Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLK230/ 2006 Passat/ 1995 Bronco (Prerunner)
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok everyone. I am sure a number of you have been waiting for this. I (my wife) took a ton of pictures today as I finished up my projector halo angel eye headlights. I will try to be a complete as I can. Here goes.

First of all. The headlights are of a decent quality. There are a few flaws (missing plugs in bottom of one assy where halo power wires come through, chrome inside headlight on one near turnsignal a little...not smooth) but over all for a Taiwan deal its good. I am not embarrassed to have them on my car at all. I had to screw with the fitment for a while to figure out how to make them look the best and this is why I am posting. Now on to the install.....

First, the headlight comes with a small bolt thing attached to the outer lower edge that they say to install first then pop the headlight onto it (it looks like a headlight adjuster type of thing but isn't). Seen in upper left of pic.

As you can see in the picture when it bolts in, the part that snaps into the headlight is about 1" above the threads. I couldn't use this the lights would have never fit. I don't know if its because I have a sport kit or if all bumpers mount the same. here is what I ended up doing. I just let it sit there. It supports weight and the headlight doesn't move like that. I tried make adjutment holes larger and other things but this worked best.

All I did was remove the rubber thing that the stock headlight bolts to and with a little finess, bolt the lights in.

Once you install with just the harness and not city lights or halos this is what you have.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now the wiring...... I have a 1999 so the connector on my car doesn't work with the one on the headlights (this has been mentioned before in other threads). I called my local dealer and gave him the part number 170 820 11 15 and he gave me the harness' that I needed ($32.50 each). I went home and installed them and the headlights (high and low) worked great. The city light doesn't light up. This is because the harness you order has the wire as does the lights but US spec cars don't come wired for city lights. I spent about 1.5 hrs at the dealer again today finding the part number for the pin to add this and look factory.

The pin part number is 008-545-53-26 and they were $2.25 each (you need 2)

This is the part you need.

Crimp a wire to it ( I used white wire because thats what the headlights already had)

Then, take the connector look inside the end and you will see a white clip

pop it up

Remove the white plug that fills the empty hole

insert the wire from the other end. making sure to note the direction the other sit.

close the white clip again.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
More to come in a little while...gotta go with the wife.

Ok, now that covers the headlight side of the harness but you still have to send the 12V from the park lamp circuit to power the city lights. What I did was found the wires used on the turn/park lights and tapped in there. I don't like cheesy installs so here is how I did it. YOu can use those blue wire taps instead if you like.

This is the connector. On the sides you have two releases that will allow you to remove it exposing the terminals. They are 4mm post style and the stock wires solder in place. I desoldered the wire for the park lamp inserted the other end of the wire and resoldered them both in place.

When you are done the wiring should look like this. You can see the white wire running from one connector to the other with no cuts or anything cheesy looking going on...except the black electrical tape I used every inch or so to hold it in place and look clean.

·
Registered
SLK 320, C350 CDI
311 Posts
Can you tell me if the projector part of the light can be removed from the unit or is it plastic welded in? can you post a picture of the back of the light with the rubber bungs removed ?

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Sport
149 Posts
Thanks for all of the input! I can't wait to see how it turns out.
I hate to be needy, but when it's done, could you please take some pictures of the beams it puts out?
I just know sometimes (most of the time according to a flashlight fanatic friend who spends time on flashlight forums) the beam pattern or whatever is horrible for after market projector beam lights.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Silverslk..which year SLK has the headlight harness that doesn't need the adaptors..I was looking to just replace each headlight harness to one that doesn't require to purchase a seperate adaptor...the city lights your talking about are those also know as daytime running lights ?

Thanks !!!

·
Registered
1997, SLK 200
371 Posts
Pre facelift models require an adapter. 2001+ models (with blinkers in mirror) does not need the adapters.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
krupple said:
Thanks for all of the input! I can't wait to see how it turns out.
I hate to be needy, but when it's done, could you please take some pictures of the beams it puts out?
I just know sometimes (most of the time according to a flashlight fanatic friend who spends time on flashlight forums) the beam pattern or whatever is horrible for after market projector beam lights.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok heres where I get flamed. I chose to wire up the angel eyes (the wife said sheliked them, I was not going to do so, if your married you will understand). I think the headlights look too "busy" with city lights, park lights, and angel eyes in such a small area. but oh well. I am thinking of getting the part number for the euro spec turn signal connector because it does away with the park light always being on and just lights for turning. If anyone can get me the part number that would be great.

It was getting late so I have no more pics for this. I wired the angel eyes together underneath the headlight and only ran one red/black up so not too many wires would be seen. I ran the wires in the back of the city light bulb holder and soldered them to the connections. All I have is one red/black running up to the top. I can post pic of the wires and the soldering in the connector if anyone likes. I will take pics of the "busy" lights tonight and post up.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Myzt said:
Nice article! I guess the white cable is only needed for US versions?
I "think" so. If your car has fuctional city lights from the factory you won't need it.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Sport
149 Posts
Myzt said:
Nice article! I guess the white cable is only needed for US versions?
I read you need an assembly kit if you don't have an SLK with turn signals in the side mirrors. I think that started in 2000-2001? Guys?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
silverslk said:
I can post pic of the wires and the soldering in the connector if anyone likes. I will take pics of the "busy" lights tonight and post up.
I would appreciate pics of the solder connections for both the city lights (so I'll now exactly which wires in the connector to solder to) and where the angel eyes are soldered to the back of the city lights...I will try to wire it up the same way. If you can get the euro spec turn signal connector, let us know the part number. The way you have the lights wired now, if you do get the euro connectors won't the angel eyes only light up with the turn signals (which might be ok)?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
16falcon said:
If you can get the euro spec turn signal connector, let us know the part number.
The connector will have a part number on it (thats how we finally found the right pin for the headlight connector) IF one of our overseas friends can get us the number off theirs we can try to order some.

16FALCON said:
The way you have the lights wired now, if you do get the euro connectors won't the angel eyes only light up with the turn signals (which might be ok)?
No the wires they are on now are for the "park lamp circuit" not the turning circuit. There are three wires in the connector 1 for turn, 1 for Park and 1 shared ground

16falcon said:
I would appreciate pics of the solder connections for both the city lights (so I'll now exactly which wires in the connector to solder to) and where the angel eyes are soldered to the back of the city lights...I will try to wire it up the same way.
On the drivers side its the grey/blk stripe for park/city lights and on passenger side its grey/red stripe

Here is how I wired the city lights to the angel eyes. This is the headlight that was missing the plugs I was talking about...a little annoying but not a deal breaker. I just used some silicon sealant and no problem. Not really a problem here in Southern Cali but if it rains alot you would get moisture in the lights.

And here it is ALL DONE. I think it looks real clean the way I did it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yeah.....I have not been feeling well this weekend and I forgot to mention.

About the park/turn signals. The US spec cars will have to use the original light bulb/holder. The EURO spec ones only have single filament bulbs (for turn only, that I want) and the connectors are different enough that I can't just re-wire them to fit.

·
Registered
04 CLK500-AMG, 06 SRX
17 Posts
Job Well Done

Your step x step detailed instal guide is well done, not only because of quality of the install, but you have made it easy to follow.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I don't like the angel eyes but will not flame you about them. Now if you were running 20" wheels with neon that would be a different matter ;)

I am interested in how you would compare the quality of light with the projectors when compared to stock.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Sport
149 Posts
430 said:
I don't like the angel eyes but will not flame you about them. Now if you were running 20" wheels with neon that would be a different matter ;)
Haha, add "With tacky chrome door handles and trim."

1 - 20 of 245 Posts