Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
R Class
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Southern California and today the temps reached 100 degrees. I was not looking forward to another summer in my "Black on Black" R Class, since the Panarama glass roof does a great job as a solar powered space heater. After researching glass tinting options I was surprised to read about a "ceramic" coated window tinting material that not only reduces Ultra Violet radiation but also Solar heat gain inside the vehicle by rejecting up to 58% of solar heat.

I found a thread on this site that mentioned a company and material called, "Huper Optik" and it sounded very promising. I called a local window tinting company and they had an equivalent Ceramic window tinting product, the "Pinnacle" series from FormulaOne. I had the ceramic tint installed on the Panarama roof today and on the drive home noticed a significant reduction in the amount of heat radiating from the Panarama glass roof. Whereas before the roof became almost too hot to touch in direct sunlight, now the glass roof is much cooler. In addition, the "ceramic" tint is not metallic so there are is none of the electronic interference that the metallic windshield creates nor was it necessary to go with a dark "limo" tint to get the heat reduction benefits as the "lightest" tint (which I selected) still rejects 49% of solar heat gain.

I realize I have only experienced this product for less than a day but the difference in the heat radiating from the Panarama roof during the 40 minute drive home from the installer in 100 degree heat was very encouraging. If this material performs as promised I intend to have all the windows done.

·
Registered
2007 R320 CDI
61 Posts
Sounds like a great product!

My R doesn't have the pana roof, just a regular sunroof. But whatever the tinting on the sunroof and the windows, I find it also cuts down on the infrared radiation, making the interior of the vehicle much cooler than I expect.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
I always suspected the pano roof was a cooker in the summer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Please do let me know if they can do the windows for you (if you decide to do it). I have asked two shops to do the side windows but both of them said the window seals were two tight to "slide in" the ceramic film (thicker than normal film) in the window.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have Huper Optik on my Audi. Great product, but like THR500 said, it is difficult to install. You will pay a premium not just for the film, but the installation as well. Another benefit of ceramic is that it does not interfere with radio signals. In general, Huper Optik films will reduce heat by about 50% with 99% UV rejection. Absolutely worth the extra cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts