Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SL600
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally tore into the console yesterday and installed the GROM audio adapter so I could play music from my phone/MP3 etc though the factory stereo. Of course, the wife came out just as I had everything tore apart. There's a lot of pieces to the center console.

I pulled out the cassette storage and the bat-phone and I'm thinking about pulling out the hands-free device to see if I can build a panel to install a gate/garage opener.

I'm still amazed at how much engineering went into this car. Even the console lid has 2 sensors and and airline plumbed to it for some reason I don't yet understand. are all of these storage bins supposed to lock, and what scenario would make that happen. I don't think I've ever seen them locked.

·
Registered
1991 300SL
132 Posts
Both the center console sliding door and the cubby should lock whenever you lock the specticle binicle.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
I think you did it the hard&expensive way. And OMG, there's no need for the wire from the phone to anywhere.

·
Registered
SL500, GLC300
1,689 Posts
i was thinking of getting the 98 rear view mirror with homelink so that it will work with my garage doors.

·
Registered
94 SL600, 89 Jag XJS conv, 85 Daimler Princess, 97 993 63 Avanti 16 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 16 Silverado
720 Posts
I have speculated that any "homelink" mirror could be mounted to the Benz snap-off mount and the electrical connection could be adapted. If you do that conversion please remember those of us "wanna bees" lurking in the forum and sent photo's and mis-steps!
Thanks in advance.

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
is the rest of that mirror plug-n-play with older cars like a '95? that would be a nice mod.
the 1998 does not have a powered mirror, so your best bet is probably to get creative, and create a hybrid mirror out of the two...

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
>>... so I could play music from my phone/MP3 etc

>>... so that it will work with my garage doors

>> + >> = >>>> there's an app for that ... Much easier than adapting old MB electronics to older MB electronics.

MyDoorOpener.com - iPhone Garage Door Opener
There are other ways, too. Google them.

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
MBvis, enjoy your IPad, it is not everyone's interest to troll with an ipad every time they arrive or leave their house, or let go the steering wheel when they need to skip a track vs putting their arm up and pushing a button in the mirror and center console...

Why don’t you drive your ipad to work as well, since every time someone proposes a new feature for R129, your reply is to either use an Iphone to do it, or bash them to death because the mod is not up to par with your high taste...

Seriously, I am getting sick and tired of your negative interference with everyone endeavors on this board...

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
LOL and OMG, bayhas is very wrong about me again. Please don't be so narrow minded. Open up, man, relax. Read my post carefully. At what point did I say "ipad"?
Put all hatred, anger, agony aside then think. Think deeply, when using the phone to control the garage, people should be stopping on the driveway to do it. It was you who made up the story about "it is not everyone's interest to troll with an ipad every time they arrive or leave their house, or let go the steering wheel when they need to skip a track vs putting their arm up and pushing a button in the mirror and center console..." Those are your words.
The thread started with a phone connection then came along the garage door opener. I don't own any iPhone but it's a popular gadget, millions of iPhones/iPods are sold every month. I only suggested ways that might be easier to do with a popular gadget. There's often an app for the thing that people want to do with ease.
About the garage door open specifically. If you had read that website and googled to broaden your mind, it also worked on Android phone. Android phone is also popular. In my suggestion, an app and some hardware addition to make a working garage door opener for the car is much simpler than adapting old MB electronics.

·
Registered
1998 SL 600 Pano w/AMG. 22k miles // 2013 Subaru STI Stage II
19 Posts
Hey guys, Im resurrecting this thread hoping someone can help me.

I have a 98 SL 600 and purchased the GROM unit with built in bluetooth. I am trying to connect the factory mic to the GROM by detaching the mic cable (that is the black cable that is connected to the white extension cable) from the dash cell phone unit.

I removed the radio and the dash cell (as shown) but was wondering how to get the microphone cable down to the area behind the radio. What else do I need to remove? Any suggestions? Do I have to remove the vents and the lock to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 S500; W140.051
740 Posts
Otahir01, I sent you reply to this on your post of same thing on W140 forum. My suggestion:

Pull back panel out of car phone/sunglasses pod. Use features in flat back panel to pull out toward the opening. This will expose wiring behind & access.

Pull radio & climate control.

Remove carpeted knee bolster on passenger side. Screws nestled up close to trim are removed, a couple of screw underneath removed.

Looking upward from under dash with flashlight, find path to fish wire up or down from sunglasses pod to Grom unit that can nestle next to radio on driver's side.

Use soft steel wire to fish mic cable/extension cable down from sunglasses pod around center vent assy on passenger side to Grom unit.

Confirm all function before closing things up.

In the end, you should have no wires at all visible as the mic cable will be behind the car phone pod like it would be if no car phone option had been purchased on vehicle.

I'm interested in your findings on this as I plan to do exactly the same on 98 SL500.

Keep posting with you findings.

·
Registered
1998 SL 600 Pano w/AMG. 22k miles // 2013 Subaru STI Stage II
19 Posts
I'll try to get on this Thursday. I am hesitant to remove the knee side bolstering. If this requires me to remove the center stack wood or something more in depth, I prob wont risk it.

Hopefully when I remove the trim behind the dash phone, that'll be enough space to find a path to get the wire down. Worst case, I'll remove the vents if need be. I'll keep you posted regardless.

·
Registered
1999 S500; W140.051
740 Posts
Removal of the molded carpeted cover above the knees does not require any removal of wood in center console area.

There are self-tapping screws along top edge where carpeted piece meets vinyl. I think there may be three screws on top, nestled in the carpeting. Feel along top using light to see and you will find them. Another few screws on the bottom that are easier to see. Remove the screws and piece comes out easily.

You will have a courtesy lamp to un-plug as well.

Locate the screws along the top; it's much easier than you think to remove the knee bolster.

·
Registered
1993 Sl 500
463 Posts
Grom

I quite fancied fitting a Grom unit however it only seems to work on 94 and up models. My car was registered November 1993 so I hoped it might be a 1994 model but I sent Grom a pic. of the back of the Audio CD 10 and the guy there said that the spare port where I have 5 pins would need to have 8 pins for their unit to work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts