion tC with a GReddy custom stage 2 turbo putting 272 Lb ft of torque to the ground before I traded it in for my C300. I miss all the power, but I didn't buy the C-Class to race so I'm content with the way it is. This time around I'm not touching the performance.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport 6-speed
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I miss the EVO

Vinnie I must say that I really miss the EVO but I am quite content with the C300's performance side as well. Going from a 12.9 sec 1/4 mile to a 14.9 is quite drastic. I believe you owe it to yourself to find a C300 manual and flog it hard. You will be surprised how the underdog actually gets up and goes! If they would have made a manual C300 4-matic i would have purchased that instead. I don't want to void te warranty, I just wanted something to give it a little push. I won't do the whole X-pipe deal because MB really outdid itself with the stock exhaust. Perfect diameters, few bends and a lovely exhaust note!! I like the sound of the X-pipe but to me it send the wrong message. For those of you who didn't know the C series exhaust are TRUE DUAL EXHAUSTS! No need to mess with it for now.

Now about replacing those filters.... because the engine cover needs to be removed it might scare some people off, but it is very very simple to remove. You will need a set or Torx wrenches once the engine cover is off. I bought a set for $8 bucks at PepBoys and replaced them right in the parking lot!! I could not wait. After 20,000 miles on my C300 the original filters were extremely dirty and gobs of gunk was cought in the airbox. I'm glad i changed them when I did.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Got 2 new K&N Filters today and installed them. Installation was pretty easy...air filters are inside the top cover and easy to replace with a torx screwdriver.

Gonna drive it hard today on the way home from work and see if I notice a difference in performance and sound.

I also like driving without ESP on...that seems to make the shifts more responsive and car feel snappier as well.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport 6-speed
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy crap gentlemen!! I went to a dyno today. It was a dynomite dynometer which applies load to the drivetrain similar to that of a mustang dyno. He said the numbers are alot lower than a dynojet. Well got to say i am super impressed with my c300....... 207whp and 196?tq. I will scan results tomorrow. He reversed calculated it for dynojet results and it would have been 241whp!! Very impressed and extra happy i installed those filters and chose a 6-spd!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
What are the stock numbers before you put the filters in? How much increase in HP and torque do the filters add?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport 6-speed
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stock numbers

Honestly I do not know what the stock number would have been. We make 228 BHP and 221 TQ stock. Factor in a 13% loss with the manual transmission and it would be 198 WHP and 192 WTQ. With an automatic its more like a 25% loss which would be 171 WHP and 165 WTQ. With the drop in KN filters I put down 207.0 WHP and 196.1 TQ. Adds up to +9WHP and +4 WTQ. Not bad for for under $100. But remember this was a Dynomite Dynometer NOT a dynojet so the number would be higher on a dynojet.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport 6-speed
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dyno Sheet

Here are the dyno sheets one with WHP and the other is actually the BHP which is the Flywheel Horsepower. Let me know what you all think.:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Today my check engine light came on...i pulled out engine cover checked air filters they looked good...made sure i put cover on properly and everything snapped back in place...light is still on...anything else i can check? I installed it last week and drove the car all weekend and today (wednesday) it comes on...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
1,021 Posts
Today my check engine light came on...i pulled out engine cover checked air filters they looked good...made sure i put cover on properly and everything snapped back in place...light is still on...anything else i can check? I installed it last week and drove the car all weekend and today (wednesday) it comes on...

Any ideas?
Oiled up MAF sensor from the filter?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just put the filters in my car...didn't add any extra oil and haven't cleaned them yet with oil. If oil is the problem what is resolution?

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport 6-speed
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Go get your car scanned and let us know what ur problem was. I have no sucu issue with my car after installing the KN filters.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Update: Took off both pieces of the engine cover and put them back on making sure the hole in the back was aligned 100% and snapped back cover on making sure no hoses or anything were pinched or in the way. Then put on front cover and hooked up the little hose and 2 air flow hoses. The light then went out after about 10-15 miles of driving and it's been good for over a day now.

I think the big cover with the air filters wasn't perfectly aligned when i first put it back on...

·
Registered
'08 C350
87 Posts
So there is a chance that if I install the K&N filters I get the engine light even if I dont add extra oil? I'm thinknig of getting the filters but I would hate to have to replace the MAF sensor.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts