Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 e350 with command unit. I wanted to install the navigation system to it. I was planning on buying the OEM navigation drive from ebay. Has anyone done this? Is it possible to just plug into the trunk wiring?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Works great!

I did it. While I didn't dare buy it from a certain South Korean source on Ebay as they will only accept cash, I did purchase a refurbished OEM navigation drive from my local dealer for $800 (as opposed to the $200 on Ebay which is also a refurbished unit according to them). My dealer installed and programmed everything and I'm a happy camper for that. Total cost, including the OEM navigation DVD was $1600.00 A little steep, but I prefer having navigation at my fingertips than having to lament that I didn't bring the Garmin just when I needed it or that it got stolen from my car. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You can do it, but you'll also have to have your dealer version code the car so that it recognizes the new unit.

You can reference part numbers at COMAND, COMAND-APS & Audio-50-APS Part Numbers
Just a footnote...

MOST W211's 2004+ only need the instrument cluster recoded so that the NAV directions will show on the MFD. The NAV will work without going to the shop. But I guess thats the same thing. YOu have to go anywayz..

·
Registered
30 Posts
A little steep, but I prefer having navigation at my fingertips than having to lament that I didn't bring the Garmin just when I needed it or that it got stolen from my car. :thumbsup:

Understand the 'want it in the car' thing. Unfortunately, unlike the Garmin, the MB system is pretty much unusable by the driver while moving (I find it difficult to use even while stationary), and if you are like the rest of us Garmin owners you will find the database in the system VERY disappointing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Two different animals

I agree with your assesment. They are two different animals altogether. Still, I'd rather have the MB Navigation in my E class than not having it. I have a Garmin too which I use whenever I rent a car and which I also use in my '08 ML 320 CDI which has MB Navigation but ironically I can't use because there are no maps for my area for use in the ML headunits. Go figure. :mad:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Installing Plug&Play Nav

Glad I saw this post -- I'll save the aggravation of buying a used one and stick with my Garmin. You guys were writing about this in 'o8 and I just got my '05 CDI and was seriously going after the nav unit. Thanks, you've made up my mind. Isn't this site great? Rick

·
Registered
109 Posts
That's what it's for. Other owners like you would benefit in doing research on this forum for answers to their questions as you obviously did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can do it, but you'll also have to have your dealer version code the car so that it recognizes the new unit.

You can reference part numbers at COMAND, COMAND-APS & Audio-50-APS Part Numbers
Hi I have 2007 E350. The DVD Nav Command Unit broke so I replaced it with 2007 E350 DVD Nav Unit. However, when I turn on the screen MB logo comes up briefly and then the screen shuts down. Questions:

1. Will 2006 DVD Nav drive work with 2007 E350? And is there any reprogramming necessary?

2. What is the basic trouble shutting of the NAV system?

3. By not having DVD Nav drive connected at all (in the trunk), will the Nav screen display anything or play radio or CD's?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can I change the Duetche language to English in my Navigation system (Auto Pilot System) for my E320 1998 as I imported it from Germany? any English catalog for it, I'm living in IRAQ and we dont have any official dealer or any certified service center,
Thanks,

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Hi I have 2007 E350. The DVD Nav Command Unit broke so I replaced it with 2007 E350 DVD Nav Unit. However, when I turn on the screen MB logo comes up briefly and then the screen shuts down. Questions:

1. Will 2006 DVD Nav drive work with 2007 E350? And is there any reprogramming necessary?

2. What is the basic trouble shutting of the NAV system?

3. By not having DVD Nav drive connected at all (in the trunk), will the Nav screen display anything or play radio or CD's?
An old post, I assume you have found answers from other threads on the forum.

1) I did not check from EPC but I'm pretty sure these are compatible.
2) engineering mode, check wiring and fibre connectors, no bent fibre, power reset devices on the MOST ring, by-pass devices...
3) Comand should work normally even if no Nav DVD was inserted. I assume you get "navigation not available" or a similar message if the DVD is not inserted.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Hi, can you please advise on how i can power up a head unit from a 2004 E class (it got water damaged) on the work bench.
Thanks
This could have been a new thread. Is that Comand head unit? If you connect power and ground, you might get it up for a moment from the power button but when it does not see other fibre ring devices, I believe it would shut down.

Why not fix the unit first and then try at the car. It is not necessarily good to power up if it has water. Has it been raining a lot or how did the head unit get wet?

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Can I change the Duetche language to English in my Navigation system (Auto Pilot System) for my E320 1998 as I imported it from Germany? any English catalog for it, I'm living in IRAQ and we dont have any official dealer or any certified service center,
Thanks,
I guess this is an integrated head unit with navigation built in. You should find a settings menu, if it does not allow you to change language to English, you would likely need a CD inserted to load the language files (I have never used one of these APS devices from 1998).

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
There's navigation system for mercedes w211 available with the price of only US$599, 2 Din Benz W211 DVD Player - E Class Benz W211 GPS Navigation Radio Bluetooth [8797] - US$599.80 : Cars-electronics.com the installation is plug and play? I want to install it by myself and I was looking for another unit for my r350, is installation the same which is plug and play?
I would not worry about installation with these devices. I would be worried about the repair cost and unit unavailability time because of repairs.

There are different views though at the forum about these radios. Those who sell these, say the product is brilliant. Those who have bought one have "the other" opinion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rather than starting a new thread this seems like a pretty good place to post.
I've been looking for quite some time now and can't find the right answers for my application. I have a 2000 E320 wagon with Bose command. It has a phone & Cd rom Nav, but no changer installed.

So the Nav system takes up to an hour sometimes before it can read the disks. Maybe it's dirt on the lens, I don't know, I blew compressed air in there, it didn't help.

I see three options.

1. I would like to find something better to replace the command system with but I find nothing for my car. Anything out there?

2. Failing that, if I install the CD changer will it run the nav disks from there or is it just for audio? This is my second choice because if it works I wouldn't have to change disks between NW (Disk 2) & Cal/Nev (Disk 1) the downside to this and the third option is the sparse route and street info available with the CD's

3. Get the one I have repaired or replaced. The upside to this is that every thing works with the rest of the car. The downside is the same downside in option 2.

I could care less if the phone works. It's the original Star Tac. Its in there, I don't use it.

It has the aux input for the iPod going to the glovebox which I do use. It's not as good as having full control over it but I can tell the wife to work it so its good enough.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
The CD changer would not read your Navi-CDs. You might find a shop that fixes the CD-drive from you COMAND at an acceptable cost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
E 350 navigation

Hi there. I have 2006 mercedes e 350 and want to add navigation system.
I tried to connect fiber optic but did not find connector which is usually under the back seat of driver side.
Someone can help me??
Thank's

1 - 20 of 22 Posts