Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E55
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like the look -- helps to break up the "mono" part of the monoblocks, and also sets off the star on the cap. Goes gret with my black car, not so sure it would look quite as good with other colors). Will try and post pics later this week.

For those interested in doing this type of mod, thought I'd post my removal technique. The issue is that there is the caps pop outward, but there is nowhere to get leverage to remove the cap -- surface is flush with the wheel with zero openings.
A search of all of benzworld turned up several posts on this topic, with the primary advice being "remove the whole wheel and then pop out from the rear" to avoid scratches. To me that sounds like WAY too much work for this simple mod, particularly if doing all 4 wheels.
Others suggested hotgluing something to the centercap and then pulling it off, still others preferred drilling a hole into the cap and then pulling out with a hook.
However, I was able to remove and install all 4 caps with the exclusive use of a very small screwdriver.
First, pry off the plastic star on the center cap itself, which should come off rather easily with a few prods (it is actually pretty dinky plastic). That leaves a multitude of small holes in the old cap, inside of which you can easily fit the shaft of the small scredriver. Then gently pry off the old cap. All four wheels were done in about 5-10 minutes, no scratches anywhere.

Only drawback here is that you do ruin the old cap in the process, so be sure you are ready to complete the swap before beginning (I did not have this issue since one of the stars on my front left cap was gone to begin with).

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I got the CL65 AMG blue/silver center caps, they look alot better than the stock dull grey ones. really makes them look like much nicer wheels. I'm all for upgrading center caps, show pics :)

·
Registered
2002 E55
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SaMaS said:
Pics Or Ban ! :)
Trying. Digital camera is out of town with the wife right now. Hopefully this weekend.

·
Registered
2002 E55
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pics of the black center caps

Not the best of pics, but you can get a feel for the look. Very pleased.

Attachments

·
Registered
Oo == oO 98 E320
674 Posts
It looks ok on a black car but, even then, I'm not exactly getting an increased pulse rate.

·
Registered
2002 E55
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
johnamoss said:
It looks ok on a black car but, even then, I'm not exactly getting an increased pulse rate.
Well, it is only a $36 mod. Not exactly stuff to get that excited about.
Just a slightly different look.

·
Registered
TT
500 Posts
Nice car , definetly different look good job, were did you get black center caps I'm thinking to powder coat my rims in black or gunmetal colors if I go with black I will need center caps ... thanks

·
Registered
2002 E55
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SaMaS said:
Nice car , definetly different look good job, were did you get black center caps I'm thinking to powder coat my rims in black or gunmetal colors if I go with black I will need center caps ... thanks
Thanks.
Don't think admin will allow the site posting, but let's see if there is a creative way to tell you. Site is where you can get anything "for my mercedes" .
Of course you will need a .com at the end of that to get where you want to go.
They offer several different types of caps that will fit any W210. I preferred these however.
Dealer wanted $18 per cap for stock caps, so $36 for all for of these was a pretty good deal to me. They look to be the same design as the OM cap as far as how it attaches to the wheel, so I'm hoping they hold up long term.

If you want more info, fee free to PM me.

·
Registered
2001 E55
117 Posts
There are tons of different finishes ranging from Carbon Fiber to Rust Red listed on E-pay! I think the black looks great! I did the carbon fiber. Looks decent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts